PDA

View Full Version : Any 50+ hikers out there?

todd52
03-09-2013, 21:57
I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike lasting weeks or even months and covering hundreds of miles or more. How old are you and did you have any of the issues that "older" people sometimes experience such as sore/achey legs, arthritis, etc?.

Same question about people who are disabled (diabetes, asthma, crippled, etc).

I'm assuming if you are elderly or disabled you would just have to stop to rest more frequently or maybe sometimes spend an extra day at your campsite to catch your breath and recover, yes?.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2013, 22:07
BTW, its AT not AP

There are pleanty of over 50 hikers. That is one of the larger demagraphics. If you don't hurt at the end of the day, you didn't hike much that day. Those with serious medical problems typically don't do long hikes or don't last long if they try. Those with managable illnesses fair a little better, but it can be difficult.

rocketsocks
03-09-2013, 22:27
I'm working up to my first long distance hike in probably 20 years, and have several conditions that would require an X in a box somewhere, but I'll go as slow or rest when I need to, and enjoy it.

I should also add that long distance to me would be say 50-60 miles in maybe 4 or 5 days, that's all i'm looking to do. Fer now!

Grampie
03-09-2013, 22:27
Hiked a AT thru at age 66 years old. I was also overweight and not in great shape. I was also carrying about 40 lbs. I hiked slow for the first week. Averaging less than 10 miles a day. I took a "0" day every 5 days for the first 6 weeks. I gradualy got to hiking 12 to 14 mile days. after 6 weeks i lost 35 lbs. and felt good hiking 14 to 16 mile days. Gradualy replaced some equipment and got my pack weight down to about 30 lbs. I hiked the whole AT in 201 days. Never had any physical problems. Lost 38 lbs during the hike.
Just take your time. Don't push your body and rest often.

WalksInDark
03-09-2013, 22:29
When I was 63 (two summers ago) I went on multiple (5 or 6, if memory serves me well) 5-7 day section hikes on the A.T. Then, due to a personal injury which was entirely my fault, I had to quit for the hiking season.

Daytime temps stayed in the mid to high 90s, with temps over 100 degrees happening for several days in a row. :sunHumidity level stayed at +95% the entire time.

Depending upon the day and trail, I was covering between 11-12 miles each day.......until temps got over 95 degrees...then my daily averages dropped down into the single digits. On several of the +100 degree days, I was lucky to cover 5 miles before giving up the ghost. :eek: Don't even get me started on the day I drank 100 ounces of water in less than 4 hours, and never had to pee...not one drop.

My Limitations:

I ALWAYS over pack. Pack weights were from 40-46 pounds including water and food. :rolleyes:
I have had asthma for over 25 years and when the temps and humidity get high, I just plain run out of oxygen and have to take a break until I "Catch My Breath."
I am much more about the journey than getting quickly to most destinations. :)
I was hiking "Unsupported," which means that I parked my vehicle at the trail head; hiked until I was out of food or energy; then hitchhiked back to my minivan for a resupply or quick weekend at home (in the A.C.).

Coping Strategies:

I hammock backpack which means that I can setup an overnight camp almost anywhere.
I was solo hiking, which means that I could start or stop whenever I choose. If I got really tuckered out, I would occasionally do only a half day hike. Rarely (when I found that the heat was just too much), I would take a zero day at a shelter.
On the hotter days, I would often take a mid day siesta...and go back at it once the temps dropped down.
Several times I hiked at night (but would not recommend due to the fact that I really missed the scenery...and the temps were only 5-10 degrees cooler).
Every day when I started my hike I would say to myself (I am pretty sure most of the time I thought this rather than said it....but who really knows?): The important thing is that I am out here getting exercise, doing what I want, getting myself fitter. It is not important how far or how fast I go. If I am having a good hike, enjoying myself, and not getting injured; it is a good day. :banana

My advice is to hike your own hike. Be realistic about your abilities. Start slowly and build up your distance and weight carrying ability. Lastly, really enjoy yourself. Who knows when the last day of your life will be? :-?

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 22:42
Almost all the 50 somethings are on the Cafe... kicking back...if we are not hiking or cyber hiking we are dying.... The bear's wonder cus we are a little slower

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7026016512/h35A389F0/

OzJacko
03-09-2013, 22:48
I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike lasting weeks or even months and covering hundreds of miles or more. How old are you and did you have any of the issues that "older" people sometimes experience such as sore/achey legs, arthritis, etc?.

I'm assuming if you are elderly or disabled you would just have to stop to rest more frequently or maybe sometimes spend an extra day at your campsite to catch your breath and recover, yes?.
Older??
I'm not "older"!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused004.gif

burk
03-09-2013, 23:01
I'll stay on the trial weeks at a time. when I'm not hiking average running 45-50 miles a week plus bike ride. Any time you exert your self you will have sore
body parts.

illabelle
03-09-2013, 23:08
Husband and I are 50 and 53, respectively, overweight, but no other health issues other than aches and pains. Jobs and other responsibilities make long hikes impractical for us. Most of our trips are 3-4 day extended weekend hikes. We are gradually building up endurance, but 10 mpd is still very challenging when it includes any uphill stretches. I can hardly believe how weak my thighs are!
I would like to be able to do the hundred mile wilderness and Katahdin someday, but it will have to wait until we've lost more weight and can do 12+ mpd comfortably. We tried to do a chunk of the White Mtns a couple years ago. It was incredibly difficult, and I was in danger of serious injury because my knees were buckling - I was SO tired, and it was SO steep! We bailed.
I admire the fitness of those in our age group who fly up the trail. I wish I could do that. But there are plenty of people who admire us and wish they could do what we do. Yes, we catch our breath a lot. No, we can't keep up with the young folks. But we're getting better each time we go out. :sun

