PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Daylight saving time.

Freedom Walker
03-10-2013, 23:32
I love it because it gives me more time to get caught up on my outside work, in order to free up nice weekends for hiking. Oddly enough, I was glad to be putting up that riding mower in Sept, but because I suffer from a mild winter depression I cant wait to fire up the mower like I did today. Love that sunshine. Cant wait to be back on the AT in May.

Northern Lights
03-11-2013, 00:15
No I do not, it seems silly up here, we wont' see signs of spring until at least June never mind warmer temps. So I lose an hour of sleep :(

atmilkman
03-11-2013, 00:26
Hey James I like it too. It really didn't effect me all that much since we just got back from FL earlier this week and just left the clocks from the fall and didn't have to reset them. Just stayed on east coast time and now it's BAMA TIME! Just like it was back in January. ROLL TIDE! It's good to be home. My brother told me it was Tide crazy here. Now I know what he was taliking about.

Train Wreck
03-11-2013, 00:45
I like it fine the SECOND day after it goes in effect. The first, not so much.

oops56
03-11-2013, 00:47
we just be better off use a sun dial then we be like in tune with mother earth

Swordpen
03-11-2013, 02:44
I am so glad, lol we dont use DST, would mean another hour of heat here (110+ degrees, ugh)!

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 02:49
Doesn't matter much to me, I'm an Insomniac...when I'm not sleeping. But yeah, I like it...tho it's all relative.

JAK
03-11-2013, 03:05
It's hard to make full use of the sun when the best hours of the day are often wasted in school or in an office or in church. We should do more inside activities after dark, or move those activities outside.

PD230SOI
03-11-2013, 06:22
Changing the clocks is silly.

in my life it serves no actual purpose.

Sly
03-11-2013, 06:41
I like it but think they should wait another month to implement it.

Cookerhiker
03-11-2013, 06:57
Do I like Daylight Savings Time? No.

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2013, 07:08
Yes! Now just leave it this way and stop the absurd changes twice a year!

inspectorgene
03-11-2013, 08:21
Yep, just leave it. Don't fall back...

BirdBrain
03-11-2013, 08:39
I am not a big fan of the clock, let alone any changes someone might want to make to it.

kayak karl
03-11-2013, 08:44
there is still the same number of daylight hours even it the government didn't change the time. i laugh when people are happy they now have an extra hour of daylight in the evening and they are the same ones that stay in bed till the sun warms the day :sun

FlyPaper
03-11-2013, 08:52
there is still the same number of daylight hours even it the government didn't change the time. i laugh when people are happy they now have an extra hour of daylight in the evening and they are the same ones that stay in bed till the sun warms the day :sun

DST automatically moves everyone's day job start time one hour earlier. I stay in bed until it's time to get ready for work, whatever time that is.

I suppose I could get up early and mow half my yard starting at 7:00am, then come home after work and finish mowing at 6:00pm on the theory that we have the same amount of daylight.

Sarcasm the elf
03-11-2013, 09:06
I heard on the radio that the daylight savings scheme costs the country $425 million dollars annually due to lost productivity and increased accidents. I agree that it is total nonsense, it only serves to mess with our internal clocks, plus the idea of altering time itself to better conform to the 9-5 workday is just wrong on so many levels.

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 09:28
I love DST; gives us more daylight when daylight is important to me, the afternoon. I just wish we'd keep it on DST all year around. (Doesn't part of Indiana do this?)

Cookerhiker
03-11-2013, 09:33
I heard on the radio that the daylight savings scheme costs the country $425 million dollars annually due to lost productivity and increased accidents. I agree that it is total nonsense, it only serves to mess with our internal clocks, plus the idea of altering time itself to better conform to the 9-5 workday is just wrong on so many levels.

Totally agree!

Sarcasm the elf
03-11-2013, 09:44
I love DST; gives us more daylight when daylight is important to me, the afternoon. I just wish we'd keep it on DST all year around. (Doesn't part of Indiana do this?)I actually agree, I'm fine with keeping DST permanently, it's the semi-annual time change that needs to go away.

Lyle
03-11-2013, 10:18
Yep, love it. Wish we stayed on it year-round.

Lyle
03-11-2013, 10:23

I call BS on this premise. Changing the clocks one hour, twice a year can and should be assimilated into everyone's lives with virtually no problem. Folks work swing shifts, I work 24 hour shifts in EMS. Our norm is to get varying amounts of sleep each night on a regular basis.

