PDA

View Full Version : Trading stocks on trail...

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 15:42
I'm just curious if there are people out there trading while on the trail? Obviously day trading is out of the question but swing trading is certainly possible with the right tools. With features of TD (and other reputable brokers) including the mobile trading platform and access to emails for up-to-date information I don't see why this couldn't be possible. For someone with a successful trading background it certainly should not be out of the question to not only pay for your hike while in progress, but to make money at it too. So, with iphones, ipads, email, a minimum of weekly access to a computer, has anyone attempted this?

I want to hear your story..... succeeded or not.

Lyle
03-11-2013, 16:10
If this is what you are worrying about while hiking, might as well stay home.

flemdawg1
03-11-2013, 16:14
I would just put the $ in a mutual fund or ETF, things could happen and you'd never know it out there.

Feral Bill
03-11-2013, 16:16
That is the most disgusting idea I've ever seen on this site.

yellowsirocco
03-11-2013, 16:20
I think it is a great idea. If you can make money while you hike then you have got the right formula. Folks like Feral Bill and Lyle just need to get off their high horses.

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 16:59
That is the most disgusting idea I've ever seen on this site.

Disgusting ??? Quite a strong word (and) opinion with nothing supporting it. Do you pay your bills when you are on the trail? Is THAT disgusting? What makes this any different?

Sly
03-11-2013, 16:59
Yeah, because we all know day trading is a sure thing.

Excuse # 357 not to make it out of Georgia.

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:01

It has NOTHING to do with 'worrying'. It's an alternative *potential* income while on the trail so one wouldn't have to come home to 6 months of MISSING income...

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:03
Yeah, because we all know day trading is a sure thing.

-It absolutely is not. About as many people fail at short term trading as people who fail at thru-hiking, if not more. Never said it was. Not even close.

Excuse # 357 not to make it out of Georgia.

-Not sure where you got this one from. I asked a simple question as to if anyone has done this.

Drybones
03-11-2013, 17:06

Agree.........

Drybones
03-11-2013, 17:08
I think it is a great idea. If you can make money while you hike then you have got the right formula. Folks like Feral Bill and Lyle just need to get off their high horses.

What's a high horse?

Lone Wolf
03-11-2013, 17:10
What's a high horse?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/get-off-your-high-horse.html

max patch
03-11-2013, 17:14
You don't need to day trade to make money in the market. Day trading, or week trading in the context of a thru, is really no more than legalized gambling. You'll understand this as you get older. Put your money in 3 mutual funds; large cap, small cap, and foreign. Check your balances when your thru is complete.

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:22
as its difficult to time the market at all with access to up to the minute information, its not likely to be a good strategy for the short term. in additon current stock prices are artificially inflated and are entering a bubble phase.there is nothing out there to justify record highs, and too much money coming in because it aint going into real estate, banks also paying next to nothing on cds. id be short the market right now, and long precious metals.but short term trading when you cant stay on top of it every day is not a good bet.and if you're going to obsess about what those stocks are doing while you're out there.like he said, you may as well stay home.the one on thier high horses feel one of the biggest benefits of long distance hiking is the ability to disconnect. its extremely liberating. it in fact may make you a better investor as you come of the trail with a fresh set of eyes to reevaluate market conditions.on trail too much risk, not enough reward, just not worth the hassle

JHG008
03-11-2013, 17:24
Hike your on hike. Why be negative to someone who is asking for advice?

I think it is a great idea to manage your investments while on the trail because once you are finished you the trail you will not be clueless.

Ignore the people who don't provide wisdom. I would use my phone and have someone that you trust back home monitoring it for you and if not help manage (you never know what might happen).

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:27

I think it is a great idea to manage your investments while on the trail because once you are finished you the trail you will not be clueless.

Ignore the people who don't provide wisdom. I would use my phone and have someone that you trust back home monitoring it for you and if not help manage (you never know what might happen).
at your age not "managing your investments" for 6 months will have zero impact on your long term wealth.just buy a couple of good quality mutual funds with dollar cost averaging from your checking account.

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:27
No offense but I'm not looking for financial advice. I work in the finance industry and have a semi-successful track record under my belt. I SWING TRADE (huge difference from DAY trading). My positions usually range from 3 days to 2-3 months (obviously every trade is different and has different targets).