Lyle
03-09-2013, 23:31
Seven years ago, in 2006, I hiked 170 miles north from Harpers Ferry. Granted this is a fairly easy stretch, but I camped with some of the same 20 something thru-hikers on the first day and the last, and it wasn't just one. I was quite surprised that I was able to keep up with them, not that I really tried. Perhaps it was because everyone was slowed down due to extreme flooding, some areas of the trail were under 5ft of water. Was a route-finding expedition some days.

I'm 59 now, planning to do at least 150 miles in early summer, more in the fall. Age doesn't have as much affect as you might think. Yeah, the young guns can push it harder than I can, but often times they don't want to. Plus, I can do a 20 miler here and there if I'm motivated, at least the second week that I'm out I can.

Regarding handicaps, I helped a 67 year old, legally blind hiker prepare for his thru attempt. He made it from Springer the Harper Ferry before he got sidelined with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This was several years before Bill Irwin.

Last year, I was climbing a very steep rocky section in NY, was just about to the top. Met up with another hiker I had met several times that trip, he was heading in the opposite direction as me at that point. We were comparing notes, whining about how steep it was and how terrible the footing was. As we were whining, a couple of guys came over the crest of the ridge, one leading, the other with his arms outstretched, hands on his friends shoulders. The second guy was completely blind, and enjoying every minute of his hike. My friend and I felt like real wusses right about then.

Drybones
03-09-2013, 23:54
Someone asked on a thread what the average age of AT thru hikers was, liked the answer someone gave, 40 , half are 20 and half are 60, not far from being a true answer, it surprised me how many older folks were out there last year. I was 63 last year and did the first 414 miles, 64 now and headed back where I left off planning to do the next 700 starting in two weeks. I have torn cartilage in the knees that gave me issues but I was still able to hike 20-25 mile days, including down days I averaged 16/day. I made a lot of mistakes that cause the body some pain, one was hiking too fast, plan to do the same miles/day next outing but take more hours to do it and eat better. Age is a case of mind over matter, if you dont mind...it dont matter. Hope to see you on the trail.

Hairbear
03-10-2013, 00:05
I will turn 50 the 3rd day on trail,what a gift.

sliderule
03-10-2013, 00:11
The great thing about hiking "old" is that, if you have any problems, you won't remember them.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 00:13
I will turn 50 the 3rd day on trail,what a gift.You goin thru-hikin Hairbear?

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 00:14
The great thing about hiking "old" is that, if you have any problems, you won't remember them.that's funny!...

I think, I can't remember.

hikerboy57
03-10-2013, 00:14
The great thing about hiking "old" is that, if you have any problems, you won't remember them.
same old trails are new every day!!

GoldenBear
03-10-2013, 00:35
Is that I have to accept the fact that everyone -- including those one-fifth my age (I'll be 59 at my next multi-day hike) -- is going to out-hike me, both in speed and endurance. At first I found this embarrassing, as I used to be a pretty fast walker. Then I quickly learned to make this a joke -- talking about how the turtle behind me got upset that I was always in his way. Now I just suck it up and deal with it.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 00:38
Is that I have to accept the fact that everyone -- including those one-fifth my age (I'll be 59 at my next multi-day hike) -- is going to out-hike me, both in speed and endurance. At first I found this embarrassing, as I used to be a pretty fast walker. Then I quickly learned to make this a joke -- talking about how the turtle behind me got upset that I was always in his way. Now I just suck it up and deal with it.Atta Boy, cause when it comes right down to it...nobody cares, there just bustin balls!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-10-2013, 01:20
Yes to several of the complaints of age you've listed. My plan is to ignore what I can, and "hike my own hike". I also plan to have a wonderful time and experience as much of AT life as possible within my limitations. I hike slowly....very slowly, but it gives me more time to truly appreciate my surroundings. I won't get many miles done in a day, but they will be "quality" miles. Besides, it's not a race and I'm in no hurry.

chiefiepoo
03-10-2013, 01:28
Well, I'll be 65 this summer and still plan on a 150 mi section this April. That has been the drill since 2009, 100 to 200 miles at a time in sections. Usually start with 8 to 10 mile days and find that 12 to 15 is about my limit. Arthritis is not generally a problem at home in FL but when it is in the 30's or 40's I start to ache and hands don't flex too well. I try to remember that my feet tend to droop so clearing some rocks or roots may cause a stumble. I'm a type II diabetic so I have to be careful not to over medicate and drop my sugar too low. Last year I met a couple who were type I's doing a thru. The had insulin pumps that required some experience based learning as to maintain their levels in varying terrain and exertion. I did hear that they made it to Maine. Also, two gals in their mid 50's were doing a thru while managing their asthma conditions. Lots of people out there with some sort of condition make it to Maine. Good luck.

fiddlehead
03-10-2013, 01:35
51 is not old.
61 is not either.
I run with guys in their 70's. (Hash House Harriers)
They say it's getting tougher to stay young.
Probably right.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-10-2013, 01:46
Older??
I'm not "older"!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused004.gif

You're older than me!!! :)

Stir Fry
03-10-2013, 02:05
I'm 55 and have done several 200+ section hikes. The younger hikers are faster but I'm willing to hike longer. I'm usualy out of camp befor suns up, and hike till dark.