As in much of psychiatry, this theory just gives folks an excuse for not adapting and not taking responsibility for going to bed an hour earlier if they need to.

Sara
03-11-2013, 10:29
I don't like daylight savings time because I stayed at a hotel over the weekend and forgot to change their alarm clock.
I slept in and missed the complimentary free breakfast. I was so looking forward to those waffles. :(

Otherwise, I'm fine with it. :D

swjohnsey
03-11-2013, 10:30
We could change the clocks 6 hours and gain 6 hours of daylight!

max patch
03-11-2013, 10:34
I like to hike til dusk so I like DST and wish it was permanent.

Honestly, I'm surprised at an outdoor site with all negative responses thus far.

Prime Time
03-11-2013, 10:35
Let's really think about this. What difference does it make? The only thing we change are the clocks. Do you think the animals notice? They get up and moving with daylight, they bed down when it gets dark. Are we really all that different other than having electricity to keep us up later at night? I say pick one, DST or Standard time and stick with it.

atraildreamer
03-11-2013, 10:46
Yep, love it. Wish we stayed on it year-round.

They actually did this for a year in the 70's due to the oil embargo.

From: http://www.acurite.com/daylight-saving-time-history-facts

"Oil Conservation

Following the 1973 oil embargo, the U.S. Congress extended Daylight Saving Time to 8 months, rather than the normal six months. During that time, the U.S. Department of Transportation found that observing Daylight Saving Time in March and April saved the equivalent in energy of 10,000 barrels of oil each day - a total of 600,000 barrels in each of those two years.

Likewise, in 1986, Daylight Saving Time moved from the last Sunday in April to the first Sunday in April. No change was made to the ending date of the last Sunday in October. Adding the entire month of April to Daylight Saving Time is estimated to save the U.S. about 300,000 barrels of oil each year.
Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time commenced on the second Sunday in March and ended on the first Sunday in November, thereby saving even more oil."

But this is one unintended result of the changeover:

"Bombing Thwarted

In September 1999, the West Bank was on Daylight Saving Time while Israel had just switched back to standard time. West Bank terrorists prepared time bombs and smuggled them to their Israeli counterparts, who misunderstood the time on the bombs. As the bombs were being planted, they exploded--one hour too early--killing three terrorists instead of the intended victims--two busloads of people."

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 11:13
I like to hike til dusk so I like DST and wish it was permanent.

Honestly, I'm surprised at an outdoor site with all negative responses thus far. This silly subject seems to be debated endlessly, what, twice a year or so??? BIG topic all around this morning in the office.

Anyway, as is eluded to, on the trail arbitrary clock time matters not at all! I'm sure looking forward to being able to ignore the clock, the only exception being for jaunts into town, which i'm planning to avoid as much as possible.

Creek Dancer
03-11-2013, 11:31
I love it in the Spring. I get an extra hour of daylight when I get home from work.

swjohnsey
03-11-2013, 11:33
This is one thing that Benjamin Franklin did not get right.

Gray Blazer
03-11-2013, 11:58
They are calling it time travel around here. I just wish they (whoever they are) would just keep with one or the other. It's just another thing to distract us.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2013, 12:01
i'm pretty damn apathetic about it. it's just daylight

Sarcasm the elf
03-11-2013, 12:01
I call BS on this premise. Changing the clocks one hour, twice a year can and should be assimilated into everyone's lives with virtually no problem. Folks work swing shifts, I work 24 hour shifts in EMS. Our norm is to get varying amounts of sleep each night on a regular basis.As in much of psychiatry, this theory just gives folks an excuse for not adapting and not taking responsibility for going to bed an hour earlier if they need to.What exactly are you calling BS on? If you don't believe the figures I quoted then simply google "economic cost of daylight savings time," you will find plenty of research backing up my figures. Changing clocks twice a year is pointless, wastes hundreds of millions of dollars annually and needlessly inconveniences the entire population based on a completely arbitrary decision. The fact that you personally don't find it to be a problem has no relevance to my argument that when looked at as a whole the daylight savings scheme is idiotic.

slbirdnerd
03-11-2013, 12:03
+1 for leave it the way it is right now.

Sarcasm the elf
03-11-2013, 12:05
This silly subject seems to be debated endlessly, what, twice a year or so??? BIG topic all around this morning in the office.I also use trekking poles and hike with a dog. We'll get around to arguing about that next ;-)

tiptoe
03-11-2013, 12:30
Now that I'm retired I don't care so much :rolleyes: but it does seem awfully early to be setting back the clocks.

