PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House Dinners

Rightfoot
03-10-2013, 08:59
Just curious... What is your favorite Mountain House Dinner? What was the least favorite?. Were the single servings enough after a full days hike. I've always been a DIY when it comes to meals and thought I would give a couple the try.

Thanks

Almost There
03-10-2013, 09:01
I only buy the freeze dried packs. Beef Stroganoff is my favorite...pasta primavera least favorite. These have always been plenty for me, and I'm a big guy (6ft, 250).

Old Hiker
03-10-2013, 09:08
Pasta primavera is my favorite. Can't stand the eggs. Coleman meals were better, I think, esp. the Max Patch mac and cheese and a few of the other pasta ones.

TroutknuT
03-10-2013, 09:21
Cheese in a meal sticks to spoons. Optimus makes a titanium spoon with a smooth end, better to get the cheese off. That said most of the MH meals are good, verriaty is good.

ChuckBrown
03-10-2013, 09:23
Turkey tetrazini, everything you need, turkey, pasta, asparagus and sauce. They also make a line called marine cuisine, you can get real chicken or beef patties. Good for a change once in a while. after a few months on the trail, no amount of food will be enough.

Praha4
03-10-2013, 09:29
Favorite MH dinners:
Spaghetti w/meat sauce
Pasta Primavera

Favorite MH breakfast:
Granola w/blueberries n' milk

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 09:31
I like em' all. Mountain House, Coleman, Backpackers Pantry, any of them. But if I had to pick a favorite MH Beef Stroganoff would be it. Coleman Mac & Cheese is really good. I just posted this yesterday over on the Walmart thread. Walmart I think may be discontinuing the Colemans because I was just at our local store and they were discounting the Colemans on an end display for $4.00 a piece and there were very few left. The Mountain Houses were where the Colemans used to be and with a very fair selection, ranging from $5.88 - $6.88.

colorado_rob
03-10-2013, 10:19
The "serving size" of these things always confuses me, they seem to change, I just look for the calorie content, and 550-650 cals in the pack seems right for me after a long day. I love the MH Lasagna, but it sure makes a mess out of my spoon, the cheese is so sticky. I guess Beef Stew is my favorite, anything with brocoli is my least. By the way: Costco sells 10-packs of MH dinners for just over 40 bucks, pretty good deal, I just bought two boxes to jump start my AT supply.

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 10:30
By the way: Costco sells 10-packs of MH dinners for just over 40 bucks, pretty good deal, I just bought two boxes to jump start my AT supply.
Are these all dinners or are these the ones with breakfasts and desserts included?

colorado_rob
03-10-2013, 10:41
Are these all dinners or are these the ones with breakfasts and desserts included? Unfortunately, the 10-packs only include four dinner varieties, the Lasagna, chicken teriaki, Beef Stew and beef strogenhof. I use these 10-packs only as a "base" starting point. REI will have some freeze dried foods on sale here shortly, when the dividends come out in mid-march (or they always have in the past).

atmilkman
03-10-2013, 11:58
Unfortunately, the 10-packs only include four dinner varieties, the Lasagna, chicken teriaki, Beef Stew and beef strogenhof. I use these 10-packs only as a "base" starting point. REI will have some freeze dried foods on sale here shortly, when the dividends come out in mid-march (or they always have in the past).

$40.00 is still a pretty good deal for the bundle when you consider some places sell single dinners for up to $9.00. It's like getting all the other stuff free.

Blackbeard30
03-10-2013, 12:37
Chili Mac and beef

wcgornto
03-10-2013, 12:41
Coleman meals are Enertia Trail Foods relabeled. Not all Enertia products are sold s Coleman. You can't go wrong either way.

http://trailfoods.com/aboutus.html

Another great option is Hawk Vittles. These are dehydrated meals rather than freeze dried, so they have a shorter shelf life ( one year vs. thirty years). They provide a flavorful alternative to Mountain House and offer more variety.

hawkvittles.com

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 13:02
Coleman meals are Enertia Trail Foods relabeled. Not all Enertia products are sold s Coleman...

http://trailfoods.com/aboutus.html

Another great option is Hawk Vittles. These are dehydrated meals rather than freeze dried, so they have a shorter shelf life ( one year vs. thirty years). They provide a flavorful alternative to Mountain House and offer more variety.

hawkvittles.com

Thanks Wcgornto. I didn't know that. Hawk Vittles I've bought from before though. Definitely, as you say, offering GOOD variety.

