PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Advice Request

Odd Man Out
03-08-2013, 00:38
I'm looking to do an AT section hike this summer (~90 miles?). Looking at the maps, one of the closest spots on the trail I could drive to in a day from home and has good trail access is Pearisburg VA. My thought was to drive all day, spend the night at a hotel/hostel that will let me park my car for a week, get a shuttle to take me 90 trail miles north (Daleville) or south (Atkins) and hike back to the car. Here are the questions.

1. How do you pronounce "Pearisburg"? (paris burg, peeris burg, peers burg, pairs burg, etc...)
2. Which section (N or S of Pearisburg) would you recommend?
3. Are there any reasonable resupply options a few days N or S of Pearisburg, or should I plan on packing 90 miles worth of supplies? (I checked the resupply article and didn't see much listed).
4. Do you recommended a place for lodging on the first and last night with parking? I saw a few recommendations for the Rendezvous Motel and Woods Hole Hostel. Comment on these or others?

Thanks

Cookerhiker
03-08-2013, 07:58
I haven't personally stayed at the hostel but everyone raves about it. For my section hikes in the Pearisburg (Pair-us-berg) area, I've stayed at the Rendezvous. They let me store the car there and provided shuttles. Don Raines aka Ratfaceraines on WB is also a good shuttler.

Hiking NOBO is better for resupply.

Cookerhiker
03-08-2013, 12:45
This recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93080-North-or-South-from-Pearisburg-VA) may help you.

FlyPaper
03-08-2013, 13:02
I'm looking to do an AT section hike this summer (~90 miles?). Looking at the maps, one of the closest spots on the trail I could drive to in a day from home and has good trail access is Pearisburg VA. My thought was to drive all day, spend the night at a hotel/hostel that will let me park my car for a week, get a shuttle to take me 90 trail miles north (Daleville) or south (Atkins) and hike back to the car. Here are the questions.

1. How do you pronounce "Pearisburg"? (paris burg, peeris burg, peers burg, pairs burg, etc...)
2. Which section (N or S of Pearisburg) would you recommend?
3. Are there any reasonable resupply options a few days N or S of Pearisburg, or should I plan on packing 90 miles worth of supplies? (I checked the resupply article and didn't see much listed).
4. Do you recommended a place for lodging on the first and last night with parking? I saw a few recommendations for the Rendezvous Motel and Woods Hole Hostel. Comment on these or others?

Thanks

Here is the section I would recommend.

http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=EV&k2=FN&h=2d082132&year=2013

It takes you past McAfee Knob and Dragon's tooth. There is a store just off the trail a little south of Catawba. I think you could resupply there. Or since you're driving in, you might be able to drop off a resupply there and pick it up as you go through. At the very least, you should check it out before depending on a resupply there. Here is the address: Catawba Grocery, 5944 Catawba Valley Drive, Catawba, VA 24070. Unfortunately, it is around 30 miles from the north of this section, so you'd have to pack for other 60.

Don Raines is great for a shuttle. (RatFace). I've never been to the Rendezvous in Pearisburg, but I called them on the phone and arranged to park there for a couple of nights. They didn't have a problem with it. I wound up not needing to park there though.

Almost There
03-08-2013, 14:40
I'm doing 104 miles from Dickey Gap to Pearisburg. I've done most of Va now, and I'd agree with the others that hiking north from Pearisburg is a great hike. Good luck with your hike!

Boyle10
03-08-2013, 15:12
I stayed at the Holiday Motor Lodge, and would highly recommend it. It is super cheap, and was actually really clean. I agree with FlyPaper on the section to do. Lots of great views, very enjoyable section. Enjoy!

HikerMom58
03-08-2013, 15:44
Good luck with your hike- if you choose to hike north of Pearisburg, I'm near Daleville. There is a park and ride where you could park your car. Plenty of other places to leave your car parked as well. If you need anything, at all ,while in the area give me a holla.

Don would be a great shuttle for you. If for some reason that doesn't work out... I could prob. shuttle you back to Pearisburg from Daleville. Have a great hike. :sun

Also, If you need a bucket for stashing resupply along that section. I have one. I would be willing to retrieve it after you pass by. You could "stash it" on your way back to Pearisburg. Just a thought.

ratfaceraines
03-08-2013, 17:42
1. PEAR(LIKE THE PEAR) IS BURG. 2. north would be the better of the two hikes. 3. the only re-supply (to speak of), north of pearisburg [and that is limited] would be catawba---20 miles south of daleville. 4. woodshole hostel is an attraction in itself, 540-921-3444, good place to park--great place to stay. it's 11 miles south of pearisburg. it's an easy start, with a gentle up--you end the hike with two nice vistas--angels' rest and wilburn valley overlooks. i'm don. i shuttle anytime, anywhere. feel free to call me at 540-921-RIDE(7433)

Odd Man Out
03-08-2013, 23:07
Thanks for all the advice and offers. Sounds like hiking South from Daleville to Pearisburg is a good bet with some resupply options a couple of days in at Catawba (the store seems to be about 0.5 miles from the trail, if I read Google Maps correctly). I hadn't thought of spotting some supplies en-route. Mailing a package to them or just buying a ton of granola bars would work too.

Thanks for the offers Hiker Mom. If I need any special help I could let you know when dates are firmed up. However, I would rather park in Pearisburg and shuttle up to Daleville and hike south. It is already a 600 mile drive to Pearisburg and driving further to Daleville the first day would maybe be too much, and I would be driving right though Pearisburg to get there anyway. Also, thanks for the bucket offer, but but I have plenty of buckets (but they all smell of beer - I'm a home brewer).

Kerosene
03-09-2013, 15:20
The drive from Michigan is surprisingly easy. I've done it at least 5 times from Ann Arbor since 2000. Interestingly, I always found that I could drive straight through on the return trip.

Catawba is only 2 days south of Daleville, max. If you're not going to use a bucket cache, then I'd avoid a re-supply. Then again, you might want to take advantage of The Homeplace for an AYCE family style dinner (which unfortunately I was never able to take advantage of).

The section from Daleville to Craig Creek Valley can get surprisingly rocky in sections. It's not exactly difficult, but it will slow you down a bit in places.

From north to south, I really enjoyed the view of Carvins Cove Reservoir, Tinker Cliffs and the "caves" below them, McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, Audie Murphy Monument, the fields after Sinking Creek Mountain and the Keffer Oak, and finally the long, lush ridgline of Peters Mountain. This is a pretty popular 92-mile stretch for section hikers. I covered this section in a total of 5 1/2 hiking days when I was in my mid-40s.