MDSection12
03-11-2013, 12:34

What's there to laugh at? I have an extra hour of daylight in the evening. I get out of work at 4:30 PM, and up until yesterday the sun was going down at 6 PM... Now the sun goes down at 7 PM. Seems like an extra hour of daylight in the evening to me. :p

That said, I would prefer they just leave it this way year round.

Feral Bill
03-11-2013, 12:35
Show me actual evidence that DST saves significant energy and I'll change my mind. Until then I'll regard it as silly at best.

MDSection12
03-11-2013, 12:37
In reference to hiking, it doesn't matter at all. My schedule is dictated by the sun when I hike, not the clock.

Cookerhiker
03-11-2013, 12:45
I also use trekking poles and hike with a dog. We'll get around to arguing about that next ;-)

But are you packin'?;)

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 13:11
I love DST. It allows HS baseball to get in a whole game before dark. Without it, if you have no lights, you can't get 7 innings. And even if a school had lights DST saves them money by not having to use them as much. Just one example.

Golfers can now get in a round too.

Sarcasm the elf
03-11-2013, 13:20
But are you packin'?;)Careful now, there are a few folks here that could probably manage to hijack this into a gun thread ;-)

Creek Dancer
03-11-2013, 13:23
What's there to laugh at? I have an extra hour of daylight in the evening. I get out of work at 4:30 PM, and up until yesterday the sun was going down at 6 PM... Now the sun goes down at 7 PM. Seems like an extra hour of daylight in the evening to me. :p

That said, I would prefer they just leave it this way year round.

Exactly! For someone who works a regular 9 -5 job, having more daylight when you get home from work makes a difference.

Feral Bill
03-11-2013, 13:26
Exactly! For someone who works a regular 9 -5 job, having more daylight when you get home from work makes a difference. Getting up to go to work in the middle of the night also makes a world of difference.:(

max patch
03-11-2013, 13:27
In reference to hiking, it doesn't matter at all. My schedule is dictated by the sun when I hike, not the clock.

If you doing a thru you are absolutely correct.

However, for those of us currently between thrus, that hour often times means spending that time outside hiking/biking/golfing/running instead of being inside on WB.

VT-Mike
03-11-2013, 13:28
Time is artificial. Changing the hour on a clock does not change too much else. Tired then sleep, hunger eat, awake do something. Listen to the body, oh its 1:28 pm I'm going for a hike!!

Creek Dancer
03-11-2013, 13:40
Getting up to go to work in the middle of the night also makes a world of difference.:(

Well...that's true.:) When I lived in Seattle, I could never get used to the short winter days when the sun went down at 4:00 pm. But oh how I loved the looooong summer days.

Lyle
03-11-2013, 14:15
Time is artificial. Changing the hour on a clock does not change too much else. Tired then sleep, hunger eat, awake do something. Listen to the body, oh its 1:28 pm I'm going for a hike!!

Gee, I think that will work with my boss. Why didn't I think of that before.

BobTheBuilder
03-11-2013, 14:17
Here is the correct answer - in New Orleans, the lastest it stays light in mid-summer (with the current time change) is about 8:30. I would like it to stay light until about 9:30, so the time should change by two hours instead of one. Like most people, I don't do a lot of outside stuff in the mornings before work except walk the dog, so I would like the maximum daylight available to me after work. However, it needs to get dark before 10 so I can go to sleep. See - problem solved!

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 14:24
I think we should go to the 25-hr day. Anyone for slowing the earth rotation just a bit?

Northern Lights
03-11-2013, 14:41
Exactly! For someone who works a regular 9 -5 job, having more daylight when you get home from work makes a difference.

Not to me, 24 hours of sunlight you don't know if it's day or night

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 15:17
I think we should go to the 25-hr day. Anyone for slowing the earth rotation just a bit? You'll get your wish, the earth rotation IS indeed slowing down, it has to because of tidal forces from the moon. The bad news (for you) is that you'll have to wait about 140 million years to get your extra hour of daylight. Sorry!

daddytwosticks
03-11-2013, 15:25
I think we should go to the 25-hr day. Anyone for slowing the earth rotation just a bit? I'm still waiting for metric time to kick in...:)

Creek Dancer
03-11-2013, 15:32
Not to me, 24 hours of sunlight you don't know if it's day or night