OzJacko
03-10-2013, 02:41
You're older than me!!! :)
Don't get me started.
I can take a whole lot of beer drinking time explaining to you how age should be measured from when you die, not the other way round....http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-055.gif

Teacher & Snacktime
03-10-2013, 03:48
Don't get me started.
I can take a whole lot of beer drinking time explaining to you how age should be measured from when you die, not the other way round....http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-055.gif

Or you can subscribe to the Indiana Jones theory that "it's not the years; it's the mileage".

moytoy
03-10-2013, 04:12
Or you can subscribe to the Indiana Jones theory that "it's not the years; it's the mileage".
There are the good miles (Warren Doyle) and there are the bad miles ( Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley}.

Break:Away
03-10-2013, 05:39
I'll be 56 this summer and will complete several states north of WVA this year. I started getting ready last summer with lots of walks and hikes after surgery to repair a severly damaged meniscus and femur. Disabled now? Nope, but it still hurts and I'm careful with every step. As someone said previously, hike your own hike. For me, it's about trying to enjoy the time on the trail and gift of being able to do something like this.

SouthMark
03-10-2013, 08:58
I'll be 66 in May and plan on hiking the JMT this August. I have been doing a two week section hike every summer for the last six years. I took up hiking again at age 58 to hear heavy breathing again.

garlic08
03-10-2013, 09:36
When I hiked the AT at age 51, I felt like I was in better shape (for long-distance hiking) than I was at age 25. I'm not all that sure I could have handled the mental and physical rigors of a long hike when I was younger. I liken it to marathon runners--it seems that many start running marathons in their 30s and into their 50s.

I was able to draw from a lifetime of backcountry experience to stay warm, dry, and healthy out there, and actually spent a larger percentage of time on the Trail than many younger hikers. There were times I was out there alone in storms, for instance, when others bailed into towns. I ate better and took better care of skin issues than I would have if I were younger.

It was also nice to have the financial resources of older age, though I didn't need it. My hike ended up being cheaper than most, because of aforesaid experience in staying out on the trail. But if I wanted an expensive salad, or really needed a motel room, I got it.

I really respect the younger folks who make it--it seems they actually have a harder time in some respects.

Hops53
03-10-2013, 09:52
The biggest "issue" is having to get up in the middle of the night when "nature calls". Especially if you left the Flomax at home to cut 1.25 oz from your pack.

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 10:20
For me, it's about trying to enjoy the time on the trail and gift of being able to do something like this.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. My hike is a success already just for the simple fact that I've made it to the point to where I have the opportunity and ability to try. I thank God everyday for this. I consider myself very blessed.

Marta
03-10-2013, 10:29
My motto was to use age and guile in place of youth and strength. It worked, and continues to work, pretty well.

Good luck with your hike!

Furlough
03-10-2013, 11:06
I like this quote attributed to Robert Kennedy - "Youth -- not a time of life but a state of mind... a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease."

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2013, 11:25
The biggest "issue" is having to get up in the middle of the night when "nature calls". Especially if you left the Flomax at home to cut 1.25 oz from your pack.

We don't get up ...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?12498-pee-in-a-bottle-or-not&highlight=pee+bottle

We have this ....

20295 well at least Matty has this....

FatHead64
03-10-2013, 11:31
Not quite yet, but my brother and I are gearing up for a section on my 50th. Maybe Grayson Highlands, or something.

Hairbear
03-10-2013, 11:44
You goin thru-hikin Hairbear?

Lets say that in june I will be a hobo with directional intentions.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 11:47
Lets say that in june I will be a hobo with directional intentions.My man, that'll do'er too. Have a great directional walk, may you always fall forward and get up in the same general direction.:)

Hairbear
03-10-2013, 11:49
My man, that'll do'er too. Have a great directional walk, may you always fall forward and get up in the same general direction.:)
So what happened to the other sock?

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 11:55
He was getting old, so I took him out back and had to shoot him.

I would occasionally get e-mails or messages asking "So how fast do I hike"...Well I'm no speed demon........it was time to put it to bed.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7719-My-Rocket-has-died

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 11:59
So what happened to the other sock?
But in answer to your question, My dryer ate it...I think, can't be certain though???

Don H
03-10-2013, 12:00
I thru-hiled at 54 and met lots of people in 2011 who were over 50. Cimarron was 88, he was the oldest person I met attempting a thru. I climbed Katahdin with a group of 5 hikers and I was the youngest (sure was nice not to be the slowest in the group for once!). One of the group was diabetic on insulin and he didn't have a problem.

You won't do as many big miles days (25+) as the younger folks but they like to stay in town and party while the old farts just keep plugging along, kind of like the Tortoise and the Hare story. One advantage that the older crowd has is they have money so they can afford a nice single room in town and dinner at a fancy restraunt while the younger group is packing 10 hikers in a motel room and eating AYCE Chinese, not that this is bad, just different.

Hairbear
03-10-2013, 12:03
But in answer to your question, My dryer ate it...I think, can't be certain though???
Thought it might have burned up during reentry.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 12:04
Thought it might have burned up during reentry.It hasn't seen reentry in years, just orbits.

