PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

wcjones3985
03-09-2013, 19:05
I am planning a hike from Harpers Ferry to Thortons Gap. My plan is to start on a Monday and finish on Friday. I have 11 miles planned for the first day, three days of 18 miles each and the last day 13 miles. Can anyone tell me if this is realistic?

Eureka
03-11-2013, 20:50
It depends on what kind of shape you're in.

bigcranky
03-11-2013, 20:59
I am planning a hike from Harpers Ferry to Thortons Gap. My plan is to start on a Monday and finish on Friday. I have 11 miles planned for the first day, three days of 18 miles each and the last day 13 miles. Can anyone tell me if this is realistic?

It's realistic for some hikers. I wouldn't be able to do that off the couch, but then I'm old. Depends on your age, physical condition, pack weight, experience, etc.

That's a cool section, anyway.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2013, 21:41
That's about the easiest streach on the AT and the most enjoyable parts of MD and PA. (you are going North?) No problem unless you plan to do it the 3d week of July with 120 degree heat index days.

johnnybgood
03-11-2013, 21:59
That's about the easiest streach on the AT and the most enjoyable parts of MD and PA. (you are going North?) No problem unless you plan to do it the 3d week of July with 120 degree heat index days.

Sounds like he's going south. I take it from his reference of Thornton Gap that he's going to SNP.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2013, 22:36
Sounds like he's going south. I take it from his reference of Thornton Gap that he's going to SNP.

I couldn't find Thornton Gap in my guide. 11+18+18+18+13 = 78 78 miles south of HF ends up at Beahms gap overlook in SNP. 78 miles north ends up at Pine Grove Furnance State park and the AT museum which seems to me to be a more logical spot to end up then some random overlook in SNP.

Well, if SOBO is the case, that's the section with the infamous "roller coaster" and some other bumpy areas, but still not that bad - unless its a week of 120 degree heat index days.

ATCurious
03-11-2013, 23:36
When would be the best time to do this hike? Would the first week or two of April be an ok time? Should we expect to see many hikers in that stretch around then?

Slo-go'en
03-12-2013, 01:08
Early April is probably a little too early and it is unlikely you'd meet many hikers. Early May would be about right and there would be a few others out there, but not a lot.

wcjones3985
03-12-2013, 06:20
I am going south from Harpers Ferry. I think that I'm in pretty good shape. I'm 49 years old and have been building up for this since September (walking, hiking and exercising). If all works well, I'm going to be picked up in Thorntons Gap by family.

gwb
03-12-2013, 07:53
What I would suggest is having a couple of options where you can end... Plans change, your mood might change, weather etc. Do you know the website that has all the parking/pick up points? http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/ Awesome website. In my opinion its a must have for sections hikers and there shuttles.

bigcranky
03-12-2013, 09:41
Be flexible in your plans. For me, there's nothing worse than having to be in a certain spot a week from today on the Trail. Takes all the fun out of it. Your phone will work, at least on the high spots -- call your family a day or two before you want to get picked up and let them know where you'll be.

I'm roughly your age, I've been hiking for twenty years, and I'm not at all happy doing 18 mile days. Certainly not on the second day. This is sort of the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" question. If you have to ask if 18 miles per day is doable, it probably isn't. No offense meant at all. I can walk around my hilly neighborhood every day after work, and it's still not the same as carrying a pack all day up and down mountains. Of course, your mileage may vary, as they say on the car ads. :)

ATCurious, early May would be the best time for this section, or anywhere in Virginia.

Sandy of PA
03-12-2013, 10:15
I did this hike northbound last September, it took me 7 days.

flemdawg1
03-12-2013, 10:32

Have you ever walked 18miles/day for 3straight days? If not, the answer is no, it's not realistic.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2013, 10:58
Unless there is some compeling reason that you must do the section between SNP and HF, I would suggest going north from HF would be an easier and more enjoyable section. But either way, do it before it gets too hot out.

tdoczi
03-12-2013, 14:24
do more miles on the first and last days, those are the easy parts

wcjones3985
03-13-2013, 06:14
I hear so many people say that with the exception of the roller coaster, this is a pretty easy section to hike.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2013, 10:05
I hear so many people say that with the exception of the roller coaster, this is a pretty easy section to hike.

Well it is and the roller coaster isn't all that bad. It's just a really boaring section. There are a couple places of interest like the Blackburn AT center, Bear Den hostel and the Jim and Molly Denton shelter, but that's about it. OTOH, the section to the north is a little more interesting and the hiking a little more pleasent.