I suppose too much of a good thing is not a good thing. :)

gizzy bear
03-11-2013, 15:42
well i like the time change...i enjoy the longer daylight hours...and i "righted" all the "wrong" the change could do to me, by sleeping til noon yesterday.... viola!! i am fine!! the ONLY thing that is "bad" about the change IMO is the fact that i love being outside until the sun goes down, therefore, my "inside" stuff doesn't get done :P

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 15:44
Yesterday I really did lose an hour. I had to hike faster to get to the buffet before it closed. I made it so all is well.

gizzy bear
03-11-2013, 15:50
Yesterday I really did lose an hour. I had to hike faster to get to the buffet before it closed. I made it so all is well.

i LOVE food!! i believe i could hike 47 mph if someone told me there was a taco bar and a margarita waiting for me at the end of everyday!! ;)

FarmerChef
03-11-2013, 16:01
I hate changing the clocks as well. In addition to my technology day job I also farm and this actually complicates my life more than helps it. Now, when my kids get up (who are responsible for morning chores) it is once gain dark at the time they need to go out and do feeding and inspection. Evening close up and inspection matters not whether the sun goes down at 6 or 7 according to the clock. It just plain goes down :) I say keep it set at one thing and leave it there.

xokie
03-11-2013, 16:16
The whole thing seems kind of silly to me, considering the easy access to electric light. Except when hiking or just hanging in the woods and then it matters not.

I hate having to figure out how to change the time on the CD player I took out of my daughter's wrecked Saturn and put in my twenty year old Ranger twice a year. There is always the option of pulling to a stop and figuring it out while not dealing with New England traffic and then remembering (or writing down) how it is done but that is not near as exciting for all the other drivers out their on the Mass Pike trying to get to work while I am weaving all over the road playing with my clock.

FatHead64
03-11-2013, 16:18
Don't need it. I grew up in Indiana and we didn't do DST, at least while I lived there. Now they caved to peer pressure. Anyway, it was just fine. And the closer to the equator you get, the less need there is for it, anyway. And I work in an industry with lots of regulatory record-keeping. Changing the clocks is a REALLY big deal. It costs lots of money and nobody I hear ever likes it. As to which time "format" you keep - it probably depends on which end of the time zone you're on anyway. My 2 cents, not that anyway care (or should) anyway.

Alligator
03-11-2013, 16:34
I think we should go to the 25-hr day. Anyone for slowing the earth rotation just a bit?

On three, everybody run east 1...2...

chief
03-11-2013, 16:35
Time changes - I like em - plus I can make fun of the cry babies at least twice a year.

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 16:43
On three, everybody run east 1...2... Maybe west?

Drybones
03-11-2013, 17:01
I like it fine the SECOND day after it goes in effect. The first, not so much.

Same here, I do take advantage of the that first day to have something to complain about.

Drybones
03-11-2013, 17:05

That's only happened once, stopped for a day.

max patch
03-11-2013, 18:36
Changing the clocks is a REALLY big deal.

Except for my wristwatch and the car, all my clocks change time by themselves.

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 18:44
I was camped next to a Canadian at the Cheese Factory on Sunday morning. When I mentioned the time change he said something about us "Yanks moving DST to early March without consulting them".

Guess we did.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2013, 18:58
It was important 200 years ago - ask Ben Franklin... it was a good idea of the time... so apparently it did not work out for Canada...

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 19:03
I was camped next to a Canadian at the Cheese Factory on Sunday morning. When I mentioned the time change he said something about us "Yanks moving DST to early March without consulting them".

Guess we did.
damn yankees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNZd7F8Y-Ys

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 19:31
I told the Canuck to be careful with the Y-word down here.

FatHead64
03-11-2013, 21:52
Changing the clocks is a REALLY big deal.

Except for my wristwatch and the car, all my clocks change time by themselves.

That's possible, but we have to disable that feature. The FDA seems to want each time to be unique during a batch. Something about wanting to know when something actually happened.

FatHead64
03-11-2013, 21:57
So we have to wait until affected systems are down and then change the clocks. Not so easily done.

Alligator
03-11-2013, 21:59
Maybe west?We could try both.

swjohnsey
03-11-2013, 22:06
What would happen if everyone ran north or south?

tdoczi
03-11-2013, 22:16
anyone in favor of permanent DST obviously never leaves the house before 8:00am in december or january.

FatHead64
03-11-2013, 22:20
What would happen if everyone ran north or south?

Magnetic pole flip, silly.