The "serving size" of these things always confuses me, they seem to change, I just look for the calorie content, and 550-650 cals in the pack seems right for me after a long day.
- Colorado Rob

I do the same thing as CR. I'm looking at total cals and other nutritional info. I find it ridiculous FOR ME, after I hiked for 14 hrs, to assume a portion sized dinner is 400 cals. I'm not a 12 yr old girl who just came in off the playground.

johnnybgood
03-10-2013, 15:42
While the Mountain Meals can replenish lost carbs from hiking all day, they are truely too bulky to carry more than a few. The next time I buy some, (my Costco has the bundle for $44), the better solution is to take the meals from their MH package and try vacumn packing those suckers to a managable size.

Now to answer your question; The limited variety of meals I've actually tasted, I have found Chicken Dumplings and Teriaki(sp)Chicken to be my favorites.

Kerosene
03-10-2013, 23:10
Beef Stroganoff and the Turkey Tetrazzini are my favorites. I try to stay away from anything with rice, as pockets of it never seem to rehydrate regardless of my attempts.

Mountain Mike
03-10-2013, 23:21
Beef Stroganoff Or Lasagna. After a week on the trail their two person entree make a good serving size.

colorado_rob
03-10-2013, 23:44
While the Mountain Meals can replenish lost carbs from hiking all day, they are truely too bulky to carry more than a few. The next time I buy some, (my Costco has the bundle for $44), the better solution is to take the meals from their MH package and try vacumn packing those suckers to a managable size. I take all my freeze dried meals out of their original packaging and put them in zip locks, makes for much less bulk plus saves about 3/4 ounces of wasted packaging per meal.

k2basecamp
03-11-2013, 06:35
I too vote for the beef stroganoff.

The worst is chili mac w/beef. I could only get it down by eating it cold and crunchy.

Starchild
03-11-2013, 10:01
I find that the dinners taste better then the breakfasts so I have used a single dinner MH as a breakfast and lunch meal, the package has a internal zip lock and I just pored 1/2 of on in my mug and rehydrate it there, saving the rest for later. As for the meals available, the best advice is go with what sounds good to you, foods and dishes you like already, and stay away from ones you don't like in their non-freeze dried form.

I plan to use this strategy for dinner to combine 1/2 a MH with some other supplement like instant mashed potatoes, and saving the other half for another meal. Helps keep the cost down and adds variety. When hiking with a another and sharing meals I have found that splitting a MH with another supplemental, usually cheaper, food is a good plan.

RED-DOG
03-11-2013, 10:28
I always liked the Chili-Mac, My least favorite is any of the breakfast.

GrumpyOne
04-02-2013, 10:00
Was at the local Costco buying food for an upcoming Boy Scout trip and found out Costco is discontinuing the Mountain House 10pack. So if you can find them, buy them up now.

jw

By the way: Costco sells 10-packs of MH dinners for just over 40 bucks, pretty good deal, I just bought two boxes to jump start my AT supply.

Chris10
04-08-2013, 18:56
Just had the beef stew, and was surprised to find that it was actually pretty good, and easy to use. I'm sold!

Hot Flash
04-09-2013, 14:30
Some of them are tasty, but most of them are packed with incredible amounts of sodium...

Almost There
04-09-2013, 14:35
Some of them are tasty, but most of them are packed with incredible amounts of sodium...

Sodium isn't such a bad thing when you're hiking in the heat of summer...as long as you're drinking enough water.

FlyPaper
04-09-2013, 14:55
Just curious... What is your favorite Mountain House Dinner? What was the least favorite?. Were the single servings enough after a full days hike. I've always been a DIY when it comes to meals and thought I would give a couple the try.

Thanks

Favorite: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Least Favoriate: Louisiana Red Beans and Rice (it just beans, rice, and a whole lot of salt as flavoring).