Prime Time
03-10-2013, 12:08
I will be thru hiking this year and turn 60 on the trail. I hike further and with less pain now then when I was in my mid 20's because I have learned how to hike smart instead of just fast and I try to stay in shape. As you age your cardio capacity stays pretty constant. It's more the muscles and tendons that show signs of wear and tear if you don't stay active all the time. I try not to do any heavy impact stuff, mostly cycling and yoga. When hiking, it obviously helps if you are not overweight and have conditioned legs and abs. For blisters, you just need to keep your feet good and calloused from hiking often and far year round.

If you have none of the above, just go slow and easy and listen to your body, plus know the difference between being sore and being injured.

Marta
03-10-2013, 12:29
Josh Saint told me that when he and Leigh thru-hiked they were 26 and in great shape. They started the same day as a retired couple who resolved to go 12 miles/day. Leigh and didn't leave them behind until New Hampshire. Tortoise and hare.

I had a similar experience with a a bunch of young guys. It took them a number of states to get significantly ahead of me. Injuries and misadventures slowed some of them down. The lure of town slowed others for a week or more at a time.

Fortunately it's not a race. You can and should go at the pace that works best for you. If you fall behind, or get ahead of, people you enjoy hiking with, be assured that you'll meet others.

lemon b
03-10-2013, 13:51
Agree with Prime Time. Listen to the body and have fun. Only part that talks to me is the knees and have been able to make necessary adjustments. Now I use a pole.

BrianLe
03-10-2013, 14:07
Lot of great responses here, particularly for me some things said by Don H and Garlic but certainly others too. At the risk of redundancy ...

I did all of my long hikes in my early 50's, I'm mid-50's now. Met and hiked with a number of inspirationally strong yet substantially older long distance hikers along the way.

Comments about finances were correct for me too, nice to not do these trips on a shoestring, but in fact you find yourself acting pretty darned thrifty anyway as that's the 'culture' you're in. And, when your trip is lasting months rather than days, it's nice if the per-day cost is relatively low!

I found on average that older hikers and youngers did relatively the same mileage. Us older folks were more disciplined, got up earlier, didn't take unneeded breaks, still enjoyed the journey but were a little less "wild and carefree" about it perhaps (and even that's not always true).

I've not had arthritis, so can't comment on that, but the OP's question about "sore/achey legs" made me smile. I suspect the legs react overall the same regardless of age. Unless you have knee issues. The two gear choices most common to older hikers are that most use two trekking poles all the time, and most seem to have a decent inflatable mattress to sleep on (except of course those in hammocks).

"Disabled (diabetes, asthma, crippled, etc)" --- I saw relatively little of this, though of course you don't "see" diabetes, and asthma is similarly manageable. I guess I'd just say that in meeting and talking to a lot of thru's I don't recall these issues coming up. I don't know if that's significant one way or another. I will say that the older you are (and out there doing long distance trips), the more likely that you've been fortunate in the combination of genetics and life choices and just more random life issues to have gotten so far while still able to do something like that.

Finally, this comment:
"I'm assuming if you are elderly or disabled you would just have to stop to rest more frequently or maybe sometimes spend an extra day at your campsite to catch your breath and recover, yes?"

No, I don't think so. If doing a long and challenging climb (several thousand feet just relentlessly up and up), I find that younger hikers just walk away from me. That kind of strength I'll never have again. But I'm not that slow either, and pace myself so that I don't have to stop and rest a lot, nor do I take extra days (for me more likely in town than at a campsite) to "catch my breath and recover". At the right point in time a zero day can do a great deal to make you feel strong again, but that's equally true for younger hikers.

On the AT, I strained a quadrecep in the Whites and took a couple of days rest to let that heal; not sure if age had anything to do with that or not. There are times when joints or lower back or any number of "older people complaints" can threaten to get me down, but thus far I've not had to significantly alter my process accordingly. I suppose that those days are coming, and recognize (in the context of this particular thread) that I'm not that old yet!

Marta
03-10-2013, 14:43
To add my perspective to a couple of Brian's points:

i actually do have osteoarthritis of the knees, and probably other joints. I went to my GP about my knee pain before my hike. She showed me the arthritic changes and recommended I not go ahead with my plan to thru-hike. I went anyway. I had pretty much constant knee problems, but that's been true since I was about 12 years old. My knees felt better towards the end of my hike than at the beginning. A lot of research shows that exercise is beneficial for osteoarthritis sufferers. The more the better, in my experience.

My extremely youthful fellow travelers were popping vitamin I like there was no tomorrow (!) while I rarely ever took anything. After about a month of hiking with these kids, I pointed out that I found it bizarre that I was more than twice their age and going exactly the same distance every day, without the painkillers.

I would not shun beer as a painkiller. I occasionally used my financial superiority to buy for two, if the youth would carry it to the next shelter. :-)

DeerPath
03-10-2013, 15:02

Ditto.......

johnnybgood
03-10-2013, 15:02
While "long" hikes for me are anything greater than weekend warrior status, I do take a long hike every year that a requires re-supply . Usually the first day of hiking is the toughest, which by the way your muscles will confirm to you the following day . I suffer from no arthritis and only on occasion have had back spasms which are the result of muscle tightness in the trapezius area of the upper back where the muscles are connected to the shoulder blade.

