PDA

View Full Version : standing indian campground hitchhiking

Maryelle
06-20-2005, 13:01
How likely are you to be able to hitch a ride from the road into Standing Indian Campground where the trail crosses Rock Gap Road? Would this be an easier hitch than the highway into Franklin?

Maryelle

Lone Wolf
06-20-2005, 13:05
Very little traffic on that road. Much easier hitch on 64 going into Franklin.

yellowtree
06-20-2005, 17:45
How likely are you to be able to hitch a ride from the road into Standing Indian Campground where the trail crosses Rock Gap Road? Would this be an easier hitch than the highway into Franklin?
Maryelle
I'm trying to figure out exactly where you are coming from. Are you trying to get into or out of Franklin, or to the trail, or just exactly where are you?

I was just at Albert Mtn/Picken's Nose/Mooney Falls for a week. They are all accessed through Standing Indian Campground. These are the directions to Standing Indian Campground from Franklin, which I took when arriving from Pennsylvania. June 5-10
In Franklin, NC, at the intersection of of US Rts. 23/441/64, take US Rt. 64 west for 12 miles to Wallace Gap/Standing Indian campground sign (Old Murphy Rd. Old 64). Turn left onto Old Murphy Rd. and go 1.9 miles to Standing Indian campground sign (Forest Rt. 67).

Reverse your path to get into Franklin.

Hope this helps

Bolivershagnasty
06-20-2005, 18:55
Maryelle, I think "rock gap road" is old 64 which is the rd to Standing Indian campground. It's only about a 10 min walk from Rock gap shelter to the campground. If your going to Franklin hike on north over winding stairs to hwy 64. Hitch 64 (down hill) to franklin but you better just hitch there where the trail hits the road because its a 5 mile or better, very steep hill down toward Franklin and no one will stop going down that hill.

digger51
06-20-2005, 23:21
If you are going into Franklin you can call the Haven Motel and they will pick you up at Rock Gap, Wallace Gap or Winding Stairs Gap. The number is 828-524-4403. Many people have cell phones that you might be able to borrow to call.

tiamalle
06-20-2005, 23:36
Maryelle,
I just got back from Mt Kahtadin on vacation today,But if you still need a ride.There is a pay phone at the campground store.Call me,we are always glad to help a hiker.Ron Haven
at Haven's Budget Inn 828-524-4403

yellowtree
06-21-2005, 12:50
[QUOTE= its a 5 mile or better, [/QUOTE]
I believe it's 12 miles

Frosty
06-21-2005, 13:16
QUOTE= its a 5 mile or better

I believe it's 12 milesI think he meant it's a five mile stretch of road where no one will stop to pick you up because of steepness of road.

Bolivershagnasty
06-21-2005, 22:25
Yea that hill is about 5 miles down hill before it levels off and then goe's again. A def break burner and curvy. Theres two big rig run off ramps on that little streach alone. But it is 12 miles from the turn off to town.

yellowtree
06-22-2005, 22:41
break burner and curvy
I'm Hip to your jive
It is a BRAKE burner, my whole front end was wobbling down those hills.

Maryelle, good luck!:D