I was innocently asking if anyone has successfully traded stock while on the trail. For someone to go as far as saying its 'disgusting' is absurd. I think it's disgusting that some of you feel that opinionated.

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:30
as its difficult to time the market at all with access to up to the minute information, its not likely to be a good strategy for the short term. in additon current stock prices are artificially inflated and are entering a bubble phase.there is nothing out there to justify record highs, and too much money coming in because it aint going into real estate, banks also paying next to nothing on cds. id be short the market right now, and long precious metals.but short term trading when you cant stay on top of it every day is not a good bet.and if you're going to obsess about what those stocks are doing while you're out there.like he said, you may as well stay home.the one on thier high horses feel one of the biggest benefits of long distance hiking is the ability to disconnect. its extremely liberating. it in fact may make you a better investor as you come of the trail with a fresh set of eyes to reevaluate market conditions.on trail too much risk, not enough reward, just not worth the hassle

I certainly agree with current market conditions. I am also long precious metals (paper stock and physical). I am also long SDOW and other am ready to pull the trigger on a few leveraged VIX plays when a market correction DOES occur.

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:32

at your age not "managing your investments" for 6 months will have zero impact on your long term wealth.just buy a couple of good quality mutual funds with dollar cost averaging from your checking account.

It may not. However, approximately 10% of my income comes from trading. My entire intention behind the thread was this... If I were to leave my 9-5, what are the chances that I could maintain that 10% income while on the trail. Obviously, I wouldn't have full access to the necessary tools to trade as I do now. I also wouldn't WWANT to. I have no intentions on being glued to a phone while on the trail.

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:35
I certainly agree with current market conditions. I am also long precious metals (paper stock and physical). I am also long SDOW and other am ready to pull the trigger on a few leveraged VIX plays when a market correction DOES occur.
i just think that the time you would need to spend monitoring your positions wouldnt be worth the possible reward, take away from your trail experience, and in the short term would have very little impact either way on your long term goals.
but if its just for sh**s and giggles, hey what the heck

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:38
i just think that the time you would need to spend monitoring your positions wouldnt be worth the possible reward, take away from your trail experience, and in the short term would have very little impact either way on your long term goals.
i think i expressed this poorly. let me put it another way. there are only two factors that are important in investing, knowing when to get in, and knowing when to get out. do you think this is possible on the trail?

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:39
Thank you for your response hikerboy... I appreciate it.

flemdawg1
03-11-2013, 17:40
I'm just curious if there are people out there trading while on the trail? Obviously day trading is out of the question but swing trading is certainly possible with the right tools. With features of TD (and other reputable brokers) including the mobile trading platform and access to emails for up-to-date information I don't see why this couldn't be possible. For someone with a successful trading background it certainly should not be out of the question to not only pay for your hike while in progress, but to make money at it too. So, with iphones, ipads, email, a minimum of weekly access to a computer, has anyone attempted this?

I would just put the $ in a mutual fund or ETF, things could happen and you'd never know it out there.

No offense but I'm not looking for financial advice. I work in the finance industry and have a semi-successful track record under my belt. I SWING TRADE (huge difference from DAY trading). My positions usually range from 3 days to 2-3 months (obviously every trade is different and has different targets).

I was innocently asking if anyone has successfully traded stock while on the trail. For someone to go as far as saying its 'disgusting' is absurd. I think it's disgusting that some of you feel that opinionated.

I have not heard of anyone doing any stock trading from the trail (short, long, day, swing, or otherwise). My previous advice wasn't based upon a judgement of stock trading in general, but that the lack of reliable cell coverage may make it riskier than it otherwise would be. You probably could do it successfully with the appropriate stop-loss orders (sells triggered at loss of ~5%).

88BlueGT
03-11-2013, 17:41
i think i expressed this poorly. let me put it another way. there are only two factors that are important in investing, knowing when to get in, and knowing when to get out. do you think this is possible on the trail?

LOL! This is what I'm trying to understand... If maintaining positions is possible.

