PDA

View Full Version : What can I get at Walmart?

Lefty Red
03-08-2013, 11:24
From my experience in cycling, I quickly learned that a bike shop will take an el cheapo item, put a picture of a bike on it and triple the price.

I've seen the same thing in outdoor gear too. Walmart sells a trowel for under $5 that REI sells for $16. I bought neither one since sticks are free and I have an extra tent stake.:)

I understand that my experience as a weekend and short trip backpacker doesn't fully qualify me to evaluate gear for the long haul. I've seen though, through trail and error, some of the things where I needed/wanted to spend some dough - almost anything with down or wool, a lightweight tent, Osprey packs, I've also used a few things from Walmart that seem to be cheaper and as functional as need be: grease pot, HEET, butane gas, wool socks, synthetic base layers (which will end up smelly but are cheap enough to replace), a beanie/skullcap/tuque, a head lamp. My question is - what other things could you good folks suggest I get at Walmart (or other discount) store?

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 11:30
TP, tent stakes, Deet, Absorber towel, compass, paracord,... thinking.

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 11:33
Don't buy tent, sleeping bag, pad, pack, etc at discount store. Too important of items to skimp and end up with heavy item and inferior quality. IMHO

Rasty
03-08-2013, 11:35
They sell a three piece roll-top stuff sack set for about $10. Permithrin, Starter brand clothing.

Lefty Red
03-08-2013, 11:43
Thanks y'all. I did spring for the expensive stuff (for me) - tent, sleeping bag, pad, pack - tent = Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2, Sleeping bag = Montbell Super Spiral, sleeping pad = Klymit and packs = Osprey.

Those roll top bags from Walmart are pretty good. The permethrin is a great idea. I have a Starter brand fleece and a couple of dry fit shirts. I'll look through there other stuff too.

Keep it coming!

brian039
03-08-2013, 11:50
The stuff sacks they have there have worked fine for me. Also the Starter shirts that you mentioned are fine as well as the shorts. I bought a Coleman stove that is equivalent to the MSR Pocket Rocket that lasted me until Vermont. The Dry Ducks rain gear could work too, though they are likely to rip at some point.

Tuckahoe
03-08-2013, 11:56
My local Walmart doesnt have a large selection. Persoanlly I would not buy my pack, sleeping bag, or tent there. But they do carry CCF pads, stuff sacks and dry bags, pack covers, cook pots, utencils, lights, and consumables like fuel cannisters.

wcgornto
03-08-2013, 11:59
I find the Walmart Outdoor Products stuff sacks to be better, much better, than the Sea to Summit ones that too quickly leak heavily at the seams.

Rocket Jones
03-08-2013, 12:05
Spare batteries for your headlamp.

In the kitchen accessories aisle look for aluminum disposable oven drip pans - cut one up for a stove windscreen.

Automotive: reflective foil windshield screen - cut it up and reassemble with duct tape for a pot cozy.

Blue foam pad in the camping section. Too thin and uncomfortable for my old bones, but I carry a torso length in the winter for an extra layer of insulation on top of my sleeping pad. Another piece makes a great sit pad so my butt doesn't freeze and/or get muddy when it's cold and rainy.

Pretty good trail mixes in the grocery section, and I've taken a liking to the Jack Links Steak Nuggets. Easier to chew than jerky - tastier too - and mixes well with instant mashed potatoes for a real rib-sticking meal.

I also got a sleeve of their store-brand lemonade mixes. The drink mix is ok, but the cardboard sleeve is perfect for short trips if I want to carry some crackers without being crushed. Add a chunk of cheese, a chunk of summer sausage and a few olives in a small ziplock and you'll have a lunch to make your buddies jealous on day 2 or 3.

Speaking of... freezer ziplocks in the quart size for freezer bag cooking. And the giant 5-gallon size ziplocks for keeping your dry clothes dry in your pack.

So many possibilities...

