PDA

View Full Version : Lunch

wsjackson179
03-09-2013, 12:40
I was wondering if anyone does any preparing the night before for their lunches. I was specifically thinking of making rice. I love a rice chicken and hummus wrap. But if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

max patch
03-09-2013, 13:10
The most I'll do is get a meat and cheese sub the nite before. Anything that will make the bread soggy like lettuce and tomatoes etc I'll have them put them in a separate container.

Bronk
03-10-2013, 03:50
I was wondering if anyone does any preparing the night before for their lunches. I was specifically thinking of making rice. I love a rice chicken and hummus wrap. But if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

If you don't mind the weight of a thermos you can cook in them...because it can keep liquids hot for 8 hours you can prep things at breakfast and let them "cook" while you are hiking all day. This works well for things like rice and dry beans that take a long time to cook. Just boil everything and pour it in the thermos. I wouldn't take a thermos along on a thru hike but have for shorter trips. This also has the advantage that when you get to camp and are too tired to do anything your dinner is already made.

BigRing
03-10-2013, 18:05
I have precooked rice and beans, mix them together and place into a ziplock bag. When it is dinner time, drop the bag into boiling water for a couple minutes. I eat the mixture right out of the bag. The mixture keeps in my pack for a couple days. If you really want to upscale the meal, add some rehydrated cooked shrimp.

PaperCrane
03-10-2013, 20:21
Instant rice can be put in water the night before and should be good to go by lunch the next day. Same goes for oatmeal it's a cold breakfast but it's ready when you wake up.

Special K
03-13-2013, 15:41
Uncle Ben's makes Ready Rice in a pouch. 2 tablespoons boiling water and done in a minute or two.