PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Big Agnes sleep system

Lyte-w8-hyker
03-11-2013, 11:47
Well since getting married I've been trying to double my gear so my wife can join me on trips. We mainly do weekend trips in the winter months in Arkansas and a couple trips to the AT in the summer or fall. I have two main go to bags right now, both are montbell down huggers #1 AND #3. I love them both. The number 1 will keep me warm no matter what. But they are expensive and I can't afford another right now.

I want to get my wife into a comfortable bag/pad set up. She is a cold sleeper so I'm looking for ~15deg bags for all around use. I have stumbled upon some good deals on the Big Agnes bags. I like the Dri Down idea. I am curious about how the bags and pad intergration works. Seems kind of like a quilt to me but instead of being open on the bottom there is the pad sleeve. How is the comfort on these setups. How warm are they compared to the manufacturer rating becuase I have found those vary quite a bit.

jbwood5
03-11-2013, 12:22
The comfort is great IMHO. You are less likely to slide and less likely to kick the back of the tent. When you are in the bag you are always on the pad. :)The downside is inflating the pad and taking it apart each morning. It is not too bad for 1 person in a 2 person tent, but if you are both in there when it's raining and trying to break down, it might be annoying.

The other good thing is that the bag will pack smaller with a missing bottom. I don't have a lot of experience with the warmth rating, but I'll bet it depends on the thickness of the pad.

Lyte-w8-hyker
03-11-2013, 12:40
That's what I was thinking. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on the bag and pad combo. If we don't like it I can just return or sell it. Thanks!

VT-Mike
03-11-2013, 13:21
I have a BA Mica 20* and Pitchpine 45* with an Aircore pad. I find it very comfortable and like being able to adjust the amount of air in the pad. Mating the bag to the pad is easy with pad inflated halfway and then inflating to desired amount. As for temp rating, I think BA might over estimate by about 5*. I carry a silk liner and it swings the 5* difference the other way.

Yukon
03-11-2013, 13:23
I normally hammock camp, but when I backpack with my fiancee' we share a tent and both use the Big Agnes systems. We both like them a lot. She REALLY likes hers. I think you'll be happy with it :)

Del Q
03-11-2013, 22:43
Great bag and setup but............I move around a lot at night and woke up at times with the pad on top of me or to the side. Went to a Mont Bell with a Neo Air pad, much happier. Also warmer - less cold spots.

rockymountainhigh
03-31-2013, 02:28
I've had mixed results. Great execution, just a bit cold