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2013, 12:19
Blue foam is gone at several walmarts... suggest a super center - add polypro shirts can be had if you look hard enough... its cheaper as it is all from china - the bike shop has overhead to pay for... just like Starbucks is on every extensive corner or high real estate.

Chuckie V
03-08-2013, 12:37

These are my preferred thru-hiking shoes, via Wally-World. Starter brand, $16 a pair. They last about 300-400 miles a pair and come in a wide array of colors.

This stuff works too and can be found at most Wal-Marts.

There was once a thru-hiker named Wal-Mart Joe, who outfitted almost his entire collection of stuff from Wal-Mart, and for both the AT and the PCT. He said "too many hiker types put too much emphasis on the gear itself and not its intent." He also said couldn't afford thru-hiking had it not been for Wally-World.

Starchild
03-08-2013, 13:54
Walmart is not bad for a initial outfitting, that is before understanding how you want to backpack and what equipment you wish to get. Using Walmart in this was gets you some very usable equipment on the cheap. As you go you will learn which way you would like to go, what items you want to upgrade, what items work find from Walmart.

It also allows you to go from the bottom level of cost right to the top end and have that ability not to buy at the mid-range. For instant Walmart sells a tent for $20 that is made for 2 children that one adult can use if they sleep diagonally (I think it's called the scout), It comes at 2-3 lb range, which is pretty good and I've heard that people did use such a tent for a thru. Once ready you can come up to the $400 cuban fiber tent of your dreams that you saw at a campsite, so that initial $20 tent will most likely go into storage which seems not so bad compared to starting with a $150 tent that will be stored.

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 14:12
I already have several, but Swiss Army Knifes, the small ones with scissors are sold there, not sure if there's a savings to be had there???

Alligator
03-08-2013, 14:15
I buy lots of those dry fit shirts. They don't cost much but I wait for them to go on sale:D. They have them in the kids section too.

Some Walmarts sell freeze dried meals as well, if you are so inclined.

I don't find much at Sam's Club gearwise, except last Christmas I got two leatherman's for $30, one of which was a CS, the other was full size I will use it for car camping. Food of course in bulk, including Clif bars regular size plus the kids size. Oh, my Sam's did have some raingear that looked like Frogg Toggs but was a different company.

mak1277
03-08-2013, 14:47
Completely functional trekking poles for ~$20. Especially if you haven't used them before, it's nice to start out with some that won't cost you $100.

Lefty Red
03-08-2013, 15:02
This is awesome, getting some great tips. Too late on the trekking poles - my wife got me a set of Black Diamond Z-Poles for my birthday. I saw some FroggToggs at Walmart the other day but I'd already ordered some from the company (a jacket). We made a trip to Sam's to pick up some Minute Rice, Clif Bars, Nuts and so forth to repackage for trail food. My wife is on a special diet (gluten free) , so eating convenience store food won't work that often. It's funny when we figured out we'd need at least 17 cases of Clif Bars, 400 packs of oatmeal etc.

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 15:10
Completely functional trekking poles for ~$20. Especially if you haven't used them before, it's nice to start out with some that won't cost you $100.That's what I did, still not sure if I like treking poles yet, but the investment was minimal, something like $14 bucks I think, good idea Mak!

atmilkman
03-08-2013, 15:17

+1 on these. Coleman brand. Depending on the store some pretty good selections. I like them and they're only just over 5 bucks not 8 or 9 like the big name brands.

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 15:20
+1 on these. Coleman brand. Depending on the store some pretty good selections. I like them and they're only just over 5 bucks not 8 or 9 like the big name brands.

Those things are very tempting. Too much salt for my tastes. I do not put salt on anything or in anything. We will be dehydrating and making own. But very cost effective choice for those that don't mind the salt.

Old Hiker
03-08-2013, 15:34
Coleman soap sheets - MUCH lighter than liquid soaps, easier to use. Careful with the iso propane tanks - some work with the Coleman stoves, some don't Don't know if it was an single bad one or not. My Pocket Rocket has had no probs with any brand.

