PDA

View Full Version : Another food question

Different Socks
03-09-2013, 01:58
On the lighter (no pun intended) side of the food topics/posts, I began thinking about this one tonight:

After a town visit to resupply, if you stopped anywhere for any type of restaurant food, tell me what were some of the leftovers(doggy bags) you brought onto the trail with you to eat later because you either really liked it or didn't want it thrown away? Note: you may include fast foods.

Examples for me: pizza, subs, french fries, eggs, sausages, Chinese food.

I wanna some really crazy stuff here folks!!

Mountain Mike
03-09-2013, 02:30
after a few weeks there is no such thing as leftovers! 20274

Bronk
03-09-2013, 03:12
I don't understand the question...why would a hiker have any leftovers at a restaurant in town?

Different Socks
03-09-2013, 03:23
I don't understand the question...why would a hiker have any leftovers at a restaurant in town?

I have discovered that hikers appetites may be big when they get to town, yet there has to be occasions when there was food left over. Perhaps, ordering more than you thought you could really handle?

Different Socks
03-09-2013, 03:25
Okay, how about this: Change it from leftovers to just food you got at a restaurant that you thought would be a good idea to take onto the trail with you. Ex: get an extra pizza, wrap in foil, haul it onto the trail and eat at shelter that night.

Bronk
03-10-2013, 04:06
At that highway crossing just before Erwin we hitched to a diner a couple miles down the road...I was getting low on food but there was no resupply other than this diner. After eating dinner I bought a whole apple pie to go. And if you're wondering "How do you carry a pie in your pack without the whole thing crumbling apart?" The correct answer is: you can't.

moytoy
03-10-2013, 04:34
I really don't eat at restaurants much while I'm hiking but when I get the chance at a road crossing or going through town I stop and fill my water bottles with choc milk or just milk. Milk is a good hydrator so I don't lose anything by replacing my water. During the holidays I fill up with eggnog. I wish eggnog was sold year around. :)

wcgornto
03-10-2013, 13:03
The only time I recall taking leftovers was from White House Landing in teh 100 Mile Wilderness. As a SOBO thru hiker, my trail appetite had not yet fully developed. I only ate half of the pizza at White House Landing and they conveniently repackaged the rest in zip lock bags. It was a nice alternative to Mountain House the next night.

Generally in town, I ate anything and everything on the plate.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 16:27
Not on the trail, But one year while on a weekend R/C soaring contest down in the DC area, we went to a AYCE Crab House. About half way through dinner one of the fellas noticed me snapping off the legs and he later said he thought I was feeding them to a dog or something. Nope, they went in my cooler for Sundays lunch at the field, and they were good. However, I was young then, and would not do that these days, it's a little borderline dishonest. But it was CRABS...it's my weakness!

Different Socks
03-10-2013, 17:02
I really don't eat at restaurants much while I'm hiking but when I get the chance at a road crossing or going through town I stop and fill my water bottles with choc milk or just milk. Milk is a good hydrator so I don't lose anything by replacing my water. During the holidays I fill up with eggnog. I wish eggnog was sold year around. :)

Actually, that choc milk idea is a good one, I'll have to do that.