PDA

View Full Version : Bunion Surgery ? has anyone had it?

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 17:57
My right foot swelled up - been to the Podiatrist - yep the bones are all wacky and it keeps me up at night.. anyone been down this road? Walking really sucks - went wider widths for a while. Already have the Powersteps... just wanted to see if anyone else has had this surgery.

rocketsocks
03-09-2013, 18:30
Sorry to hear this Woo, is that something they can operate on? never had a bunion.

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 18:57
Oh the utube video is priceless... best part is when the cut threw the toe bone.

rocketsocks
03-09-2013, 19:09
Oh the utube video is priceless... best part is when the cut threw the toe bone.oh yeah, that sounds lovely, I watched a video on a cadaver for a surgery I had, pretty interesting if you have the guts for it.

Sara
03-09-2013, 19:10
I have bunions but my physician said they aren't bad enough for an operation.
I look for shoes that don't have any straps or extra material along the bunion. If there is just fabric or leather it stretches out over time to accommodate the bump.

Good luck if you opt for the surgery!

Liminal
03-09-2013, 19:21
not me... but my daughter had a double bunionectomy 2 years ago... loved the results!! she was hobbling around for a couple weeks but worth it in the end

jimmyjam
03-09-2013, 19:56
I had one done about 7 years ago. Very painful for about the first week after surgery. I had to very gradually resume walking afterward. However I was able to hike all of the day hike trails at Bryce canyon 4 months after the surgery. My foot would hurt after each hike and swell some. I did go to some physical therapy after surgery. My left foot is now a little wider/thicker than my right. I'm satisfied with the results and will be hiking GAME in a few weeks. After seeing how deformed my mom's feet were because she did not have the surgery, it was a no brainer for me to get it done. So far I haven't had a bunion on my other foot.

ladytaz
03-09-2013, 19:59
Little toe nail was cutting into the inside of the toe next to it my whole life. They had to cut down to the bone to get the bunion out it had formed. that was a year and a half ago. Good move. It hurt and had to walk in an ugly hospital shoe for about a month but so worth it, Ready for the AT now!!!

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 20:18
Wow a few new members-keep the stories coming.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-09-2013, 20:25
I have some fairly deformed feet due to bunions. Unfortunately I can't have the surgery, which involves putting a screw through a cut and relocated metatarsal bone. For a different health issue I've been on steriods for years and it has left me with thin and weak bones. If the screw caused the bone to shatter, I'd likely never walk unassisted again. Definitely not worth it....just wear bigger and wider and softer shoes.

Interestingly enough, the foot surgeon still pushed the surgery, but my rheumatologist strongly recommended against it.

My point? Get a second opinion....from a non-partial party.

Snowleopard
03-09-2013, 21:26
I've got a bunion on my right foot, not on the left. It's not exactly painful, i.e., the bunion itself doesn't hurt. The problem it causes is that the change in geometry of my foot causes a blister to form at a specific point in a mile of walking, basically the skin folds on a line at that spot. My podiatrist recommends against surgery but had a series of other things to do:
orthotics -- that didn't work by itself but helped a bit;
taping of the spot that blisters-- helped a little bit;
using pumice stone to keep the callous that forms thin and flexible;
Correct toe toe spacers -- this has helped a lot by changing the geometry that causes the problem.
https://nwfootankle.com/products/12-correct-toes-medium-large
BUT, now my foot with the spacers is much wider across the toes so none of my shoes/boots/ski boots fit anymore.
Currently I use the toe spacers and Vivobarefoot running shoes (very wide across the toes). For winter I've been using NEOS overboots with felt or foam liners and oversized XC ski boots.
This combination appears to be working and I'm gradually increasing my walking mileage, currently 4 miles without a blister.

My primary care physician, who is very competent, recommended that I consider the surgery and that many of his patients have it done with a high satisfaction rate.

My podiatrist is a serious athlete, ultramarathons, triathlons, ironman. He tends to avoid the more invasive procedures unless it's necessary.

If you haven't already done so, I'd ask running clubs if they can recommend a good podiatrist and get a consultation. If the bunion itself hurts, you may be at the point where surgery is the only choice.

Good luck. My primary care and podiatrist agree that bunions are treatable; you should be able to hike without pain eventually.

rocketsocks
03-09-2013, 21:40
Now BIG TOE arthritis I got, and some with Bunions can also be predisposed to this very common condition.

http://www.faant.com/library/my-big-toe-joint-hurts-the-arthritis-you-never-knew.cfm

miloandotis
03-09-2013, 21:44
I recommend a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon unless you have a highly recommended podiatrist. Are you still actively hiking? I had a bunion form, but it was because I fractured a sesamoid bone (it's like a knee cap of your foot) hiking rocky terrain and it was causing the joint/bones to shift.

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 22:33
Well I thought I was actively hiking I kind of parked it a few months ago - again. - the xray and the bones leading up to the big to are in the wrong places, and he comfirmed it.

TrustMeImNice
04-25-2013, 05:52
is this somehow related to tendonitis?

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2013, 06:03
ahhh no.....

Chaco Taco
04-25-2013, 06:51
My dad's gf just had the surgery a few months ago. She was in so much pain prior to it. She had to have her big toe fused to the rest of her foot. She did PT and still walks with some pain and a slight limp.

I work on quite a few people that have bunions and it's really difficult to curtail any sort of calcification. There are homeopathic ways to help but in the end it looks like foot pad, massage, and pain reliever. I work on a lady that has one on her ankle and we use Blue Emu and a 15 Reflexology session each week on her feet and she feels like it has been helpful. It has taken quite awhile of me working on her hands and feet for her to have any sort of relief. The calcification is no longer progressing according to her MD. Im not sure something like accupuncture would really do much of anything. It may help deal with any pain but calicifying bone is a tough one. My wife and I see all sorts of spinal and foot fusions at work and MOST have the same story, not much has changed besides having bones fused. I do not envy anyone that has these issues and for those of you that do, I feel for ya. Good luck with trying to get a handle on this. Maybe find someone that specializes in Foot Reflexology and try a few sessions.....

Chaco Taco
04-25-2013, 06:55
Here is a website that I check out sometimes
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/bunions.html

melaniebk
04-25-2013, 17:19
I had the surgeries on both feet, a year and a half apart. The bunions were shaved off and the first metatarsal bones were cut, realigned, and reset with screws. I recommend the internal screws rather than the removable screw that sticks out of the top of your foot. I'm not sure they even do that anymore. There was some pain for the first week or so, but mostly it was just inconvenient for 3 or 4 months. I know family members who walked around in pain for years before having the surgery. I'm glad I had it done.