PDA

View Full Version : Packs on planes

RibbonInTheWillow
03-08-2013, 03:10
Hey all, so I'm taking a flight from MS to GA straight through no layovers, and had plans to check my pack so I could pack my knife and possibly fuel. How do you guys do it so your stuff isnt crushed and wrecked when you get to Atlanta?

My ideas have included: pack it in a cardboard box, put it in some heavy duty trash bags, and I don't know after that. I have two trekking poles and two foam pads that will be on the outside of the pack, not to mention a water bottle. Please inundate me with ideas, bc I know my pack is too big to carry on and I would just get sick if something happened.

leaftye
03-08-2013, 03:56
Don't pack fuel. You should be able to get a storage bag at the airport. I believe having a gun gets your checked luggage stored in a hard case that's tracked much better than normal luggage. Personally, I'd rather ship my gear ahead.

Tuxedo
03-08-2013, 05:54
No Fuel but everything else will work in the box. I did the same checked-luggage in box and homeland security did open, inspect and reseal the box. Nothing missing, damaged or overly disturbed.

RibbonInTheWillow
03-08-2013, 07:18
Thanks! That makes me feel a little less paranoid

Zmaidment
03-08-2013, 07:36
Wrap it in plastic wrap.

bigcranky
03-08-2013, 09:58
Get a cheap nylon duffle and put your gear in it. Use the sleeping pad to pad your gear, wrap things so they don't break, etc.

No fuel -- you'll just get arrested if they find it. (Plus it's really not safe.) Buy it when you get to the trail. Any of the shuttlers will stop at an outfitter for you.

Prime Time
03-08-2013, 10:10
I'm planning on putting my pack into an old duffel bag along with a USPS mailing box with my food, liquids, gels, and anything else they might be curious about, in it. When I get to Atlanta, I'll pack my food and other stuff from the box, and stick the empty duffel bag into the empty box and mail it home. You can now (as of some date in mid March) carry your trekking poles on board, which I intend to do. I then plan on packing my tent with the poles, plus my Jet Boil, in the middle of my pack and beyond that I can't think of anything that's likely to get damaged. NO FUEL, not even a whiff of it in the stove, or they might confiscate it.

rusty bumper
03-08-2013, 10:11
I bought a cheap suitcase (less than $30) at the local discount house for my pack and hiking poles. When I got to Atlanta, I gave the suitcase to the proprietor of the B&B I stayed at. The only thing I didn't pack was alcohol fuel. I bought the fuel at the outfitter in Dahlonega.

Coffee
03-08-2013, 10:17
I've heard that there is an option to have TSA screen checked luggage in the presence of the traveler. Anyone know how to go about requesting that without coming across as some kind of security threat? I'd feel a heck of alot better having TSA inspect everything in front of me rather that watch my pack go down a conveyer belt to be inspected later.