PDA

View Full Version : How do you actually start the hike itself?

todd52
03-10-2013, 19:10
SCENARIO: Everything has been carefully planned, gear purchased, packed and then re-packed, mail-drops are set up and now here comes your big day. How do you actually execute the whole thing?. I'm very green at this but I'm picturing something like the following:

Step 1: Drive, have someone drive you or hitch-hike (if you are like me and don't own a car) to the nearest bus station (Trailways, Greyhound, etc) and purchase a ticket to the nearest service road leading to a trailhead. If your forced to hitch-hike, hope your pack is not stolen or worse, you get roughed up for it.

Step 2: Drive (if you own a car), hitch-hike or take a shuttle (if you have money) to the actual trailhead.

Step 3: Stop at some ranger station for mandatory registration, filling out paperwork, get brochures, maps, etc or whatever is required before actually starting your hike (or can you simply just start walking?).

Step 4: Make it a point each day to hike as far as the next shelter so you can stock up on water, cook, set up camp, etc.

Am I close?. What do one do to actually put the whole thing into motion?.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2013, 19:12
one foot in front of the other and enjoy the walk. Dont over think it, thats the point. You will fall into a group going your own pace and thing will just happen.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2013, 19:14
also helps to strap on your pack before you start walking :)

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 19:50
SCENARIO: Everything has been carefully planned, gear purchased, packed and then re-packed, mail-drops are set up and now here comes your big day. How do you actually execute the whole thing?. I'm very green at this but I'm picturing something like the following:

Step 1: Drive, have someone drive you or hitch-hike (if you are like me and don't own a car) to the nearest bus station (Trailways, Greyhound, etc) and purchase a ticket to the nearest service road leading to a trailhead. If your forced to hitch-hike, hope your pack is not stolen or worse, you get roughed up for it.

Step 2: Drive (if you own a car), hitch-hike or take a shuttle (if you have money) to the actual trailhead.

Step 3: Stop at some ranger station for mandatory registration, filling out paperwork, get brochures, maps, etc or whatever is required before actually starting your hike (or can you simply just start walking?).

Step 4: Make it a point each day to hike as far as the next shelter so you can stock up on water, cook, set up camp, etc.

Am I close?. What do one do to actually put the whole thing into motion?.

All of the above. THEN, put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking cross the floor. OH, put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking right out the doooor. PUT ONE foot in front of the other and soon you'll be entering state number 14 and you'll start getting teary of it ending. WAIT, IT"S THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING NEW!

Blissful
03-10-2013, 19:52
Execution is putting on your backpack and hiking day be day...

Sounds like you need a bit more planning on how you are going to arrive at said trailhead though...

Maps (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Maps)should not even be a question.

todd52
03-10-2013, 19:58
So are you required to register and where do you do that?. Do you have to fill out paperwork and do you have to register in advance or make reservations?. Or do you just get to the trailhead and start walking?.

burrito
03-10-2013, 19:58
if you can get to atlanta, then you can get a shuttle to the trailhead, you will need to secure a permit online for your hike thru the smokies, do this right before you leave home.
no registration or permits are necessary to bigin the hike , just show up and walk.
as for how far each day, your body will let you know when to stop, you don't need to hike from shelter to shelter, but most do , except for the smokies and the whites you can tent camp.
the logistics dont have to be all that complicated, no mail drops are necessary, unless you have special dietary needs
hope this is helpfull

todd52
03-10-2013, 20:09
Thanks!. How far is it from the beginning of the south trailhead (Springer MT.) to the beginning of the Great Smokey Mountains?.

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 20:10
So are you required to register and where do you do that?. Do you have to fill out paperwork and do you have to register in advance or make reservations?. Or do you just get to the trailhead and start walking?.

Only in a couple of places like GSMNP. I did register at Amicalola SP though. Once you register there and head through the stone gate YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY PHYSICALLY!

k2basecamp
03-10-2013, 20:10
Okay Todd are you in the witneess protection program or perhaps on probation?

todd52
03-10-2013, 20:19
Now that made me chuckle :) . No, I'm just trying to find out everything that is needed in adbace so there are no hidden surprises down the road (ie; fees, permits, registration, etc). It always pays to be prepared.