Kerosene
03-10-2013, 15:54
I'm struggling with knee osteoarthritis. For my annual section hike last Fall (Pinkham Notch to Rangeley) I had one of my knees drained and got a cortisone shot that held me for the toughest 60 miles. It looks as if I'll do arthroscopy in a few months and see how "gel shots" lubricate the knees.

I've kept myself in great shape with biking, weights, cardio machines, diet, but I can no longer jog even on a good treadmill. Very frustrating.

I've seen my pace fall by a quarter to half-mile an hour over the past decade. My aerobic capacity is very good, and my legs are still quite strong, but my knees can't take the pounding of a long fast downhill. I have found that I can still keep up with, or even surpass, younger hikers on uphills unless they've been out for a month. Everyone should be moderating their pace and style to suit their level of fitness.

"You don't stop playing because you get old; you get old because you stop playing." --Anon

Teacher & Snacktime
03-10-2013, 16:18
We don't get up ...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?12498-pee-in-a-bottle-or-not&highlight=pee+bottle

We have this ....

20295 well at least Matty has this....

As long as he doesn't enforce the "double duty" rule and use it to carry his water to the shelter.....ew

earlyriser26
03-10-2013, 16:34
A very fat 57, but still out there hiking. I now normally do day hikes or short section hikes 2-5 days. Hiked in MD two weeks ago and going out again in April. I actually put in more hikes than normal this year because I just retired.

Drybones
03-10-2013, 16:45
I like that saying, "Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee...and old folks hike accidentally sometimes".

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 17:04
I like that saying, "Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee...and old folks hike accidentally sometimes".and..."Don't piss on my shoe's and tell me it's raining"

mother goose
03-10-2013, 19:26
I'm 65 years young, started backpacking in 1988 with my first AT thru hike since then and all over the country I've backpacked 36000 miles and my goal is to do 50 thousand by the time I'm 80. Only thing to tell you is listen to your body, and yes it's gotten a little tougher over the years but I can still do a twenty when I need to.

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 19:46
I'm 65 years young, started backpacking in 1988 with my first AT thru hike since then and all over the country I've backpacked 36000 miles and my goal is to do 50 thousand by the time I'm 80. Only thing to tell you is listen to your body, and yes it's gotten a little tougher over the years but I can still do a twenty when I need to.Bless ya Mother Goose, I Aspire.

vamelungeon
03-10-2013, 19:55
I'm struggling with knee osteoarthritis. For my annual section hike last Fall (Pinkham Notch to Rangeley) I had one of my knees drained and got a cortisone shot that held me for the toughest 60 miles. It looks as if I'll do arthroscopy in a few months and see how "gel shots" lubricate the knees.

I've kept myself in great shape with biking, weights, cardio machines, diet, but I can no longer jog even on a good treadmill. Very frustrating.

I've seen my pace fall by a quarter to half-mile an hour over the past decade. My aerobic capacity is very good, and my legs are still quite strong, but my knees can't take the pounding of a long fast downhill. I have found that I can still keep up with, or even surpass, younger hikers on uphills unless they've been out for a month. Everyone should be moderating their pace and style to suit their level of fitness.

"You don't stop playing because you get old; you get old because you stop playing." --Anon
I'm 52 and have arthritic knees also. No more running for me either, and my weight has increased which makes the arthritis even worse. I guess we just have to keep on keeping on.

Another Kevin
03-10-2013, 20:19
I'm an out-of-shape and out-of-practice 57, but I figure that there's only one fix for out-of-shape and out-of-practice, so I soldier on. I do OK when I don't get sick, except that my hiking speed varies between 'snail' and 'tortoise.' (I warn partners of that, and they can plan to take more pictures, or take side trips and rejoin me later, or whatever they do when they're out with a much slower hiker.) If I did as much hiking in my 20's as I do now, I'd have been in terrific shape, but an old body doesn't shape up as fast. (But I've managed to drop 20 pounds or so in the last year, without trying, just by getting out more, so there's hope.)

I'm still a clueless weekender, because I don't have time for more. Maybe when I retire. I'm getting to an age where I can count the years to retirement with my boots on.

Prime Time
03-10-2013, 21:18
I'm 65 years young, started backpacking in 1988 with my first AT thru hike since then and all over the country I've backpacked 36000 miles and my goal is to do 50 thousand by the time I'm 80. Only thing to tell you is listen to your body, and yes it's gotten a little tougher over the years but I can still do a twenty when I need to.
You're an inspiration mother goose. I hope I run into you sometime!

Snowleopard
03-10-2013, 23:28
My biggest problem at age 69 is that my natural pace is fast, but once I hit a hill I can't maintain it. I guess I have to learn to plod along. I also have asthma, but that only affects me if pollution is very high; I probably have to hike the south in winter and early spring when it's less polluted, not in the summer. I'm hoping to do a significant section hike on the AT or end to end the Long Trail this summer.

There's a popular hiking program on NH Public TV: Window to the Wild, that follows Willem Lange, born 1935, as he hikes in the White Mountains.http://video.nhptv.org/program/windows-wild/

mother goose
03-10-2013, 23:47
You're an inspiration mother goose. I hope I run into you sometime!

Thanks Prime Time,
I'll be leaving Springer around the 20th of March headed toward "K" hope to see you out there.

