PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrators?

Swordpen
03-11-2013, 02:13
Hi,

I searched this forum & its been a couple years since his topic was discussed. I am wondering:

1. What food dehydrators are you using

2. What features to look for (ie: square shape, round shape, dishwasher safe, cleanup)

3. Is a timer necessary

4. How many watts are necessary/ best

5. Are you using a special tool to cut up things very thin before dehydrating (ie: a Japanese Mandolin slicer type device)

6. Are you using any accessories (ie: something for fruit rollups etc).

Thanks!

Flachenmann
03-11-2013, 05:14
I got a 9-tray Excalibur brand dehydrator a couple years ago and it's the bee's knee's. I think most people on this forum would swear by it also. It's a little pricey though (I got mine as a gift).

As far as features that I would look for in any dehydrator is that the heating element/fan is in the backside of the machine, not on the top or the bottom, so that heat is distributed equally among the trays. That way you wont have some trays with food that is dry and some trays with food that's still wet.

I don't think a timer is necessary, at least not as necessary as a temperature control.

I don't use any special tools to cut up the food. Just a normal kitchen knife.

I do use some non-stick liners that came with my dehydrator when ever I make fruit rolls or when I dehydrate soups or sauces. I don't think they're necessary though. You could get by with some cornstarch and waxpaper.

PD230SOI
03-11-2013, 06:12
Excalibur
9 tray
Its wonderful. I dry anything i can, my sons think my sweet potato and apple fruit leather is a reward, instead of a vehicle to get vegtables in them....

I do use whatever tool makes life simpler; food proc, mandolin, knife.....

Love it, but sometimes I have to pack it away just to use the space for something else.

Rocket Jones
03-11-2013, 06:33
I use a Nesco 5-tray dehydrator. It's round, inexpensive, and does the job - no extras like a timer or heat settings, just on or off. The heat/fan unit sits in the middle of the circle, so we get nice even drying. We have bought extra trays because they get brittle over time. We've been using this one for almost 10 years now.

For wet items, I'll cut a circle of parchment paper to fit.

Maddog
03-11-2013, 09:27
I use a Nesco 5-tray dehydrator. It's round, inexpensive, and does the job - no extras like a timer or heat settings, just on or off. The heat/fan unit sits in the middle of the circle, so we get nice even drying. We have bought extra trays because they get brittle over time. We've been using this one for almost 10 years now.

+1 I have this as well, and it gets the job done! I think I paid about $30 for it at Kmart. I can't complain about it! Maddog:D

atraildreamer
03-11-2013, 10:53
I use the round, 5-tray Nesco, acquired at a yard sale. I bought an inexpensive timer at Harbor Freight Tools and use it to shut down the dehydrator when the batch is done.

FarmerChef
03-11-2013, 11:33
I use an older version of the Nesco that I got off craigslist. Paid $30 for 8 trays, tray liners and 2 fruit rollup trays. A steal in modern terms. Later, for Christmas, I was given a large dehydrator similar to the Excalibur. Though I do use it when I'm going full out, the little Nesco probably does 90% of the heavy lifting. It has no other controls then a temperature selector dial. On/Off is you plugging it in.

tiptoe
03-11-2013, 12:35
Excalibur, 5 large square trays. It has temperature settings and a fan, and more room than you'll probably ever require. I also have Teflon sheets for dehydrating gloppy mixes. No need for a timer. You basically dehydrate things until they are dry. It's not like baking a souffle. It cost me roughly $200 a few years ago, and I'm glad I bought it.

Farr Away
03-11-2013, 21:26
Nesco FD-80 square shape. Got some leather trays for it too - although they're not necessary, they are convenient. Also got a couple of extra trays, so I can do a lot of food at once.

Now all I need is more time to go hiking!

-FA

Alligator
03-11-2013, 22:12
Hi,

I searched this forum & its been a couple years since his topic was discussed. I am wondering:

1. What food dehydrators are you using

2. What features to look for (ie: square shape, round shape, dishwasher safe, cleanup)

3. Is a timer necessary

4. How many watts are necessary/ best

5. Are you using a special tool to cut up things very thin before dehydrating (ie: a Japanese Mandolin slicer type device)

6. Are you using any accessories (ie: something for fruit rollups etc).

Thanks!1. Nesco round 5 tray, heats from the bottom.
2. Adjustable temperature. Dishwasher safe would be nice.
3. I have a separate timer for mine. It allows me to go to bed when the food is not dry yet. If you start early, this is less of a problem.
4. Probably depends on how much food you want to do at once. Not sure.
5. Knife and sometimes the food processor. I'd like to get a restaurant dicer like the one they use to make french fries.
6. There's a finer round screen that came with my dehydrator, I wouldn't mind having a full set of five for smaller pieces of food.

I rotate the trays every 30-60 minutes if I am being attentive to achieve more even drying between trays. I would like to eventually purchase an Excalibur 9 tray, but I would need a freezer first I think.

leaftye
03-11-2013, 22:41

For wet items, I'll cut a circle of parchment paper to fit.

I think mine is the same, even the same age, except it has a heat setting, but does not have an on/off switch. If mine came with the fruit roll-up sheets, I lost them a long time ago. I'm thinking about buying a new set and the micro screen too. My trays are still holding up well.

tiptoe
03-13-2013, 14:15
Here's a link to an overview of dehydrator types. Not specific to backpacking, but possibly useful info to the OP.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2003-06-01/Choosing-a-Food-Dehydrator.aspx

Navy Salad
03-14-2013, 20:15
I have the newer Nesco with the heating unit sits on the top. At first I was skeptical about the location since, as everyone knows, heat rises. However, the force of the fan greatly outweighs the force of gravity and it works great. Also, putting the heating unit and fan on top keeps it from getting clogged with little scraps of food or liquid that sometimes manage to spill.

Also, for me, having an adjustable thermostat is a must-have.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2013, 20:36
+1 on Alligator, cant add right now...

Deadeye
03-14-2013, 21:27
I've got an old Ronco dehydrator. Works fine, nothing fancy. I use a tray for fruit leather, but Saran Wrap will do just as well. A mandolin slicer is helpful to get a consistent product, but by no means necessary.