Blue Mountain Edward
03-08-2013, 16:35
Walmarts website carries way more stuff than the stores have. They even have some top shelf gear at unbeatable prices.

WingedMonkey
03-08-2013, 17:04

Not a big deal but I think you will find that the Coleman Meals made by and also sold under Enertia TrailFoods are dehydrated and not freeze dried.

Only matters when comparing prices.

Alligator
03-08-2013, 17:43
Not a big deal but I think you will find that the Coleman Meals made by and also sold under Enertia TrailFoods are dehydrated and not freeze dried.

Only matters when comparing prices.I've never bought them, I don't know if they are any good either:what:. I have bought other brands in the past but I usually focused on price and taste not method. I only looked them over briefly in case I saw something particularly interesting. These store bought meals are just too expensive to me, dehydrating one's own is fairly cheap. For me roughly $1-2/meal. They do sell the dehydrators at Wal-Mart.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 18:19
I got some really great deals on headlamps and lighting at Target when clearanced. Also they carry Champion brand shirts, jackets and underwear (men's poly/spandex boxer briefs, women's sports bras).They also have a pretty good selection of travel-foods (foil-packed meats, dried sauces, etc)

At Walmart you can get the microfiber towels sold at REI in the housewares dept for about $3 (+29 at REI)...along with tons of accessory stuff. Check for things you can use in all the Sporting Goods Depts, as well as Hardware (rope, duct tape).

I know some of the stuff is of lesser quality and will need to be replaced, but it should get us through a few sections.....but a Nalgene bottle is a Nalgene bottle wherever you buy it (TARGET $6)

Turtle2
03-08-2013, 20:20
The mosquito head net/was $2.00. Very happy to have it in MA and weighs less than an oz.

BigRing
03-08-2013, 20:26
Some items I have purchased are anondized cookset, isopropane fuel, survival blanket, Sponge Bob water wings....cut them at the seam for a great pillow.

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2013, 20:44
I already have several, but Swiss Army Knifes, the small ones with scissors are sold there, not sure if there's a savings to be had there???

No but if you work really hard you might score a few hungry women who have not seen a dentist in a while...

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2013, 20:47
I've never bought them, I don't know if they are any good either:what:. I have bought other brands in the past but I usually focused on price and taste not method. I only looked them over briefly in case I saw something particularly interesting. These store bought meals are just too expensive to me, dehydrating one's own is fairly cheap. For me roughly $1-2/meal. They do sell the dehydrators at Wal-Mart.

They are fine.. not great and not fd - they are fbc.. dried... no biggie...

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2013, 20:48
The mosquito head net/was $2.00. Very happy to have it in MA and weighs less than an oz.

Yea.. its OK - the better ones are Pyrthrin infused .. if this is what you can afford - buy it.

Drybones
03-08-2013, 21:32
Academy has some good stuff fairly cheap also. Just bought a 1/4 zip merino wool base layer for $22.00, normally $44.00 which is still a great price, identical to the Terramar I already have. Also bought a rain jacket for $19.95 that I like better than the Goretex I already have, rain pants were also $19.95, a complete set of Driducks is < $20.00, good deals on shoes also and other gear.

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2013, 21:43
What can yo get at Walmat? a cheap poppin' optomolgist... Thanks Tosh.o

Bronk
03-09-2013, 03:44
I carried a $10 fifty degree Walmart sleeping bag for 850 miles.

atmilkman
03-09-2013, 13:51

Only matters when comparing prices.
Just got back from Walmart. They are closing out the Coleman meals for $4.00 a piece. Now carrying Mountain House for $5.88 - $6.88.

Chuckie V
03-09-2013, 14:40
If you're really sly, you can get one of those electric carts that all the obese Wal-Mart shoppers use and take it on the trail. Those suckers are fast! But you have to go during off-hours, since most the carts are otherwise in use.