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 17:42
as its difficult to time the market at all with access to up to the minute information, its not likely to be a good strategy for the short term. in additon current stock prices are artificially inflated and are entering a bubble phase.there is nothing out there to justify record highs, and too much money coming in because it aint going into real estate, banks also paying next to nothing on cds. id be short the market right now, and long precious metals.but short term trading when you cant stay on top of it every day is not a good bet.and if you're going to obsess about what those stocks are doing while you're out there.like he said, you may as well stay home.the one on thier high horses feel one of the biggest benefits of long distance hiking is the ability to disconnect. its extremely liberating. it in fact may make you a better investor as you come of the trail with a fresh set of eyes to reevaluate market conditions.on trail too much risk, not enough reward, just not worth the hassleI gotta say, Hikerboy57 nailed it..day trading could be a real hassle if you have no service and later come to find you should've sold or bought...My stuff is self directed, I'd put it some where safe, and take a hike...coarse this is my own level of comfort when it comes to holdings...there for the long term.jm2c

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:46
I gotta say, Hikerboy57 nailed it..day trading could be a real hassle if you have no service and later come to find you should've sold or bought...My stuff is self directed, I'd put some where safe, and take a hike...coarse this is my own level of comfort when it comes to holdings...there for the long term.jm2c
well hes not talking about day trading, but still you want to buy on weakness and sell into strength, and thats very difficult to monitor from the trail

Majortrauma
03-11-2013, 17:49
It could be worse folks. Someone cold be having anxiety about not being able to follow beiber tweets. I can't fathom why someone would want to concern themsellves with trading while hiking whether it was a short hike or a thru hike but I also can't fathom why someone would NOT go commando in a kilt or maybe even carry a small caliber pistol.

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 17:52
well hes not talking about day trading, but still you want to buy on weakness and sell into strength, and thats very difficult to monitor from the trailAh, got cha...yeah still tough to do.

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 17:57
It could be worse folks. Someone cold be having anxiety about not being able to follow beiber tweets. I can't fathom why someone would want to concern themsellves with trading while hiking whether it was a short hike or a thru hike but I also can't fathom why someone would NOT go commando in a kilt or maybe even carry a small caliber pistol.
once its in your blood its difficult to disconnect.just as if you normally carry a gun, you might feel less safe being away from it for a few months.the other question ill answer=black flies and mosquitoes. its nice to have some barrier of protection for my shwetty balls

atmilkman
03-11-2013, 17:59
The only thing worth trading for on the trail is Snickers bars and Mountain houses.

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 17:59
Wow, what a bunch of nasty and inappropriate responses to a valid question! I have the same concern, but I think I have it fairly well figured out in my case and style of investing (fairly passive, just like to keep my eye on things).

And by the way, for retirees like myself, where investment income is a huge part of my income (or will be later in life) I can't simply ignore this while on the trail for 5 months! thankfully my son works in the finance industry, and he'll keep me apprised of any really Big Deals in the various markets.

I personally have a Fidelity app (droid) that I will check from time to time, not every day, but at least a couple times a week. If we do get a major swing in the equity markets, I will be re-balancing for sure. Or a major dip in which case I might add positions, or if this Bull Market keeps flying higher and higher, I'll probably sell. It's really that simple, keep an eye on things with a good app. I very much enjoy this stuff; it won't in any way lessen my extreme enjoyment of my thru attempt. I'm very conservatively invested, but very MUCH invested and I have a future and family to provide for and offspring to leave an inheritance to.

Hike your own hike and don't bad-mouth what some of us enjoy!!! Yikes.

max patch
03-11-2013, 18:01

I understand why the OP wants to trade; its just not practical or necessary.

As far as your other comments I'm a male so I don't wear a dress and I don't need a gun to feel safe.

rocketsocks
03-11-2013, 18:02
the other question ill answer=black flies and mosquitoes. its nice to have some barrier of protection for my shwetty ballsHa Ha Ha huh huh, yes and then there's that too....too funny20315

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 18:10
Wow, what a bunch of nasty and inappropriate responses to a valid question! I have the same concern, but I think I have it fairly well figured out in my case and style of investing (fairly passive, just like to keep my eye on things).

And by the way, for retirees like myself, where investment income is a huge part of my income (or will be later in life) I can't simply ignore this while on the trail for 5 months! thankfully my son works in the finance industry, and he'll keep me apprised of any really Big Deals in the various markets.

I personally have a Fidelity app (droid) that I will check from time to time, not every day, but at least a couple times a week. If we do get a major swing in the equity markets, I will be re-balancing for sure. Or a major dip in which case I might add positions, or if this Bull Market keeps flying higher and higher, I'll probably sell. It's really that simple, keep an eye on things with a good app. I very much enjoy this stuff; it won't in any way lessen my extreme enjoyment of my thru attempt. I'm very conservatively invested, but very MUCH invested and I have a future and family to provide for and offspring to leave an inheritance to.