Lasagna is very good, but I never buy it anymore. It is extremely difficult to clean a
spoon after having eaten Lasagna. Not something you want to deal with on the trail.
Apparently many others have this same opinion.

daddytwosticks
04-09-2013, 15:47
Try their wraps. Loved the Buffalo Chicken this past weekend on the trail. :)

Astro
04-09-2013, 16:02
Chili Mac and beef

Dogwood
04-09-2013, 16:37
Try their wraps. Loved the Buffalo Chicken this past weekend on the trail. :)

How does that work? How do you warm up wraps with just an alchy fancy feast stove?

Hot Flash
04-09-2013, 16:46
Sodium isn't such a bad thing when you're hiking in the heat of summer...as long as you're drinking enough water.

It is for people who have issues with it. I don't, but I know a lot of folks who do.

Tuckahoe
04-09-2013, 16:53
How does that work? How do you warm up wraps with just an alchy fancy feast stove?

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW (http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW)

The Mountain House wraps are just fillings for your own tortillas or bread.

58starter
04-09-2013, 17:56
Chili Mac and Beef is most filling. 2nd the Costco buy. plus in Florida our Wal Mart started selling them again for $5.88 each.

Just Jack
04-09-2013, 19:53
Directions on package say to add the hot water and let "simmer" in a sock for about 7-10 minutes. I find that I need to leave MH in the sock for at least 20 minutes to get a good meal. Anybody got any secrets for preparing a MH meal?
Hard to find but I really like the Seafood Chowder.

daddytwosticks
04-10-2013, 07:22
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW (http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW)

The Mountain House wraps are just fillings for your own tortillas or bread. Correct. The filling looks like orange baby food once constituted. However, the taste is awesome and has just enough spices. :)

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 11:05
I usually bring one or two. Lasagna, beef strog., spaghetti, or chili mac.

But too bulky to bring many. I look forward to eating them though,more than a pasta side and tuna.

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 11:16
I started repackaging them in heavy duty ziplock bags to cut down on the bulkiness . I'm not bringing more than 2 meals (repackaged makes 4 smaller meals) for any weekend hike.

capehiker
05-05-2013, 12:58
I like the chili mac and lasagna. I also like the scrambled eggs and I add parmesan cheese and bacon bits.

daddytwosticks
05-06-2013, 07:25
I wanna try the breakfast wraps. I think they are eggs, cheese, potatoes, sausage, peper, and onion. Sounds great on a whole wheat tortilla w/some hot sauce. :)

Pasta Wench
05-07-2013, 16:43
I'm partial of course to Pasta Wench Backpacking pasta meals. Ten flavors of vegan pasta comes with olive oil and parmesan cheese, salt/pepper packets. :)

hikerboy57
05-07-2013, 16:50
Beef Stroganoff Or Lasagna. After a week on the trail their two person entree make a good serving size.
mountain house meals only serve two people when they suck.
same favorites-beef stroganoff and lasagna.worst-scrambled eggs and bacon

RED-DOG
05-07-2013, 16:52
My favorite is the Pro-Packs any of the Dinner's.

Wise Old Owl
05-07-2013, 17:28
While the Mountain Meals can replenish lost carbs from hiking all day, they are truely too bulky to carry more than a few. The next time I buy some, (my Costco has the bundle for $44), the better solution is to take the meals from their MH package and try vacumn packing those suckers to a managable size.

Now to answer your question; The limited variety of meals I've actually tasted, I have found Chicken Dumplings and Teriaki(sp)Chicken to be my favorites.

Propac are not bulky and repacking can cause spoilage.
I suggest you mix them with FBC

daddytwosticks
05-08-2013, 07:25
Propac are not bulky and repacking can cause spoilage.
I suggest you mix them with FBC I'm just a section hiker so my appetite has never kicked in on my hikes. I've always divided my Mt House meals in two before I go out on a hike. Double-wrapped in ziplocks and stored in the freezer before my hikes, I've never had spoilage. :)

Double Wide
05-08-2013, 07:30
Mountain House Chili Mac is pretty damn good, especially when supplemented with a packet of tabasco I lifted from Panera Bread. The stroganoff is pretty good too. Haven't eaten enough of them to decide which is least favorite yet...

Nytro
06-01-2013, 11:12
Beef Stroganoff or Grilled Chicken Fajita Mix!

grateful 2
06-01-2013, 21:04
Plus one on the seafood chowder. It is as good as any you will get at a high end restaurant.
Directions on package say to add the hot water and let "simmer" in a sock for about 7-10 minutes. I find that I need to leave MH in the sock for at least 20 minutes to get a good meal. Anybody got any secrets for preparing a MH meal?
Hard to find but I really like the Seafood Chowder.