Venchka
03-09-2013, 20:44
I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

MuddyWaters
03-09-2013, 21:35
I really try not to support China-Mart.

My objection to them, is that today all they sell, is the cheapest, crappiest, chinese made junk possible, that they sell for the highest profit margin.

If you want a quality item of some sort, you have to go elsewhere.

Once upon a time they were more balanced.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-09-2013, 21:41

I actually saw Mountain House meals at the local Walmart today....something they've NEVER carried before. Just Beef Stew and Chicken with Rice, and the same price REI sells them for 30 miles away.

Venchka
03-09-2013, 22:16
I found freeze-dried fruit in the cereal section. Didn't price it. We had been there awhile & it was time to go. I will price it next time.
We also found a brand of granola bars new to us - Sunset Bakery. Bought two flavors. Like them so far. Very disappointed by the tuna & chicken in foil selection. I think we need to go to a real grocery store for those goodies.

Wayne

WingedMonkey
03-09-2013, 22:31
Not a Mountain House fan myself, but you can order them from Walmart online with free shipping to your selected local store.

Hikes in Rain
03-10-2013, 09:36
Just got back from our Walmart. Shelves are surprisingly bare. No Mountain House or Coleman meals at all. Yellow Heat is all gone. General camping gear is gone. Everything "useful" shelves are all empty. Hmm

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 10:51
I really try not to support China-Mart.

My objection to them, is that today all they sell, is the cheapest, crappiest, chinese made junk possible, that they sell for the highest profit margin.

If you want a quality item of some sort, you have to go elsewhere.

Once upon a time they were more balanced.

This is so sad and so very true. I remember when you could get anything you wanted at Walmart and in 3 types of qualities according to your budget. You could get a good option at a really fair price, a better option for a little more but still a fair price and a best option for a little more but still a decent price. Now if you can even find the item you are looking for you have one choice and it has turned into a cheap import with the "this is all we got take it or leave it" option. Very sad.

colorado_rob
03-10-2013, 11:33
I bought a pair of perscription sunglasses, comfy, wrap-around, lightly tinted rose colored, UV coating for $70. I was impressed with the variety of frames in the optic shop. Walmart continues to impress me with prety decent stuff for a solid bargin. I'll have to do some AT shopping with the ideas in this post, thanks! (My wife now grocery shops at Walmart, swears she saves money over Kroger)

Andrew Ferk
03-10-2013, 20:19
I was thinking about including almonds in my drop boxes. My local walmart sells my favorite almonds at <$10/30oz: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Diamond-Low-Sodium-Lightly-Salted-Almonds-30-oz/22234371. Blue Diamond Lightly Salted.

Lefty Red
03-11-2013, 13:04
Walmart carries 2mil pastic. We used some to make a footprint for our tent. It came in at half the weight of the old one.

Starchild
03-11-2013, 13:54
I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

Yes it is the standard valve and works with the Jetboil (as I've use it for that)

88BlueGT
03-13-2013, 15:16
The one and only thing I have ever purchased from Wal-Mart that I still use is an Ozark Trail fixed blade. I used it for years, sharpened 3 times so far and has held up EXTREMELY well. I believe I paid $10-15 for this knife and it has held up as good as some of my $60 blades.

Wait.... maybe I got it at k-mart? It was like 6 years ago... :rolleyes:

Venchka
03-13-2013, 17:34
Yes it is the standard valve and works with the Jetboil (as I've use it for that)

Thank you! Good news! I'll buy more as they were at least a dollar less than the name brand canisters elsewhere.

Wayne

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 18:02

20291Never knew it was called a Lindal valve, learn something new here every day, gotta love it!

Yes it is the standard valve and works with the Jetboil (as I've use it for that)Cool, was wondering the same thing.

I bought some cheapy trek poles from Walmart just to see if I like hiking with them...I don't, but need em on the down hills...so fer now..there in!

