PDA

View Full Version : Ridge line for tarps

NCMedic
03-10-2013, 14:34
So I have been using tarps more and more while hiking over the last year and love the lighter weight and versatility they provide. However, a question to the group. When pitching a basic A frame configuration, should I be running a ridge line under the tarp or are just using the tie outs sufficient with this pitch. If I use a ridge line I am assuming it really is not attached to the tarp but used more as a point to help create a cleaner pitch for Ind and rain.

Thanks

NCmedic

DeerPath
03-10-2013, 14:45
Here's a nice video using a ridge line, May give you some ideas on setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo&feature=player_embedded)

BigHodag
03-10-2013, 18:59
Being a hammock hanger, I use a tarp and ridgeline. I use a separate ridgeline and run it under my tarp. I also clip the ends of my tarp to the ridgeline. I attached two shock cord prussicks to the ridgeline and use small carabiners to clip through the eyelets on the tarp. This keeps the tarp tight ans I can adjust the tarps position a foot or so.

Normally, a tarp hangs from a ridgeline and not over to reduce wear from abrasion. I use an inexpensive hardware store polypro tarp, so I run mine underneath to provide a convenient place to hang eyeglasses and damp socks.

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 20:16
No need to run a ridgeline under the tarp in a tarp A frame configuration. The ridgeline tie outs are all that's required. Only times I've use a ridgeline under a tarp is when hammocking which is a slightly different beast.

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 20:29
A catenary cut tarp, while somewhat limiting the types of configurations you can set up that type of tarp, it DOES allow for a tighter pitch in the A Frame config. Might make it easier if you are a tarp beginner to go with a catenary cut at first especially if you have a high probability of setting up tarps in more exposed windy sites.

I love the tarp wt and volume too. My oversized Cuben tarps, offering complete coverage in the worst of weather, weigh in at 6 oz. With dedicated tarp poles(3.5 ozs), polycro ground cloth(1.5 oz), guy lines(1 oz), Ti skewer and Vargo stakes(1.5 oz), and even if I include my homemade Tulle bug netting(3 ozs) I'm still about 1 lb! I can certainly leave the Tulle at home too when not needed to avoid those 3 ozs. AND, if I use trekking poles I eliminate the 3.5 ozs in the dedicated extruded carbon tarp poles. OPTIONS! VERSATILITY! WEATHER PROTECTION! BUG PROTECTION! ALL IN A 1 LB SHELTER!

NCMedic
03-11-2013, 10:31
A catenary cut tarp, while somewhat limiting the types of configurations you can set up that type of tarp, it DOES allow for a tighter pitch in the A Frame config. Might make it easier if you are a tarp beginner to go with a catenary cut at first especially if you have a high probability of setting up tarps in more exposed windy sites.

I love the tarp wt and volume too. My oversized Cuben tarps, offering complete coverage in the worst of weather, weigh in at 6 oz. With dedicated tarp poles(3.5 ozs), polycro ground cloth(1.5 oz), guy lines(1 oz), Ti skewer and Vargo stakes(1.5 oz), and even if I include my homemade Tulle bug netting(3 ozs) I'm still about 1 lb! I can certainly leave the Tulle at home too when not needed to avoid those 3 ozs. AND, if I use trekking poles I eliminate the 3.5 ozs in the dedicated extruded carbon tarp poles. OPTIONS! VERSATILITY! WEATHER PROTECTION! BUG PROTECTION! ALL IN A 1 LB SHELTER!

I am toying with purchasing a cuben fiber tarp this summer if I can find a deal on a used one. I have restricted my equipment budget this year in order to spend more time hiking. As of this moment I am making use of an 6x8 sil nylon tarp and am just not satisfied with the tarp stretching after being pitched....and yes because of this, I am ever mindful of where I am pitching the tarp to minimize wind loading :)

Last night I did a bit of experimenting with a "temporary" ridgeline strung between my trekking poles as there was a good breeze. It seemed definitely help define the pitch and the pitch was much tigher but as BigHodag stated above, I am a bit concerned about abrasion over time.

My setup weighs in at ~10 oz for the tarp, am using a polycro ground cloth as well, Dyneema guy lines and Ti shepherds hook stakes. If I need more bite with the stakes, I generally will tie up with rocks as there seems to be an abundance of these on the trail. HaHa.

Thanks for the advise from everybody, I love the resource.

NCmedic

FarmerChef
03-11-2013, 11:41
When I have set up in an A frame config (once on the trail) I used poles for primary support in the center as we were on a tent pad. I could see running cord around the pole tips, across and down to the ground on either side but I wonder how easy that is in practice to do without the poles falling over. In the woods that's less of an issue since you can just run a piece of cord between two trees (provided the site selection is sound) and then hang or drape as you see fit.

One other trick to use with tarps if you don't have a tie-out in the right spot is to make a ghosty. Place a small rounded pebble (I use checkerboard pieces) on the underside of the tarp then squish the tarp around it, gathering it underneath. The image here is like a handkerchief draped over a tennis ball, grabbing the bottom into a skirt that looks like a ghost. Hence Ghosty. Slip a loop of cord around the bottom of the pebble/object and pull the loop tight. You can then release your grip on the rest of the tarp which will spring back to shape again (assuming it's already somewhat pitched) and you can tie your now-affixed cord to whatever you need. This has come to my aid in some of those tent pads where I had to pitch in a peculiar way to adapt to the spot.

Rocket Jones
03-11-2013, 13:39
Heh, never heard them called 'ghosty' before. Good tip.

As an alternative on a corner (not necessarily desirable, but workable), gather your tarp and use it as the 'loop' half of a sheet bend (http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbend/) with your guy line. This is actually recommended by one tyvek manufacturer in certain circumstances.

NCMedic
03-11-2013, 14:41
Love the ghosty!!! Use this little bugger all the time..