PDA

View Full Version : Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform SW - best thing I've seen in a long time

stranger
03-08-2013, 03:52
Check it out...

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/gear-room/complete-shelters/cirriform-sw

leaftye
03-08-2013, 04:02
It's a very nice looking shelter, but I really wish it had more interior height. With the design of the tent, it's going to make it feel awfully short inside. For reference, the TT Contrail is 4 inches taller and the Zpacks Hexamid is 6 inches taller. The TT Moment is two inches shorter inside, but the peak is in the middle where it's most usable.

stranger
03-08-2013, 07:47
Yeah, an interior height of 48-50 inches would be more my speed, but it's far more weatherproof than the Zpacks Hexamid, it's also substantially lighter than the Tarptent Contrail.

But sure...on the height, 50 inches would probably work better, it's also brand new so I would imagine this design will change.

Dodds1990
03-09-2013, 10:35
Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZmP7sNfaI

Dodds1990
03-09-2013, 10:36
I don't know if you are familiar with Sticks Blog but the video above shows the new Cirriform SW and it is very roomy inside.

just dad
03-09-2013, 14:56
I met the owner, Magnet, on the AT a few summers ago. He was out for an overnighter testing some of his new products. I was near the end of a section hike with my children. Magnet shared his dinner with us and he was great company. His products appeard to be exceptionally well made.

Odd Man Out
03-09-2013, 15:14
I wonder how much ventilation there is along the sides. Hard to tell from the pictures. I worry about condensation vs the 2-wall version. I've been looking at similar 2-wall configurations from MLD and Bear Paw Designs.

stranger
03-10-2013, 03:12
On the sides it looks like about 3-4 inches of mesh that will allow good cross ventilation in my experience, I actually had a VERY similar tent years ago my MSR (Fling) which was extremely similar in many ways, just too heavy for a single wall (3lbs).

You WILL get condensation in any tent, and in a single wall, you are exposed to it...I doubt this tent will be any different, but 18 ounces? Has to be a trade-off somewhere, other than price obviously.

I would love to see him come up with a side entry, the only thing I struggle with is that #$%& pole in the middle of the entrance. I would love to see a Yama version of something like the SMD Lunar Solo or MLD Cricket.

I've also had very good experiences with Gen from Yama, I actually co-designed the Stratiform tarp in 2009 with him for a hike I did in Australia. Very good guy, very good company.