Hike your own hike and don't bad-mouth what some of us enjoy!!! Yikes.it certainly is a valid question, and i understand your concern,but
wouldnt you just be better off allowing your son to make those decisons for you? most rallies and selloffs are a reaction to news, there has to be a catalyst. to be able to react to yesterdays news doesnt work too well.you check your app at 1pm everythings fine.iran attacks israel 15 minutes after you close the app.you dont check in until 15 minutes before the close, just to see the market has sold off 50%.
if you have individual stocks, use limit orders, or better yet, assuming hes experienced, give yur son poa for the months youll be away.
that you have someone in the industry to look after your holdings, he can react a lot faster than youd be able to get that sell order in 2 hrs too late

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 18:18
... wouldnt you just be better off allowing your son to make those decisons for you? most rallies and selloffs are a reaction to news, there has to be a catalyst. to be able to react to yesterdays news doesnt work too well.you check your app at 1pm everythings fine.iran attacks israel 15 minutes after you close the app.you dont check in until 15 minutes before the close, just to see the market has sold off 50%.
if you have individual stocks, use limit orders, or better yet, assuming hes experienced, give yur son poa for the months youll be away.
that you have someone in the industry to look after your holdings, he can react a lot faster than youd be able to get that sell order in 2 hrs too late ?????? Not sure about the OP, but at least for me, I'm not really soliciting advice on how to invest. I don't do day-trading (and the OP specifically said he wasn't asking about that either). I've done just fine with my methods, with occasional advice from my son. But thanks! And again, this will not in any way distract me from my personal enjoyment of a thru. Never has.

I actually was going to make a post about potential places to play Golf along the AT (a prime enjoyment of mine, greatly missed not getting to play for so long!). Wow, I shudder to think how that question would be responded to! I guess though any course I'd want to play would have rules against the stench I'd be sure to have...

rickb
03-11-2013, 18:20
well hes not talking about day trading, but still you want to buy on weakness and sell into strength, and thats very difficult to monitor from the trail

Beating the market is very difficult to do period.

That said, if John Mackey could run a billion dollar business while thru hiking, I don't see why a rising financial star might not give his best shot at building his owner of gold.

Unless you have only a few tens of thousands to work with. If that's the case, why bother? The risk adjusted incremental return per hour of effort would be too low, I'd think.

Sly
03-11-2013, 18:26

If you feel the best advice is contrary to the question why sugar coat it? Some advice is negative, that's a fact. It had nothing to do with "naysaying" as so many like to point out when they see advice they don't like.

Sly
03-11-2013, 18:38
I actually was going to make a post about potential places to play Golf along the AT (a prime enjoyment of mine, greatly missed not getting to play for so long!). Wow, I shudder to think how that question would be responded to! I guess though any course I'd want to play would have rules against the stench I'd be sure to have...

You're right some would probably respond in a negative way. The best advise is to take what you think will work for you.

PS Blairsville has the first course close to the trail I know of.

http://www.uccommunitycenter.com/public.html

colorado_rob
03-11-2013, 18:44
You're right some would probably respond in a negative way. The best advise is to take what you think will work for you.
PS Blairsville has the first course close to the trail I know of.

http://www.uccommunitycenter.com/public.html By "nasty and inappropriate", I was referring to posts like "That is the most disgusting idea I've ever seen on this site. " or "If this is what you are worrying about while hiking, might as well stay home" and the like. (not to drift the thread, but thanks, I'll check out that course, including their dress code!)

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 18:49
I am a index investor. I have numbers in my head and will have no problem putting in a limit order from my tent. To me it's as natural as breathing. I follow my sports teams too.

I have no trouble chewing gum and walking. I don't hate the real world. HYOH

edit: Heck, I'm in daily contact with the office back home.

Starchild
03-11-2013, 18:50
If you are able to get a continuous internet link (satellite? cellular certainly is not able yet), with the ability to get instant or near instant alerts then it seems like a go. You may also be able to achieve this with a trusted person who may make decisions for you when you are out of reach.

Other then that however you need to consider the possibility that you may lose a lot playing so close to the edge that you need to continuously monitor your portfolio. Perhaps a section that you can't easily get out of when your battery unexpectedly dies and you are cut off. Worse yet with no expectation of trouble and you feel everything is fine and you can let it go till the next trail town 4 days away.

