PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Monkeys are coming..........

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2013, 07:09
How long before they adapt and migrate north? :eek:

http://now.msn.com/huge-florida-mosquitoes-coming-this-summer

Nutbrown
03-11-2013, 07:19
The fire ants are there, not long before the skeeters are.

I really never understood why the north doesn't have them...I've heard that the skeeters in Alaska put the Fla ones to shame.

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2013, 07:27
Dealt with fire ant mounds when we lived in South Carolina.....haven't found 'em yet in Maryland but I suppose they could be here somewhere. I have a friend who's running off to Florida to escape the stink bugs here...I believe I'll just put with the stink bugs......

Nutbrown
03-11-2013, 09:29
Wait till they hit love bug season. They'll miss the stink bugs.

gizzy bear
03-11-2013, 15:45
Dealt with fire ant mounds when we lived in South Carolina.....haven't found 'em yet in Maryland but I suppose they could be here somewhere. I have a friend who's running off to Florida to escape the stink bugs here...I believe I'll just put with the stink bugs......

stink bugs beat sink holes, anyday ;)

FarmerChef
03-11-2013, 15:50
That article seemed to have a picture of a "normal" size mosquito. Any pictures of the real deal? I heard they're as big as cars...well, at least that's what they said on the internet. Must be true...:rolleyes:

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2013, 16:24
That article seemed to have a picture of a "normal" size mosquito. Any pictures of the real deal? I heard they're as big as cars...well, at least that's what they said on the internet. Must be true...:rolleyes:

There are several articles on-line, some with photos, about them. Supposed to be the size of quarters. So roughly, big harmless crane flies are about the same size as these mosquitoes. Imagine a swarm of them...

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 16:31
Yikes! :eek: probing proboscis problems, there goes the neighborhood.....

WingedMonkey
03-11-2013, 19:31
Must be a slow snow news day up north.

:sun
The MSN.Com site lists it's source as Examiner.com, and Examiner list their source as inquisitr.com, and they link to a University of Florida news source.

http://news.ufl.edu/2013/03/04/big-skeeter/

There are a few good things one can say about this mosquito: It isn’t considered a significant vector of mosquito-borne illness affecting people or animals. And human activity doesn’t seem to boost its populations.