PDA

View Full Version : stove for backpacking/hurricane use

TickPicker
06-20-2005, 13:31
As many of you know.........I'm from the land of the dimpled chad or hurricane alley here in south florida. I'm looking for a canister stove that can double in either use, backpacking or hurricane use. By hurricane use I mean, can do more than just boil water. Like heat up a small pot of dinty moore beef stew............ Oh, I'm trying to stay away from an alchohol stove for the moment........ I already have one of those.

TickPicker
The land of the dimpled chad.......:eek:

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-20-2005, 15:01
I like my snow-peak giga... course buying the ti version was preobably overkill (it was bought with xmas money;) ). MSR's Pocket Rocket always gets good reviews as well (and the one I got my dad seems to be bomber)... point is, get a brand-name one and I doubt you'll go wrong...

hiker33
06-20-2005, 15:59
I highly recommend the MSR Super Fly. It's 1.5 oz. heavier than the Pocket Rocket but for the slight extra weight you get a diffused burner head with integrated "X" windscreen/pot support. It's better for simmering/warming foods as the flame is less concentrated, and for another 20 bucks you can get one with a pezzo lighter. Unlike the Pocket Rocket the 'Fly has a "multi-mount" connector that works with Camping Gaz, Primus, or Epi fuel cartridges as well as the MSR type.

I've had mine for about 5 years with no trouble at all. Stays lit even in a strong wind and I've yet to tip a pot over while cooking, unlike my friends with Pocket Rockets.:D

As many of you know.........I'm from the land of the dimpled chad or hurricane alley here in south florida. I'm looking for a canister stove that can double in either use, backpacking or hurricane use. By hurricane use I mean, can do more than just boil water. Like heat up a small pot of dinty moore beef stew............ Oh, I'm trying to stay away from an alchohol stove for the moment........ I already have one of those.

TickPicker
The land of the dimpled chad.......:eek:

NICKTHEGREEK
06-20-2005, 16:33
We lost power here in Northern Va last year for 2 1/2 days after the hurricane. We had light from both a Gaz Lantern (best light) and a Primus, and had some biscuits and sweet rolls from the outback oven over a snowpeak giga power BF. The BF has a nice low profile, wide pot supports and a remote canister. be aware that using such lanterns and stoves in closed spaces is a no-no. Make sure you have good ventilation. I keep a pretty robust supply of both large Gaz (450 gram) and Primus canisters along with my normal supply of 220's and 110s.

Incidentally Texsport makes a nice battery powered fan/ neon light combo that runs of 6 D cells. naturally it's way too heavy for bacpacking, but will move some air for about 36 hrs on low, or provide light for about 12 hrs.

jeepcj258
06-20-2005, 17:04
I am pretty partial to the pocket rocket!

Dances with Mice
06-20-2005, 18:32
We must live on the weakest link of the electrical grid. We lose power pretty often.

During the storm, any backpacking stove will get you through. Pay attention to ventilation, of course.

After the storm, nothing beats a cast iron dutch oven. Use that big, expensive pot roast that's thawing in your freezer and have your neighbors come over to share the feast. Need directions and recipes? Here's an on-line booklet written by an award-winning competition dutch oven chef (yep, a genuine "Cast Iron Chef") written for beginning cooks with little or no dutch oven experience. I happen to know the author well...

http://www.troop100.us/pdf/dutch_oven_recipes.pdf

Clean out the fridge and freezer and eat great - power crews don't seem to mind stopping by for baked chicken, meaty lasagna, roast turkey, or fresh baked biscuits.

We always keep a bag or two of emergency charcoal in the basement, after that runs out there's usually lots of downed wood that needs utilizing.

justusryans
06-20-2005, 18:54
i have a Zip stove that works pretty well for cooking full meals. we got creamed in Isabel and lost power for 10 days, i just used my propane grill. Not something you want to take hiking but is wonderful when hurricane season hits.

Bolivershagnasty
06-20-2005, 19:07
Gotta go for the snow peak gigga. Save the 10 bucks or so on one with the clicker lighter because it doesn't work well. Just use your lighter you already have in your pocker anyway. I love mine and have no complaints

fiddlehead
06-20-2005, 23:09
what fuel is available where you live? when in France, the Bluet stoves are the ones to carry because every little mom ane pop store usually has the fuel, when in some stores, they only seem to have the larger screw on canisters that fit most stoves, but i don't buy or carry the big sizes unless i really have to. If your local store only carries the "hank roberts" type, then that's what i'd buy. If you are doing a long distance trip and will be buying everywhere, the giga, or pocket rocket usually has fuels available. (the propane/butane mixture fuels are much better at cold weather cooking/heating) Himalayan mountaneers generally use propane/butane fuels even at altitudes above 20,000'. (sometimes you must warm them up with your body heat or whatever, to get them to work faster)
I don't know if the hikers are still shipping (illegally, but i always did it) the proplane in the mail anymore with all the security. I did it as recently as 2002 but am wondering if it's still being done????