So it is a gamble , so it the stock market. Good luck

Coffee
03-11-2013, 18:56
I'm in the investing field (although I don't day trade or even trade very much). One of the things I like about hiking is that I can't get any information on financial markets. HYOH but the idea of trading from some place on the trail is not my idea of a good time.

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 19:01
I'm in the investing field (although I don't day trade or even trade very much). One of the things I like about hiking is that I can't get any information on financial markets. HYOH but the idea of trading from some place on the trail is not my idea of a good time.
And no one should insult you for that choice.

Coffee
03-11-2013, 19:05
And no one should insult you for that choice.
Agreed. Some people love following the quotes, others don't.

Another Kevin
03-11-2013, 19:09
I know that I'm not going to outperform the market, and I don't enjoy playing the stocks, so I mostly just hope that with a sufficiently diversified portfolio, I won't lose my shirt. Every few months I rebalance. If I were to do a thru, I'd rebalance before and after, and not worry about it in between. (I suppose I could find a fund that maintains about the right breakdown and has a low management fee, but I do it with index funds.)

But that's me. If you enjoy trading, feel free to hike your own hike. If you're addicted to trading to the extent that you'd get antsy at not managing your money every few days, then I'm guessing that you have a personality type that wouldn't enjoy thru-hiking. You'd be anxious about what the market's doing and not be really able to enjoy being out there.

And the stock market will not make good shelter conversation. The general hiker reaction is likely to be, "I'm out here to get away from all that!" But you've probably noticed that already. Hopefully I'm being politer than most.

RF_ace
03-11-2013, 19:17
Just put an whip antenna out your pack so you can get data coverage in the smokies

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 19:21
I know that I'm not going to outperform the market, and I don't enjoy playing the stocks, so I mostly just hope that with a sufficiently diversified portfolio, I won't lose my shirt. Every few months I rebalance. If I were to do a thru, I'd rebalance before and after, and not worry about it in between. (I suppose I could find a fund that maintains about the right breakdown and has a low management fee, but I do it with index funds.

And the stock market will not make good shelter conversation. The general hiker reaction is likely to be, "I'm out here to get away from all that!" But you've probably noticed that already. Hopefully I'm being politer than most.
A rebalance is what I have in mind. Will I trade on the trip? All I can say is maybe.

And no, no politics at the shelter either. I do like talking football but I'm sure some will get their panties in a bunch over that too.

beachbunny
03-11-2013, 19:41
i think it's a great idea!
i used to get up in the morning,see what looked good, buy it,go ride waves for a while come back and dump it, sometimes good, sometimes not but overall much more fun than working in the paint factory. if you got the knowhow,go for it. just sour grapes to the naysayers but hey,HYOH (and BLSH), hike ur own hike and buy lo sell hi!

ChinMusic
03-11-2013, 19:46
.....if you got the knowhow,go for it. just sour grapes to the naysayers but hey,HYOH....
It never ceases to amaze me how, to some people, HYOH only applies to things THEY agree with.

beachbunny
03-11-2013, 19:51
It never ceases to amaze me how, to some people, HYOH only applies to things THEY agree with.

i don't play golf but hey.hyoh......

Rasty
03-11-2013, 19:53
... wouldnt you just be better off allowing your son to make those decisons for you? most rallies and selloffs are a reaction to news, there has to be a catalyst. to be able to react to yesterdays news doesnt work too well.you check your app at 1pm everythings fine.iran attacks israel 15 minutes after you close the app.you dont check in until 15 minutes before the close, just to see the market has sold off 50%.
that you have someone in the industry to look after your holdings, he can react a lot faster than youd be able to get that sell order in 2 hrs too late ?????? Not sure about the OP, but at least for me, I'm not really soliciting advice on how to invest. I don't do day-trading (and the OP specifically said he wasn't asking about that either). I've done just fine with my methods, with occasional advice from my son. But thanks! And again, this will not in any way distract me from my personal enjoyment of a thru. Never has.

Go east at Newfound Gap to Cherokee and the Cherokee nation has a really nice golf course. Shameless plug for the company I work for.