Dutch1976
08-06-2013, 04:41
I've tried quite a few now..I don't like the breakfast foods, I'd rather eat oatmeal or even a MH dinner for breakfast.

If I have a choice I really don't care for the red sauce dinners..Spahgetti, lasagna ect., something about them..But even those are no worst than cafeteria food.

I prefer the dinners based on rice or mashed potatoes.

Those "2 serving" bags are 1 serving.

Sunshine82
08-06-2013, 11:41
Pasta primavera!!it can't be beat!

atmilkman
08-06-2013, 11:48
I always liked the Chili-Mac, My least favorite is any of the breakfast.

mountain house meals only serve two people when they suck.
same favorites-beef stroganoff and lasagna.worst-scrambled eggs and bacon

Totally agree about the breakfast meals. Something just doesn't come together with these.

Kodak-RM
08-06-2013, 12:00
I have used the MH before but this hike I am putting together my own food. I found most of the recipes from www.trailcooking.com.

My fav MH is the Buffalo Chicken ...

nu2hike
08-06-2013, 17:22
My favorites are MH Rice and Chicken and MH Chicken Salad! I was skeptical about the chicken salad but its very tasty and requires only cold water!

earlyriser26
08-06-2013, 18:06
Try the Mexican style rice and chicken. Beef strog. and spag. both good too.

jacob_springsteen
12-02-2014, 21:47
Try the Mexican style rice and chicken. Beef strog. and spag. both good too.

The New Orleans Rice w/ shrimp and ham was surprisingly good and I don't like shrimp all that much unless it battered in coconut chased by a beer. The breakfast skillet wrap is really good. The chicken breast and mashed potato one I will never buy again. The chicken "breasts" had an amorphous texture. Better off bringing a Sue Bee chicken foil and pouch of Idaho loaded instant mashed potatoes.

Connie
12-02-2014, 22:41
ProPak Lasagna.

1azarus
12-02-2014, 23:59
ProPak Lasagna.my favorite, too. I will occasionally eat them every other night!

aaronthebugbuffet
12-03-2014, 05:36
Sweet and Sour Pork is the only one I've ever had. Another hikers was getting MH in mail drops and didn't like that one.
This was at the end of a north bound so of course I thought it was delicious.

Havana
12-03-2014, 09:30
Beef Strog and Lasagna (chipping the cheese off the spoon is a fine desert). Breakfast eggs are palatable as long as you carry a hot sauce to give them some flavor. I'll have to try the wraps.

Glacier
12-15-2014, 14:36
Chili Mac and beef

Yep...chili mac for the win

colorado_rob
12-15-2014, 14:44
MH dinners are all horrible. I just bought 20 of them on sale at Campmor for next spring's hunger-fest along the AT....

Connie
12-15-2014, 23:13
Okay, raspberry crumble, then.

zelph
01-02-2015, 20:04
Chicken and rice. I buy the #10 cans by the case when it's on sale.

July
01-02-2015, 20:39
I've always divided my Mt House meals in two before I go out on a hike. Double-wrapped in ziplocks and stored in the freezer before my hikes, I've never had spoilage. :)

I can 2nd this, have repacked in freezer qt zip-locks and bounced up to a month before eating, stayed fresh. If hungry can't beat the chicken-ala-king, pasta primavera also UuMmm...

gregpphoto
01-08-2015, 16:14
I recommend Backpackers Pantry. Cheaper, better ingredients.

Walkintom
02-11-2015, 16:50
Alpine Aire has some good meals with better ingredient lists as well. The Black Bart's Chili is especially good.

sympathetic joy
02-11-2015, 18:53
Not sure it applies everywhere but I found Mountain House dinners on clearance for $5 at my local Walmart. I picked up a few of the breakfast skillet.

putts
02-11-2015, 23:10
Not sure it applies everywhere but I found Mountain House dinners on clearance for $5 at my local Walmart. I picked up a few of the breakfast skillet.

