PDA

View Full Version : A gear list?! What?! People never post those

robo-tron
03-10-2013, 20:22
Hi everyone! I have been reading these forums for months, trying to pick up as many tips and info as possible. I'll be leaving for my NOBO hike in about 2 weeks, with my 2 friends. They have the AWOL guide book so thats why its not on the list. I am super excited and have been taking some hikes around town to get myself accumulated with my pack and gear. Thought I would post up my gear list for review and any comments. Thanks everyone :)

The Basics
Osprey Ariel 65
North Face Blue Kazoo Down 20 Deg.
Cocoon 100% Silk Mummy Liner
Thermarest Z-lite Regular Size
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 with footprint
Hiking poles

Packed Clothes
Arcteryx Atom LT Hoodie
Turtle Fur Scarf (very light but warm, since I dont have a balaclava)
Gloves
Smartwool beanie
1 pair darn tough socks
1 pair sleep socks
REI long sleeved shirt for sleeping
Leggings for sleeping
Adidas quick dry running shorts
MH wicked lite tanktop
Coolmax short sleeve
2 pair patagonia undies
Vibram 5 fingers
Marmot minimalist rain jacket

Clothes Worn to start out
REI airflyte running tights
Icebreaker long sleeve
Sports bra
Darn Tough Socks
La Sportiva Eco GTX hiking boots
bandana

First Aid
Small mending/sewing kit (thread, 1 needle, 1 safety pin)
3 different sized bandaids, 2 each
2 small packets of antibiotic ointment
Padded moleskin
Tums
Vitamin I and advil PM
Immodium
Claritin

Kitchen
Jetboil
Extra fuel for jetboil 3.4 oz
S2S titanium long handled spoon
Lighter
Small container of olive oil
Small container of garlic seasoning
Aquamira
Nalgene wide-mouth foldable cantene 32 oz
Water bladder that fits in my pack
food bag

Toiletries
travel size toothbrush
eye drop container of toothpaste
2 oz gold bond powder
1 oz of lotion
2 oz witch hazel face toner
8 cotton pads (for use with toner or first aid)
cotton swabs
1 pair soft earplugs
1/3 of dr bronners soap bar
TP

Misc Stuff
Headlamp
MSR small camp towel
Small notebook (waterproof)
Sharpie
Swiss Army knife
small amount of duct tape and "tenacious tape" (tent/pack repair)
paracord
Small mp3 player (runs off 1 AAA batt)
Canon camera with extra batt and charger
Cell phone and charger
Osprey pack cover

Base weight is about 25 pounds:banana

Matt2012
03-10-2013, 20:39
It seems as though you've done your research! If you forget anything you can pick it up at neels gap on day 3.

I hiked nobo last year. Super jealous of all you 2013ers getting ready to leave. Enjoy it!

Mmrf

Facebook.com/at4mm

TheGreek
03-10-2013, 20:42
Probably don't really need the liner starting in two weeks. I've been up on Springer the last two weekends and the first one it was ~15* and I was ok with just my 20deg bag and my fleece jacket on.

Might want more than one pair of hiking socks. It kinda sucks having to hike in wet socks the next day if they didn't dry overnight. :(

Z-Rest - Make sure you are ok sleeping on that for longer periods. I have one I used for 2-3 day trips, but the thought of spending 4-5 months on it scares me. I switched to a NeoAir.

Earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

Trash or Compacter bag for the inside of your pack to keep clothes/sleeping bag dry?

High five for another Fly Creek UL2 user.

Otherwise, looks good! You'll probably pass my slow self at some point. I'm on the trail as Old Saint Nick.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-10-2013, 20:46
Turtles have fur?

TheGreek
03-10-2013, 20:53
Turtles have fur?

Not anymore. We hunted the rare Galapagos Furry Turtle to extinction so we could have scarves. :(

Bronk
03-10-2013, 22:36
One of the more sensible gear lists I've seen. Bravo! You will be starting with an advantage that many hikers don't figure out completely until they've been on the trail a month or more.

robo-tron
03-10-2013, 23:28
"turtles have fur?" That's exactly what my dad said when I told him the brand name :)

Thanks for the responses guys! I am so excited!

Swordpen
03-11-2013, 02:40
Duct tape.

Swordpen
03-11-2013, 02:43
Duct tape.
Opps my bad, you got it, great job!

I guess then since advil pm is essentially the same thing as ibuprofen, consider carrying Benadryl (sleep, itch, allergic reactions).

Donde
03-11-2013, 04:34
Looks solid overall. My only real suggestion for you is to consider a hat for sun and rain. IMO any old ball hat, or a boonie will do nicely, and be well worth it. Oh also (though you may have this figured out already) Vitamin I and Advil, are the same NSAID drub so don't double down on that it will shred your stomach, you can however take tylenol and an NSAID, if you have to.

k2basecamp
03-11-2013, 06:32
I would replace the padded moleskin with spenco 2nd skin and also add another pair of wool socks. If it rains for a week you might want them.

Rocket Jones
03-11-2013, 06:39
This is very similar to my standard pack list. I figure I could shave a few extra ounces by leaving the panties and bra home, which would make my wife happy too. ;)

Venchka
03-11-2013, 08:07
1 oz of lotion
TP

SPF 50. Way more than 1 ounce at a time. Resupply as needed.

Wet Ones, Baby Wipes, Tucks in place of (or in addition to) TP.

Have fun! Good luck!

Wayne

slbirdnerd
03-11-2013, 12:18
Nice list! Question, more than anything because I have been wondering for my own packing, no spare bra? Have a great hike!

msupple
03-11-2013, 14:31
Frankly, I'm surprised your base weight is that high. Good list.

Cat in the Hat

robo-tron
03-11-2013, 17:36
slbirdnerd: I am trying to decide whether or not to bring the spare sports bra. Its neon green tye dye, so I really want to, but I'm not sure if I need it. what do you think?

msupple: Im surprised my base weight is that high, too. Then I remembered that unfortunately, my pack itself weighs nearly 5 lbs (4 lbs, 11 oz), and that I put 1.5 liters of water in the platypus before I weighed it. So it includes everything but food. Hoping I can manage it until I get used to weight, since I'm a pretty small skinny girl. I've been doing some practice hikes though

Sandy of PA
03-12-2013, 09:24
I carry 1 bra for town, don't wear to hike. Found it helped prevent shoulder chafing, but must have opaque shirt! Bra is black sport type, coupled with shorts becomes bathing suit or laundry outfit. Lucky to be small busted, won't work for some gals.

slbirdnerd
03-12-2013, 12:33
Robo-tron: I think I am leaning toward the spare bra. My hike is just a 9 day section though so I'm not sure it is a big deal. I think for a thru I would definitely want the spare. Sandy of PA makes a good point for town.