Alligator
03-11-2013, 20:02

I want to hear your story..... succeeded or not.This would have been a good question to place in the Straight Forward Forum.

k2basecamp
03-11-2013, 20:32
I suggest you sell the 88 Blue GT or at least trade up for a red one

Slimer
03-11-2013, 20:33
Pay no attention to Feral Bill and all the other negative nancies on this site. Just treat them as you would an annoying child---ignore them.

johnnybgood
03-11-2013, 21:15
Like others have stated...mutual funds and let your broker earn his living.

fiddlehead
03-11-2013, 21:18
I have a friend who hikes more than anyone here I believe.
He practically lives on the trail and he has been trading stocks (how else to fund his hikes?) for years.
I remember 7 or 8 years ago he was doing this with his cell phone.
Why not?
Don't worry about the naysayers, just do your thing and if trading stocks is your way of making money, you have to sell when it's time.

atmilkman
03-11-2013, 21:22
Go east at Newfound Gap to Cherokee and the Cherokee nation has a really nice golf course. Shameless plug for the company I work for.
There's a pretty cool goony golf in Helen, and an ice cream shop right there too.

Bronk
03-11-2013, 22:06

There is plenty of reason for record highs in the market...mostly having to do with inflation due to the hundred billion dollars in new currency being printed every month. While the numbers in the stock market may be going up, it doesn't necessarily mean any value is being created.

While the actual trades may be possible from the trail I wouldn't feel confident enough that I could get enough of the right information to make good decisions. I parked my money in investments that I knew I could not pay attention to for 6 months before I left...when I came back I had tripled my money.

kayak karl
03-11-2013, 22:29
i take 3 pairs of socks with me. i never thought of trading them for anything, but if i was out of food maybe.

Donde
03-11-2013, 22:37
Wow much ado about nothing. If you check your e-mail, or do an online journal, then you can do whatever financial things you need at the same time. I met a guy in 2010 who still traded while hiking. He wasn't counting on it to make his hike, he was just continuing his normal financial decisions.

Crusinsusan
03-11-2013, 22:43
i take 3 pairs of socks with me. i never thought of trading them for anything, but if i was out of food maybe.

LOL! I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I misread the title, and thought "Trading socks??? WT...?" And even before the thread opened, I was thinking, ..."why? for blisters?" and "ewwwww"

Can't believe socks didn't come up until page 3.

atmilkman
03-11-2013, 22:48
I hear coffee is the biggest trader in jail. How does it do on the trail?

AggieAl
03-11-2013, 23:32
I think your best bet is to wait until you have a nero or zero in town. It is hard to keep with financial news on the trail do to lack of reception. When I do a long hike I make sure that I have an "AT" portfolio before I start. That is one that I feel comfortable doing nothing with during that time period.

Although I keep most of my money in index funds I have some that I trade more frequently. It is more fun than Vegas and the odd are better.

I teach finance at NMSU and preach the virtues of indexing. I just like to "play" the market with part of my money. On a long hike it gives me one more thing to think about.

This is a valid question. I just don't think it is very practical to do much trading while on the trail

Miner
03-12-2013, 01:21
Its pretty hard to monitor the stock market more then once a week depending on where you are hiking. That said, I make some pretty good money off the stock market when I hiked the PCT; ironically made more while I was on the trail then before I left. But I made most of my decisions before I left and only did some minor adjustments on the trail when I got to town.

etboy
03-12-2013, 01:21
Coming a little late to this thread but I find it an interesting concept, and interestingly I don't think anyones answered the initial question, whether one thinks its right/wrong, good/bad wasn't the question. Has anyone actually done it?
I've got a couple of Bob squirelled away, and was thinking of selling some in the money covered calls, or some out of the money naked puts - Only on companies that I really wanted to own, on a monthly basis, therefore - admittedly in theory - you would only have to monitor your position every 4 weeks or so, which I think should be very manageable.

rocketsocks
03-12-2013, 01:29
LOL! I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I misread the title, and thought "Trading socks??? WT...?" And even before the thread opened, I was thinking, ..."why? for blisters?" and "ewwwww"

Can't believe socks didn't come up until page 3.And that was only cause I had a hot tip...funny after three hours I came back to this thread thinking it said Socks, and was wondering the same thing, why in thee hell would anyone want to trade socks...a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Sly
03-12-2013, 01:29

That's not going to happen with the road closed on the Cherokee side due to land slide.

