PDA

View Full Version : Which section advisable from mid June to mid September?

rulf
03-10-2013, 06:12
Hi everybody,

I am contemplating hiking a part of the Appalachian Trail although I haven't done hiking before. In the following two months I want to get into shape by hiking on the weekends and then see how it goes. My departure time would be in mid june and I just wanted to ask whether anyone could recommend me a good section hike on the Appalachian Trail for three months from mid june to mid september. So, I'm not really familiar with the trail, I just wanted to get an idea which sections of the trail could be recommended for that period of time and for somebody who hasn't done any serious hiking before.

I'd be glad for advice!

Rain Man
03-10-2013, 10:19
Don't ignore the fact that that period of time includes the hottest summer months in America. Some days could be over 100 F with high humidity.

That said, June and September can include cool temps and even snow at some northern elevations. Would you consider bouncing around a bit, or are you willing and determined to hike through the heat? AT thru-hikers have no choice.

Rain Man

kofritz
03-10-2013, 12:25
new england (massachusettes, connecticutt, vermont, new hampshire, maine) might be the better location due to above note heat concerns.

Cookerhiker
03-10-2013, 21:31
So you're coming from Germany and you haven't hiked much. First of all in the 3 months beforehand, I suggest you (1) work out aerobically in order to minimize the huffing and puffing up the first hill; and (2) buy a backpack and practice hiking with weight to become accustomed to carrying it. Meanwhile, buy your gear and make sure you have a tent (not tarp) because you will need mosquito protection at night. Do a few practice hikes with your gear including camping so that your AT hike isn't your first camping experience.

I recommend that you fly to New York and take the MetroNorth train to Pawling, NY. Start your hike northbound where the AT crossed Rt. 22. The first 150 miles to Vermont are relatively "easy" but please note that "easy" doesn't mean "flat." By the time you reach Vermont, you'll be in good trail shape as it becomes more difficult i.e. more and longer ups & down. When you arrive at Glencliff, NH, you're about to start the most challenging part of the entire Trail over the next 200 miles. It's also the most beautiful in the summer with high-elevation above treeline vistas in NH and sparkling lakes in Maine.

As Rain Man said, be prepared for much hotter and more humid weather than you're accustomed to in Germany. This is especially true for the first few hundred miles of your hike.

From Pawling, it's 742 miles to Katahdin, the northern end point. Even with a slow pace, you should make it within your 3 month timeframe.

rulf
03-12-2013, 09:34
Thank you very much for replying.

I still need to figure out what I need as far as equipment goes and where to get it cheap. Apart from that I'm still contemplating whether the PCT would be a good alternative, although I think it's a bit harder to do? I plan on not doing mail order and therefore it's maybe not so easy to go the ~5 days without resupply on the PCT. But maybe the weather is not so extreme on the PCT? Anyway, I guess the AT is probably better for a beginner.

I guess I'll also not do hardcore distances per day, not sure how much I can do, but I wanted to keep it moderate. Thus, I'll have to see how far I can go in the three months time and how I organize logistics (gotta book the planes otherwise it'll cost me dearly).

Well, quite a bit to organize.. ;)

Venchka
03-12-2013, 10:03
new england (massachusettes, connecticutt, vermont, new hampshire, maine) might be the better location due to above note heat concerns.

Absolutely! Positively! Start at the North End in Maine. Hike South. Insect protection is a must - applies to the entire AT during those months.

Wayne

Cookerhiker
03-12-2013, 11:14
In general, the PCT is easier than the AT once you're acclimated to the higher elevations. It's also much less rainy and the heat is dry, not humid. But as you're aware, the resupply points are less frequent.

Absolutely! Positively! Start at the North End in Maine. Hike South. Insect protection is a must - applies to the entire AT during those months.

Wayne

Remember Wayne, the OP has never hiked before. I don't think Maine in mid-June is the best place for one's inaugural backpacking experience.

RED-DOG
03-12-2013, 11:19
Start in Harper's ferry W.V and hike North go as far as you want.

Venchka
03-12-2013, 13:36

Wayne

OOPS!

Post #4 is also a good plan relative to transportation to get started and easy hiking in the beginning. (Personally, I never follow this sound advice. It only hurts for the first week.) You will need to work out the return trip to New York, NY from Maine.
I would buy my backpack and boots in Europe. Make sure that both fit properly. Break in your boots! Practice hiking in the Alps if possible. Flat land hiking practice will not prepare you for the up and down hiking in America. I know. I live in flat land. It takes me 1 or 2 weeks to get in shape in the mountains on foot or on my bike.
You could easily find a good sleeping bag and tent in the U.S. very quickly. Buy a gas canister stove in Europe or the U.S. Buy the gas canisters in the U.S. DO NOT TRY TO BRING STOVE FUEL ON THE PLANE.

Wayne

Cookerhiker
03-12-2013, 17:07
...Buy a gas canister stove in Europe or the U.S. Buy the gas canisters in the U.S. DO NOT TRY TO BRING STOVE FUEL ON THE PLANE.

Wayne

There was a time when stoves bought on one continent did not screw into canisters bought in the other. Don't know if that's still the case but if he buys the stove in the US, it's not an issue.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-12-2013, 17:26
I have to agree with Red-Dog. Harpers Ferry through Maryland is the easiest part of the trail and a great place to get used to it but it will be hot weatherwise. Whatever you do, if you have no real hiking experience, DON'T START IN MAINE OR NEW HAMPSHIRE!

rulf
03-18-2013, 06:09
Thanks for all the input, guys. It might be that I go even earlier (towards end of April?) - would you say the same route still applies then that some of you mentioned. From New York to northbound?

All the best.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2013, 07:03
Thanks for all the input, guys. It might be that I go even earlier (towards end of April?) - would you say the same route still applies then that some of you mentioned. From New York to northbound?

All the best.

No - if you start near end of April, then I would begin the hike at Harpers Ferry. If you fly to NY, take the train to Washington DC and another train to Harpers Ferry. Or you can fly to Washington, DC.

The problem with starting at Pawling, NY in late April is that you're hiking in Vermont in "mud season," plus you'll reach the White Mountains too soon when it's still winter-like.