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 23:59
Thanks Prime Time,
I'll be leaving Springer around the 20th of March headed toward "K" hope to see you out there.
I'm leaving on the 20th also mother goose - from Springer. Hope to see you out there.

jurahd
03-11-2013, 01:08
I 'm 63 and starting a thru in 3days. Don't feel old , I'll beat these young punks to katadyn if they think they're so special. As for the rest of you old dingbats...stay home!

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 02:34
I 'm 63 and starting a thru in 3days. Don't feel old , I'll beat these young punks to katadyn if they think they're so special. As for the rest of you old dingbats...stay home!You go Boy!

Swordpen
03-11-2013, 02:52
Some people are blessed with good genes, others not. So, its not just only taking "care" of yuourself, its also what God & your parents gave you.

I have arthritis from any early age, so a thru will never be in the cards for me (already had a joint replacement, age 50 & probably should have benn done by age 45-46).

But, I keep trying. I will say for the younger people out there, dont hike with over 35# packs (the less the better joint wise), you are probably asking for big trouble in a few years (back, knees, hips, joint replacements).

prain4u
03-11-2013, 03:13
I'm 55 and have done several 200+ section hikes. The younger hikers are faster but I'm willing to hike longer. I'm usualy out of camp befor suns up, and hike till dark.

That's me. Age 51. I hike slower--but I do longer hiking days. Unless the other hikers are young athlete who are "on a mission" to finish the whole AT real fast--I tend to hike about the same distance as many of the younger hikers. Sort of like tortoise and the hare. They sleep in. Hike fast. Stop early. I get up early. Hike slower. Take breaks. At the end of the day, we are at approximately the same place on the trail.

Ibuprofen is my friend. I call it "Vitamin I".

aficion
03-11-2013, 04:55
[QUOTE=SouthMark;1435672]I'll be 66 in May and plan on hiking the JMT this August. I have been doing a two week section hike every summer for the last six years. I took up hiking again at age 58 to hear heavy breathing again.[/QUOT

Heavy breathing is
a sometimes lovely thing
keep on keeping on

Steve Jennette
03-11-2013, 06:01
I turn 60 in May of this year, and hope I have made it to Damascus by then in my thru hike attempt.

Cookerhiker
03-11-2013, 06:53
On my first AT section hike of 40 miles at the age of 29, I struggled with aerobic conditioning (even though I was >25 lbs lighter than now) and very sore knees. Hiking through my 30s, I began to accept sore knees from steep descents as a part of life and never thought I'd hike long-distance.

So at age 57, I hike 300 miles for my longest hike: Gorham to Katahdin which as everyone knows it probably the toughest 300 mile stretch of the AT. I'm in better shape, no knee problems, a few injuries from falls on wet rocks, and a strained rib cage muscle from ascending Pleasant Pond Mountain.

Then in 2011 at age 63, I thruhike the 482 miles of the Colorado Trail - a new personal high.

As others have experienced, I'm in better shape now than in my 20s. Trekking poles have helped tremendously on the descents. Another factor which hasn't been emphasized is hydration and nutrition. Compared to my 20s, my eating habits have improved - more fresh fruits/veggies and whole grains, drinking more water. Can't underestimate how better quality food translates into a better-conditioned body.

Parkie Man
03-11-2013, 09:05
I just turned 53 today and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease on my 50th. This said, I am planning a southbound thru in 2014 with my son.

Ain't nothin gonna stop us now

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 09:31
I'll turn 57 somewhere in VA this spring. Yep, things hurt here and there but happily I find I have more endurance now than ever, and more "wisdom", though I wish I could find where I put those darn car keys...

Graygen
03-11-2013, 11:59
Turned 65 in Feb. Have done a fair amount of 5-6 day section hikes and did an out and back of Pictured Rocks last spring. Have since developed hip issues that I am now working (PT) on resolving. Hope to continue sections and am now re-scheduling a 2013 thru for 2014. Still got lots to do!!

prain4u
03-11-2013, 14:58
..... Trekking poles have helped tremendously on the descents. Another factor which hasn't been emphasized is hydration and nutrition. Compared to my 20s, my eating habits have improved - more fresh fruits/veggies and whole grains, drinking more water. Can't underestimate how better quality food translates into a better-conditioned body.

+1 to all of this.

Trekking poles--or a hiking staff--are now just an accepted (and welcome) part of hiking life for me. They really help my hiking. (I have progressive lenses in my eyeglasses--and trekking poles assist with my balance on uneven terrain). Trekking poles (or a hiking staff) are a great help on uphills/downhills. They really help absorb some of the stress and strain my legs and joints.

When I was younger, my eating food (and drinking fluids) on hikes was much more confined to just meal times and to significant breaks. I now devote much more attention to "continually" hydrating and "continually" taking on calories throughout the entire day. While hiking, it is now rare that an hour goes by without me consuming some fluids and some food. I am now much more mindful of things such as consuming sufficient calories each day--and eating a more balanced diet.

I would also add that getting adequate rest is more important to me now. I find myself taking more (but much briefer) rest breaks during the day. (However, I am not opposed to taking an occasional midday nap--if I feel the "need"). I now hike at a slower, but more steady, pace (as opposed to a fast-paced "sprint"). I always try to get proper sleep at night.

As I age, I listen to my body a whole lot more on hiking trips. If I feel that my muscles/joints/tendons "need" a zero/nero day --I take it (whether it was "scheduled" or not). I have learned that the human body needs sufficient time to rest, recover and rebuild--and you can't cut corners on that--without paying a penalty.