Ooops sorry for being such a naysayer.

aficion
03-12-2013, 03:42

You could not be more astutely correct. This forum is populated by some of the most self righteous and sanctimonious types you will encounter anywhere. Period. I would apologize for their collective obtuseness but there is really no point.

Your idea is perfectly good and I wish I had some relevant experience to tell you about. Since I don't , I wish you well, hope you succeed, and also hope you will share what you learn here in spite of the naysayers. Hike on.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 09:20
Thanks for all the responses guys.

FatHead64
03-12-2013, 09:23
You could not be more astutely correct. This forum is populated by some of the most self righteous and sanctimonious types you will encounter anywhere. Period. I would apologize for their collective obtuseness but there is really no point.

Your idea is perfectly good and I wish I had some relevant experience to tell you about. Since I don't , I wish you well, hope you succeed, and also hope you will share what you learn here in spite of the naysayers. Hike on.

Sorry - I read that and Shawshank Redemption comes flooding into my brain. Had to comment. Thread drift over.

Two Speed
03-12-2013, 09:25
i take 3 pairs of socks with me. i never thought of trading them for anything, but if i was out of food maybe.I'm pretty sure if someone showed up with a case of Spam you'd walk home barefoot in the snow.

Pingus
03-12-2013, 09:27
I'd trade my sleeping bag for a case of Spam.

Pingus
03-12-2013, 09:29
Bad trade, I know. But one of those things I'd look back on and say sheepishly, 'seemed like a good idea at the time.' :0

max patch
03-12-2013, 11:54
Thanks for all the responses guys.

It'll take more than that to shut this group up!

hikerboy57
03-12-2013, 12:03
It'll take more than that to shut this group up!
hey! stop being a naysayer

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 12:38
Don't worry the fools here don't bother me one bit.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 12:43
Enough with the name calling folks (both viewpoints).

If it is something being done--trading--have at it.

Rasty
03-12-2013, 13:39
H&R Block should sponsor free wifi at the shelters.

max patch
03-12-2013, 13:42
Talk to Chuck.

Dogwood
03-12-2013, 14:03

I did a little trading or checking up on my stock and bond investments over the course of my 4 1/2 month AT thru-hike by going into my Ameritrade acct., maybe 1/2 dozen times total at most, while in town at a library on the internet. I suppose you could also do it from on trail as a day trader through an Iphone but that starts possibly bordering on negatively influencing your hike, AS WELL AS OTHER PEOPLE'S hikes, so you might consider that. Despite your good intentions not everyone wants to experience your stock trading while on trail. Not everyone wants to hear loud heated conversations or cell phones while hiking!

My approach to stock and bond investments has mainly been to be a longer hold term swing trader or hold long term and let them grow at a nominal annual yield rather than seeking a short term windfall as a day trader so my example of checking and trading on my Ameritrade acct while on the AT in that period was extreme for me. I did it because at that time I was severely liquid cash strapped and if needed I knew I would have to transfer funds from the Ameritrade acct to my personal checking acct to be used while hiking. Probably should have done this. The story deepens though. LOL.

Glad I can laugh about this. I took $2800 and multiplied it to a little less than $40,000 in a little under three yrs. in that Amiertrade acct mainly through some IPOs and by riding some IT stocks to the top of the bubble. Then, two of the primary companies I was invested in were found to have cooked the books so, without me being aware of it, that Ameritrade acct portfolio dropped to being worth less than $2000 in a VERY short amount of time. Contributing to that decline were some international bank failures as well as some bailouts of ailing, basically bankrupt, countries in the EU. My so called success as a stock and bond trader was short lived.

BTW, both of those two companies were found guilty, paid a huge fine to the DOJ and SEC after intentionally duping the public, no one went to prison, the execs parachuted out with HUGE golden parachutes, and the stock holders, including some lifetime employees of these companies, got financially screwed. Oh, both companies had their financial documents prepared by two different accounting firms with both of the firms being two of the TOP 3 accounting firms in the world. The accounting firms argued it out in court for several yrs and they also paid fines and were chastised by the DOJ and SEC. No stock holder had their investment money returned. Se la vie. Don't own a single stock or bond anymore.

In hindsight, I did some things wrong not effectively overseeing that Ameritrade acct and I'm not saying what happened to me will happen to you but DO NOT ASSUME that all your trading will result in money to hike on!

