PDA

View Full Version : Re supply for traverse of the Smokies

rhyolite
03-10-2013, 13:48
Greetings class 2013! Hopefully I catch a few who haven't already left on their trek! I'm wondering if the post office in Fontana Village is the only place that accepts food caches and, if sent from Hiawassee, would it arrive in ample time (say five days)? What are most of you doing for re supply at this point?
Happy Trails Class of 2013,
best
Mike:banana

yellowsirocco
03-10-2013, 13:56
You can send it to the lodge as well. The lodge is actually a better choice since there is someone at the desk 24/7. Hiawassee should be plenty of time.

Five days is very optimistic for 100 miles as well. Figure more like 7.

yellowsirocco
03-10-2013, 13:57
7 days of hiking that is, town time for Franklin and NOC will slow you down even more.

rhyolite
03-10-2013, 14:28
I was hoping to maintain a 22mi/day avg pace regardless of terrain. Is the trail through the Smokies in poor condition? Is the weather a factor to longer hiking time? I live where the terrain out my door is steep and rocky, so training is good for the AT. I do understand that the terrain of the Smokies boasts some of the highest relief and wettest weather. I wanted to avoid too many stops in towns along the way. NOC is one place I was planning to blow through.

Drybones
03-10-2013, 17:08
The Fontana village store had good re-supply goods last year, I would assume this year also.

Stir Fry
03-10-2013, 17:51
Outfitter from Natahala runs a shuttle 2 tims a day from Newfound gap. So theres no need to carry for 7 days. If you go through Fontana during prime hiking times Feb-May they have a good supply of what hikers look for.