I noticed the same here.

garyfromboston
02-19-2015, 20:44
Same here down in Florida. As I passed through the outdoors section of Wally World I noticed that all of their meals were discounted. The MH and BP were half price. I bought what was left!

Hikes in Rain
02-19-2015, 20:54
I tried that. Some folks beat me to it. Shelves were stripped bare. :mad:

globetruck
02-19-2015, 21:43
Lately, I've been ordering #10 cans full of mountain house foods. Check out readystore.com and wait for a sale. I leave the can at home and put a bunch of dehydrated meals in a ziploc bag for my actual hikes. That way I'm not limited to any particular serving size.

HDLV
02-20-2015, 01:50
Chili Mac and beef for the win. Avoid the shepards pie at all costs!

billnchristy
05-16-2015, 23:25
Every Black Friday-Christmas when Amazon has the lightning deals they put the buckets and 3 day emergency packs of MH up on sale. I got one in 2013 for $30. It has 1 blueberry/granola 2 eggs and bacon, 1 rice and chicken, 2 beef stroganoff, 2 chicken terryaki, and 1 pasta primavera.

Obviously a ways away, but keep an eye out for it, not bad getting 9 bags of MH for 30 bucks.

10-K
05-17-2015, 13:05
REI has a "bucket" of 29 Mountain House meals for $67.49 (marked down from $99.00). 25 are real dinners (not throwaways like Raspberry Crumble....) and 4 Granola and Blueberries. Figure $75 with tax and free shipping works out to about $2.60 per meal.

I think that's the best I've ever seen.

http://www.rei.com/product/865600/mountain-house-just-in-case-classic-assorted-freeze-dried-food-bucket

bemental
05-17-2015, 13:10
REI has a "bucket" of 29 Mountain House meals for $67.49 (marked down from $99.00). 25 are real dinners (not throwaways like Raspberry Crumble....) and 4 Granola and Blueberries. Figure $75 with tax and free shipping works out to about $2.60 per meal.

I think that's the best I've ever seen.

http://www.rei.com/product/865600/mountain-house-just-in-case-classic-assorted-freeze-dried-food-bucket

Servings, not meals.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/17/e1fc7f73c6be13f11beea2a1754b4a40.jpg

But still a better deal than full price.

Old Hiker
05-17-2015, 13:25
Lately, I've been ordering #10 cans full of mountain house foods. Check out readystore.com and wait for a sale. I leave the can at home and put a bunch of dehydrated meals in a ziploc bag for my actual hikes. That way I'm not limited to any particular serving size.

https://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi/s?page=freeze_dried_and_dehydrated.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%

I've bought from here - right now 25% - 40% off #10 cans. Not sure how long the sale will last.

10-K
05-17-2015, 13:26
If you look at the weights on the packages you'll see they are the "full size" packages. Not the "Pro-Pak" which are smaller.

bemental
05-17-2015, 14:04
If you look at the weights on the packages you'll see they are the "full size" packages. Not the "Pro-Pak" which are smaller.

Yea, gotcha. And in the description it says servings.

"Includes 5 servings each of beef stroganoff with noodles, chicken teriyaki with rice, beef stew, lasagna with meat sauce and noodles & chicken"

10-K
05-17-2015, 14:07
Yea, gotcha. And in the description it says servings.

"Includes 5 servings each of beef stroganoff with noodles, chicken teriyaki with rice, beef stew, lasagna with meat sauce and noodles & chicken"

I'm pretty sure by servings they mean packages. Many (all?) of the Pro-Paks have 1.5 servings I think - could be wrong about that. I'll let you know - I ordered 2 buckets.

billnchristy
05-17-2015, 19:39
Those packets are 2.5 servings each, so the bucket has 2 each of the dinners (10 packets) and 4 packets of the breakfasts, which are one serving each.

10x2.5=25+4=29 servings.

Still a decent deal though, nothing to scoff at.

10-K
05-17-2015, 21:02

10-K
05-17-2015, 21:42
However, it appears you are right Bill. 2 pouches each of 6 different items. 12 pouches @ $75 with tax works out to $6.25 each. Well, you do get a bucket... :)

http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/product/0080635.html

andyg
11-17-2015, 18:29
Any suggestions on cooking the MH a little better? They're boiling hot after letting them sit for 10 minutes, but there's always little chunky parts that haven't hydrated/cooked.