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 20:30
Do Re MI for the WHITE MOUNTAINS! OR do a Work For Stay.

illabelle
03-10-2013, 20:31
Thanks!. How far is it from the beginning of the south trailhead (Springer MT.) to the beginning of the Great Smokey Mountains?.

Todd, if you don't have it already, please get the Thru-Hikers' Companion, http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm. It is packed with detailed information.

jeffmeh
03-10-2013, 20:36
Todd, if you don't have it already, please get the Thru-Hikers' Companion, http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm. It is packed with detailed information.

+1. Or AWOL's "The AT Guide." (http://www.theatguide.com/)

Chaco Taco
03-10-2013, 20:42
yes def get a guidebook. Will answer all of the logistical questions.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2013, 20:43
and here is something that will get you started while you wait on your guidebook
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/

garbanz
03-10-2013, 22:31
Well I'll tell you what I did on March 3, 2011. I got dropped off at the Inn in the park and got a room in the early afternoon. And then I walked the steps down to the park office and walked them back up past Amicalola Falls and then the next morning I started the approach trail. There were no hikers in the Inn for breakfast like I had imagined beforehand and all of them were dropped off in a parking lot on a gravel road enroute where they backtracked into Springer like a bunch of hooligans who hadn't put a bit of planning into this journey!

Carry-On
03-10-2013, 23:29
I registered online with the Hiker Hostel for the Thru hiker special. http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

Then I arranged my flight to Atlanta where I followed their directions to take the MARTA (train) to a pre-arranged meeting spot. They picked me up, drove me to the hostel, I got organized with my gear I had shipped to them, ate a Subway sandwich and went to bed. In the morning they fed me an awesome breakfast and shuttled me to the parking lot 1 mile from the summit of Springer, along with all but one of the other hikers. One hiker stayed on the shuttle to go hike the Approach Trail.

Then I started hiking. In 2012 we didn't need the Smoky Mountain Permits that you will need this year.

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/wednesday-april-18-2012-night-before.html

MJW155
03-11-2013, 00:58
I see you are from Atlanta. Like you, I am from a big city. I had a lot of the same concerns. I wanted to hike the entire AT last year but only hiked from Springer to Clingmans Dome. First thing you need to do is drop the big city way of thinking. It does not exist on the trail. I did numerous things on the trail that I would never dream of doing in a city. The people along the trail understand this and will help. Don't feel shame in asking for a ride to town. It's not the same ask asking for a ride in a city. People know you are backpacking. You will meet people along the way that you can travel into towns with and split the cost. Just keep in mind, the people along the trail actually depend on you asking for help because it means extra money in their pocket even if it's only $10 per person or whatever. So don't feel ashamed or think you are a bum because you need help along the way.

todd52
03-11-2013, 01:36
Yes, sometimes I wish I wasn't from the big city. It tends to breed in you fear, suspicion, paranoia and lack of trust and you come to see other people as selfish, exploitive and there's always a mugger hiding in the next bush waiting to take advantage of you.

I have to tell you that I am really touched by how different the people on this forum seem to be compared to some of the people I've encountered in the big city where everything is fast-paced, stressful, nerve-wracking and it's all about "getting yours" and looking out for your own survival. If you folks are this nice on the forum, I'd live to meet some of you on the trail.

From the kind people I've encountered here, it seems that it is a completely different world on the trail where everyone looks out for everyone else. A person runs a little short on food and a stranger stops to give them a granola bar or where someone skin their knee on a rock and the next person stops by to hand them a pack of ointment and bandage. Heck, it could be me doing the helping as well. What goes around comes around :)

I have learned a lot from my experience here so far. Met a lot fo really great people. I've also discovered that the AT isn't nearly as wild and remote as I had once imagined. I used to think it was like hiking the Amazon but
I can see that it is really well-defined with lots of sheters, hostles, water sources, signs and a lot of people (depending on what time of year you go). I've already begun my excersize routine. Feels really good to get those legs moving and shaking. My pack weighs 30 pounds now (without a few food items and water). I took a long walk (partly with the pack on to get the feel of it). Still need to get it down to about 25 pounds.