To sum things up: I am learning that, as I get "older", the human body REALLY DOES need adequate rest, adequate hydration, and adequate nutrition. Especially as we age, if we try to exceed the body's realistic limits (or if we try to cut corners on things like rest, hydration and nutrition) THERE IS USUALLY A CONSEQUENCE OR PENALTY TO BE PAID.

Turtle'13
03-11-2013, 20:47
I'm starting from Springer on March 30, my 65th birthday. I'll put one foot ahead of the other for as long as I can. Hopefully that will take me to Katahdyn. I've chosen a trail name, Turtle, that reflects my speed. And also my one-track purpose. To get there, and have fun. Even a turtle has to stick his head out to get somewhere.

SunnyWalker
04-03-2013, 00:18
My 60th birthday was this last March 21 (2013). I am planning to start a thru hike of CDT this April 20-30. I like vitamin I and trekker poles. I like the lightweight "craze". I hope to make it all the way to Waterton.

Kingbee
04-03-2013, 10:47
51 here. I hiked from Damascus to Pearisburg last spring in 12 days with no problems. The freedom of losing yourself on a trail for a couple of weeks is great. Gonna hike 2 weeks in Pa this spring, and 2 weeks in the Whites this summer. Can't wait for that!!

gizzy bear
04-03-2013, 11:51

you go guuuurl!!! love it!!!

swjohnsey
04-03-2013, 12:02
When you are older you have to hike smarter. I'm 66, made it from Springer to Katahdin in about 150 days with no drama.

Hot Flash
04-03-2013, 15:04

I'm turning 51 this month, though my body doesn't seem know that. I've done several ten-day excursions, but it's hard for me to work more than that into my schedule due to employment and such. I don't notice any difference between myself now and myself at 25 in terms of energy or physical ability. People keep telling me that I'm going to "feel it when you get old" but not so far. No arthritis, no back/knee problems, nothing. I'm ridiculously fit and healthy, especially for a half-century-old woman.

I know, I suck and you all hate me. That's okay :banana

BuckeyeBill
04-03-2013, 15:11
53 here planning a thru hike between now and 2018.

Namtrag
04-03-2013, 15:36
51 here...backpacked one weekend to satisfy a college PE requirement, then none until I was 51. Now I am hooked!

Going to spend our first anniversary next month doing a 2 night, 3 day Grayson Highlands trip.

Deacon
04-03-2013, 16:04
67 here, I'll attempt the Long Trail E2E again this July, and the AT in a couple years

gizzy bear
04-03-2013, 16:22
I'm turning 51 this month, though my body doesn't seem know that. I've done several ten-day excursions, but it's hard for me to work more than that into my schedule due to employment and such. I don't notice any difference between myself now and myself at 25 in terms of energy or physical ability. People keep telling me that I'm going to "feel it when you get old" but not so far. No arthritis, no back/knee problems, nothing. I'm ridiculously fit and healthy, especially for a half-century-old woman.

I know, I suck and you all hate me. That's okay :banana

i don't hate you...but you know, now you are gonna wake up tomorrow with knees the size of texas, needing to wear a diaper and a hover round parked next to your bed ;)

Hot Flash
04-03-2013, 16:53
i don't hate you...but you know, now you are gonna wake up tomorrow with knees the size of texas, needing to wear a diaper and a hover round parked next to your bed ;)

Heh...I just got back from a week of scuba diving in Belize, and a week in Florida learning how to fly a powered paraglider. The instructor told me that I was "too old" to learn how to foot-launch carrying a heavy motor on my back but I disabused him of that notion pretty quickly. :D Barring some sort of accident, I don't think I'll slow down any time soon.

Old Boots
04-03-2013, 17:37
I will be 71 in June. Hiking SOBO @ 7/1.

Moose2001
04-03-2013, 17:55
Completed my first AT thru when I was 51. Since then I've done 2 additonal AT thrus and a PCT thru. Also biked across the US three times. Age is just a state of mind. If you think you can't do it, you can't. I always chuckle when I go past a 20 something on the uphill climbs. Headed back to the PCT in April for another go. Can't wait for it.

Namtrag
04-03-2013, 18:03
Awesome Moose! Would love to be doing that many trails and thru-hikes, but alas, I have to keep working. Maybe when I am 75! lol

gizzy bear
04-03-2013, 19:57

Heh...I just got back from a week of scuba diving in Belize, and a week in Florida learning how to fly a powered paraglider. The instructor told me that I was "too old" to learn how to foot-launch carrying a heavy motor on my back but I disabused him of that notion pretty quickly. :D Barring some sort of accident, I don't think I'll slow down any time soon.

Lol!!! You take "loving yourself" to a whole other level!! I would give you props... But you already did... :cool:

coheterojo
04-03-2013, 20:53
I did my 1st AT thruhike at age 53 and my 2nd AT thruhike at age 54. I may end up doing my 3rd one SOBO this year at age 56.
I was faster than some and slower than others. I did not have any "age- related" issues than I was aware of. But then I probably wasn't aware of a lot of things.

What were we talking about?

Sclark9082
04-03-2013, 21:10
Hi there....50+ here and not looking back. The outdoors keeps me going...and finally getting to start my thru-hike in late March of 2015. Got all the blessings and sign-offs from spouse and job. LOL.

aficion
04-03-2013, 21:16
Will be 58 next month. Will keep walking a lot getting ready for my thru, 3 to 4 years out. It's better out there.

