PDA

View Full Version : The Place

TOW
03-10-2013, 19:57
Is now open for the season! Let the games begin!!!!

The Cleaner
03-10-2013, 20:24
There's several headed your way,met 5 while out checking Jerry's Cabin shelter.Several others had signed the register also.About a foot of snow above 3000ft....

Lone Wolf
05-27-2013, 13:12
just a heads up for any ladies or guys for that matter who plan to stay at The Place. the live-in caretaker forced open a closed door in one of the rooms while a lady was changing just before trail days. he told her changing and privacy in rooms was NOT allowed. one must change in the bathrooms. the police were informed and the caretaker admitted going into the room without permission. the church still chooses to keep him. me and TOW are done trying to help the church with The Place. this caretaker is VERY bad for the church and hostel. only go there as a last resort

HikerMom58
05-27-2013, 14:04
Wow, that's really sad to hear.... I hope something changes for the better sooner rather than later. :(

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 14:08
Wow, that's really sad to hear.... I hope something changes for the better sooner rather than later. :(
without exception, everyone I know that stayed there when I was in Damascus, complained about the caretakers heavy handed approach.its a shame, the place is one of those a.t. institutions that shouldn't go away. my friends are thinking of filing for a hostel license for next year, hopefully that will happen and open up another alternative for hikers.theyre wonderful people.

TOW
05-27-2013, 14:35
I am getting licensed this week....

When someone pays to stay they have a right to privacy.....

BostonBlue
05-27-2013, 15:00

Good to know. Been hearing great things about your place!

wornoutboots
05-27-2013, 15:03
without exception, everyone I know that stayed there when I was in Damascus, complained about the caretakers heavy handed approach.its a shame, the place is one of those a.t. institutions that shouldn't go away. my friends are thinking of filing for a hostel license for next year, hopefully that will happen and open up another alternative for hikers.theyre wonderful people.

I heard the same thing as I hiked from Pearsiburg to Buena Vista. Evryne who stayed there had nothing good to say about the caretaker. I'm not sure if the caretaker has ever hiked long distant? One group of hikers night hiked into the Place & arrived 15 minutes before the Blue Blaze cafe was closing, they placed their pack on the bunks they claimed & then headed off to get hat great meal that they rushed into town for. After dinner they went back to The Place only to find their packs removed from the bunks & placed in the yard?? They were told by the caretaker that they needed to have their bunks made by lights out? Any long distant hiker knows you don't touch anyone else's pack! I also heard several people who had been sitting quietly in the community room & the caretaker walked up turned all the lights off for the night? This caretaker seems a little too military for the Hiking community because all they have done is turn people away from a cherished town hostel.

wornoutboots
05-27-2013, 15:05
this caretaker is VERY bad for the church and hostel. only go there as a last resort
Sorry I added the wrong quote on the above post. Agreed, this Caretaker is VERY bad for The Place

HikerMom58
05-27-2013, 15:49

I agree about the Place and I wish you the best HB! :)

Way to Go TOW!! :)

Drybones
05-27-2013, 20:04

Dont know if we're talking about the same guy, but the gentleman there this spring was a nice guy, easy going, definitely not heavy handed. I was there early on so maybe he changed or someone else took over.

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 20:10
Dont know if we're talking about the same guy, but the gentleman there this spring was a nice guy, easy going, definitely not heavy handed. I was there early on so maybe he changed or someone else took over.
i didnt stay there as i have friends who live in damascus,was there 5/1 to 5/4, guys i were hiking with that did all complained about him being a d***.

atmilkman
05-27-2013, 20:19
i didnt stay there as i have friends who live in damascus,was there 5/1 to 5/4, guys i were hiking with that did all complained about him being a d***.

A duck????

Drybones
05-27-2013, 20:23
A duck????

I was wondering myself...dude maybe?

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 20:25
A duck????
dudi............

Drybones
05-27-2013, 20:27
dudi............

dudu.............

hikerboy57
05-27-2013, 20:30
dudu.............

either one i suppose

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2013, 20:34
A duck????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz3ziC0w7cw&sns=em

Sorry....I couldn't stop myself from posting...

Cookerhiker
05-27-2013, 20:46

Bayou was there early in the Spring; sounds like you're talking about him. He's a very affable and reasonable guy. The d*** is whoever followed him.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2013, 21:05
Bayou was there early in the Spring; sounds like you're talking about him. He's a very affable and reasonable guy. The d*** is whoever followed him.

ummmm....no

Drybones
05-27-2013, 21:32
either one i suppose

Would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet?

roy_hiking
12-08-2013, 15:47
God Bless All