PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in SNP

Logman2446
03-08-2013, 17:38
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me regarding the trail conditions in SNP for next weekend. I realize the park received a upwards of 2+ feet throughout the park. I had planned on going to the park this weekend, but decided against and am putting off the my trip to next weekend. Does anyone think that by waiting one week and with the coming warmth that trails such as Old Rag, Whiteoak Canyon/ Cedar Run, or Mary's Rock will be passable? Any advice is appreciated.

aficion
03-08-2013, 20:53
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me regarding the trail conditions in SNP for next weekend. I realize the park received a upwards of 2+ feet throughout the park. I had planned on going to the park this weekend, but decided against and am putting off the my trip to next weekend. Does anyone think that by waiting one week and with the coming warmth that trails such as Old Rag, Whiteoak Canyon/ Cedar Run, or Mary's Rock will be passable? Any advice is appreciated.

Going to be dried out by then if the forecasts hold. Probably get some downed trees over the trails that haven't been cleared yet. Otherwise looks like a go to me.

johnnybgood
03-08-2013, 22:53
Total snow amounts might be higher in the southern district and drifts up to 5feet reported in spots.

johnnybgood
03-08-2013, 23:04
According to SNP twitter feed the snow is still around two feet deep in most of the park. The Skyline Drive is closed so only access into the park is by foot.
I'd wait till next weekend unless you plan on using snowshoes. Those trails you mentioned such as Old Rag will only be accessible from outside the park and wouldn't be advisable with all the ice & snowpack.

aficion
03-08-2013, 23:13
According to SNP twitter feed the snow is still around two feet deep in most of the park. The Skyline Drive is closed so only access into the park is by foot.
I'd wait till next weekend unless you plan on using snowshoes. Those trails you mentioned such as Old Rag will only be accessible from outside the park and wouldn't be advisable with all the ice & snowpack.

Looks to me like OP has canceled plans for this weekend and is inquiring about likely conditions for the next.