PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for larger people

Ricochet
06-20-2005, 08:35
Any suggestions for a 30-45 deg sleeping bag with alot of shoulder room? I'm a pretty big guy, looking for a bag that doesn't pin my arms to my side. Not claustrophobic, but not being able to move my arms freely in a bag just makes me uncomfortable

Thanks,
Mike

Youngblood
06-20-2005, 08:48
Any suggestions for a 30-45 deg sleeping bag with alot of shoulder room? I'm a pretty big guy, looking for a bag that doesn't pin my arms to my side. Not claustrophobic, but not being able to move my arms freely in a bag just makes me uncomfortable

Thanks,
MikeSounds to me like you need to measure you girth, the distance around your shoulders and arms. A lot of bags list that dimension, for instance this is WM's: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&viewpost=2&ContentId=27 .

Youngblood

BookBurner
06-20-2005, 08:55
After clicking on Youngblood's Western Mountaineering link, check out the Megalite. It's 30 degrees, 24 oz., with 64" of shoulder girth. That's about as big as I've seen in a lightweight, quality bag.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Freighttrain
06-20-2005, 09:34
Kelty makes XL bags, im a big'un and have a XL Kelty "0" n lov it... the rest of the time i use an old cheap Slumberjack "20" that has a busted zipper.... i just use it as a blanket and actually perfer it that way

justusryans
06-20-2005, 10:48
western mountaineering has the aspen which is a semi rectangular bag, good down to 25 degrees

c.coyle
06-20-2005, 16:09
Any suggestions for a 30-45 deg sleeping bag with alot of shoulder room? ...

Big Agnes. Check out their "Classic" series bags. (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bag_series.php?id=classic) Lots of shoulder room.

Lion King
06-20-2005, 17:49
Im 6'2 and have some of the broadest shoulders of anyone I have met on the trail, and I use a basic Coleman 30 degree mummy bag and it works great.

The Will
06-20-2005, 22:17
Feathered Friends makes all of their bags custom, so you can get whatever you want. Aside from that, they produce most of their standard models in several lengths and well as varying girths. Included among their standard models are several rectangular and semi-rectangular bags. Plenty of options.

www.featheredfriends.com (http://www.featheredfriends.com)

Waterbuffalo
06-21-2005, 20:28
TNF used to make one called the Big Fella that was 20 deg it's a good bag I've got broad shoulders and it fits me real nice

jeepcj258
06-22-2005, 10:13
I have a north face goliath, and it has plenty of room. It is a 0 degree but I would think that TNF would make this in lesser degrees. I also require a good bit of shoulder space in a bag.

God Bless
Seth

EMAN
06-27-2005, 13:04
I bought one of the Big Agnes bags, the "Horsethief". 35 degree, less tha 2lbs. It supposedly has 72.5" of girth. I am 6'1", 290lbs. This bag did NOT have enough space shoulderwise. I felt, as you have described, like my arms were pinned to my sides. The neck area really zips up close too.
However, I just bought the little "wedgie" thing to expand the bag 7". Without the air core pad inserted, just laying on the floor, it definitely feels more roomy. Still around 2lbs.
The best thing about this setup is being able to deflate the pad inside the bag and stuffing the whole thing in your pack. Around 4 lbs for bag and pad.