Lefty Red
03-14-2013, 13:09
Just left the store - they now carry a 1 liter canteen similar to the Platypus bottle. Walmart's version comes with a sports cap and a carabiner.

jbwood5
03-14-2013, 13:23
I buy my hiking shorts there. Just buy a pair of black swim trunks (or whatever color you like), go home and cut the web liner out. You get nice quick drying shorts and most come with 3 or 4 pockets. I've used them for years. Of course it can be hit or miss with anything at Walmart.

88BlueGT
03-15-2013, 10:21
I buy my hiking shorts there. Just buy a pair of black swim trunks (or whatever color you like), go home and cut the web liner out. You get nice quick drying shorts and most come with 3 or 4 pockets. I've used them for years. Of course it can be hit or miss with anything at Walmart.

^^ Very true. I picked up a hiking shirt there a few years back. I believe it was $10 bucks and it has 3 seasons on it already and holding up just fine.

Mags
03-15-2013, 11:21
Yep..the Coleman canisters are indeed the Lindal valve. Jetboil, SnoPeak, MSR, Coleman etc use Linda valve stoves.

Something I wrote on the CDT list:

>but we haven't been able to fit Coleman with our Pocket Rocket -are you sure??
>>Kristina, I used Coleman canisters on two occasions with my Pocket Rocket,
>>and both times I never had issues threading the PR to the canister.

I think the confusion is that Kristina may be thinking of the 16.4 oz propane canisters Coleman sells of lot of for mainly car camping.

Most canister stoves will *not* use this type of canister of course. http://goo.gl/1ZQJg

Coleman does sell their own branded isopro fuel blend that works with any stoves using the standard Lindal valves http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Butane-Propane-Mix-Fuel/20595064(More info than you ever wanted to know about Lindal valves :O http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#EN417 ).

Most recently made backpacking stoves(Jetboil, Pocket Rocket, Snopeak and the Coleman's own F1 (great little stove BTW) ) make use of canisters that use the Lindal valve.

All these stoves and brands of canisters are interchangeable. Use a Coleman F1 stove with an MSR fuel and or an MSR stove with a Jetboilcanister and all is good.

Wally World and other places sells these Coleman canisters so resupply may be a little easier for canister stoves in many places that traditionally sold more car camping than backpacking gear.

aficion
03-15-2013, 11:35
I was thinking about including almonds in my drop boxes. My local walmart sells my favorite almonds at <$10/30oz: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Diamond-Low-Sodium-Lightly-Salted-Almonds-30-oz/22234371. Blue Diamond Lightly Salted.

Raw too, basically half price from other venues.

Spirit Bear
03-15-2013, 11:41
From my experience in cycling, I quickly learned that a bike shop will take an el cheapo item, put a picture of a bike on it and triple the price.

I've seen the same thing in outdoor gear too. Walmart sells a trowel for under $5 that REI sells for $16. I bought neither one since sticks are free and I have an extra tent stake.:)

I understand that my experience as a weekend and short trip backpacker doesn't fully qualify me to evaluate gear for the long haul. I've seen though, through trail and error, some of the things where I needed/wanted to spend some dough - almost anything with down or wool, a lightweight tent, Osprey packs, I've also used a few things from Walmart that seem to be cheaper and as functional as need be: grease pot, HEET, butane gas, wool socks, synthetic base layers (which will end up smelly but are cheap enough to replace), a beanie/skullcap/tuque, a head lamp. My question is - what other things could you good folks suggest I get at Walmart (or other discount) store?

Ask walmart joe.

WingedMonkey
03-15-2013, 13:05
I'm not a prepper nor do I have a "bug out bag", that's what my home is for.:sun

While browsing for some other food items i found that Walmart online now has Augason Farms long term storage foods. Some might be good if you do enough hiking to use them up once you open them.

Things like dried eggs, honey, butter, cheese type stuff.