Parkie Man
04-04-2013, 10:46
1 am 53 and diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease on 50th birthday. Planning to do a SOBO in June 2014 with my 24 yearold sonson. Of course our problem will be I am too slow for him and he will be too old for me....should be able to work that out though.....since I will be holding the money....

Parkie Man
04-04-2013, 10:55
I am 53 and diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease on 50th birthday. Planning to do a SOBO in June 2014 with my 24 yearold son. Of course our problem will be I am too slow for him and he will be too fast for me....should be able to work that out though.....since I will be holding the money....

Odd Man Out
04-04-2013, 10:57
Recently I've only been able to do weekend outings, which is unfortunate as that isn't enough time to really get you into shape. On my last outing, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I couldn't see anything. I figured I had either suddenly lost all vision or it was just completely dark (something you don't eve experience at home). I assumed it was the later, but to prove the fact I had to turn on my light, which I left hanging from the peak of my tent. Unfortunately, to reach the light I would have to sit up and I realized that I was so sore from the first day of hiking, that just reaching the light that was a foot out of reach was going to be excruciatingly painful. So I probably laid there for 15 minutes trying to decide which was worse; the pain of sitting up or the fear of being blind. I eventually decided I was being stupid, bit the bullet, sat up and turned on my light. Indeed it was just really dark (and very painful).

BradMT
04-04-2013, 19:19
I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike

I'm 51... I built an entire 2-stroy house by myself over the last year (we move in next week). A 2,000 mile hike would be relatively simple and easy compared to what I just did. And I say that as a guy that walked 1,000 miles of the AT by the time I was 16 years old.

Ibuprofin and a Neoair are your friends for the over 50 crowd...

RCBear
04-04-2013, 19:33
50 is the new 30!!!!

..... At least I hope so, cuz I'll be there in a couple years :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Likes2travel
04-06-2013, 23:09
At the ripe old age of 51, after having 4 heart attacks and getting 7 stents, I am planning on a section hike in June. Have not backpacked in 36 years. Been exercising and working my way up. Planning on doing an 18 mile and 25 mile trip here close too home as a part of my training. If all goes well I plan on another section hike in September.

double d
04-06-2013, 23:20
When I hiked the AT at age 51, I felt like I was in better shape (for long-distance hiking) than I was at age 25. I'm not all that sure I could have handled the mental and physical rigors of a long hike when I was younger. I liken it to marathon runners--it seems that many start running marathons in their 30s and into their 50s.

I was able to draw from a lifetime of backcountry experience to stay warm, dry, and healthy out there, and actually spent a larger percentage of time on the Trail than many younger hikers. There were times I was out there alone in storms, for instance, when others bailed into towns. I ate better and took better care of skin issues than I would have if I were younger.

It was also nice to have the financial resources of older age, though I didn't need it. My hike ended up being cheaper than most, because of aforesaid experience in staying out on the trail. But if I wanted an expensive salad, or really needed a motel room, I got it.

I really respect the younger folks who make it--it seems they actually have a harder time in some respects.

Well Said!

illabelle
04-07-2013, 07:04
At the ripe old age of 51, after having 4 heart attacks and getting 7 stents, I am planning on a section hike in June. Have not backpacked in 36 years. Been exercising and working my way up. Planning on doing an 18 mile and 25 mile trip here close too home as a part of my training. If all goes well I plan on another section hike in September.

Good for you! I admire you for making this U-turn from a life that would probably be abbreviated, to a new long life of health and strength. 51 is way too young for what you've experienced. I hope you are successful in your efforts at transformation.

illabelle
04-07-2013, 07:12

Good for you! I admire you for making this U-turn from a life that would probably be abbreviated, to a new long life of health and strength. 51 is way too young for what you've experienced. I hope you are successful in your efforts at transformation.

double d
04-07-2013, 09:15
I'm going to post the usual philosophies of aging, but here they go: As we age, we must excerise more (and keep a healthy body weight), eat much better (no more then 2,000 calories a day unless hiking, of course), know our numbers from a simple blood test (LDH/HDL numbers, total cholesterol, blood pressure-BMI, etc.), have better mental health (automatic postive thoughts/behaviors), save few bucks when we can and give to others to improve their lives/well being. I would say that most of use enjoy our 20's-30's in terms of starting out in adult life, but mature and find whats important later in life, like enjoying hiking and finding time to do it. I think anyone can hike the whole AT after age 50, hell I hiked with many that have, as that would be no problem if you don't make it one.

dab48eu
04-07-2013, 22:40
I am 71 & started section hiking the AT in 2007. I have retired and have more time now. Last year I hiked Harpers Ferry to Pawling, NY, about 400 miles. In June I am planning to pick back up at Pawling and get off in Rutland, VT- about 300 miles.

QiWiz
04-08-2013, 15:51
At age 57 and overweight/obese, did the 280 miles from Amicalola SP to Hot Springs in 3 weeks. Light pack was key. I tended to hike more hours per day than most others who covered as many miles per day. Got the normal blisters under ball of feet that I always get; but by week two they were callused. Had normal trail aches and pains. Aleve was consumed regularly. Had a great time.

BTW, I don't consider myself "older" or "elderly". Suffering builds character. The more I suffer, the more of a character I become.

q-tip
04-08-2013, 19:29
57 YO-1,100 mi and going.....