88Blue GT, you might consider what AggieAl said: "I think your best bet is to wait until you have a nero or zero in town. It is hard to keep with financial news on the trail do to lack of reception. When I do a long hike I make sure that I have an "AT" portfolio before I start. That is one that I feel comfortable doing nothing with during that time period." That sounds like solid advice especially considering you consider yourself a swing trader.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 14:13
I did a little trading or checking up on my stock and bond investments over the course of my 4 1/2 month AT thru-hike by going into my Ameritrade acct., maybe 1/2 dozen times total at most, while in town at a library on the internet. I suppose you could also do it from on trail as a day trader through an Iphone but that starts possibly bordering on negatively influencing your hike, AS WELL AS OTHER PEOPLE'S hikes, so you might consider that. Despite your good intentions not everyone wants to experience your stock trading while on trail. Not everyone wants to hear loud heated conversations or cell phones while hiking!

My approach to stock and bond investments has mainly been to be a longer hold term swing trader or hold long term and let them grow at a nominal annual yield rather than seeking a short term windfall as a day trader so my example of checking and trading on my Ameritrade acct while on the AT in that period was extreme for me. I did it because at that time I was severely liquid cash strapped and if needed I knew I would have to transfer funds from the Ameritrade acct to my personal checking acct to be used while hiking. Probably should have done this. The story deepens though. LOL.

Glad I can laugh about this. I took $2800 and multiplied it to a little less than $40,000 in a little under three yrs. in that Amiertrade acct mainly through some IPOs and by riding some IT stocks to the top of the bubble. Then, two of the primary companies I was invested in were found to have cooked the books so, without me being aware of it, that Ameritrade acct portfolio dropped to being worth less than $2000 in a VERY short amount of time. Contributing to that decline were some international bank failures as well as some bailouts of ailing, basically bankrupt, countries in the EU. My so called success as a stock and bond trader was short lived.

BTW, both of those two companies were found guilty, paid a huge fine to the DOJ and SEC after intentionally duping the public, no one went to prison, the execs parachuted out with HUGE golden parachutes, and the stock holders, including some lifetime employees of these companies, got financially screwed. Oh, both companies had their financial documents prepared by two different accounting firms with both of the firms being two of the TOP 3 accounting firms in the world. The accounting firms argued it out in court for several yrs and they also paid fines and were chastised by the DOJ and SEC. No stock holder had their investment money returned. Se la vie. Don't own a single stock or bond anymore.

In hindsight, I did some things wrong not effectively overseeing that Ameritrade acct and I'm not saying what happened to me will happen to you but DO NOT ASSUME that all your trading will result in money to hike on!

88Blue GT, you might consider what AggieAl said: "I think your best bet is to wait until you have a nero or zero in town. It is hard to keep with financial news on the trail do to lack of reception. When I do a long hike I make sure that I have an "AT" portfolio before I start. That is one that I feel comfortable doing nothing with during that time period." That sounds like solid advice especially considering you consider yourself a swing trader.

No one would be listening to my conversations on the phone. I have never spoken with a broker and have no intentions on starting, I'm not that much of a heavy hitter! lol And on the trail, I don't talk politics, I don't talk markets, I don't talk economics. I talk shelters, bags and what type of pasta you got in that bowl?! juuuuuuuuuuust like everyone else. I think many of these guys are blowing my question WAY out of the water. It's simply maintaining my financials while on the trail. If someone thinks there's something wrong with that there's probably something wrong with that someone.

But for the people who actually contributed to the thread, thank you. I didn't really get what I was looking for but I certainly learned who the ones who can't keep their negative comments to themselves.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 14:17

Gotcha! I would never assume that, it would be pretty foolish! It would not be money to continue hiking... just a way to maintain some income while I'm taking 5 months off. I'm a young guy and have many extremely important financial decisions coming up in my life and unfortunately, the world does not stop so I can hike. I think we all understand this.

FatHead64
03-12-2013, 14:19
88BlueGT - I had nothing to add, specifically, on the trading although, I as was mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be much different (on the trail) than staying in touch with FaceBook and a journal, etc.

Don't take the other stuff too personally - things have a way of getting twisted - the other view points can sometimes be useful. Case in point - look up my thread on freezing hoses on a Camelbak (er. bladder:eek:) - I got some good advice, but it went in a completely unexpected direction. YMMV and HYOH.

Sly
03-12-2013, 15:16
Gotcha! I would never assume that, it would be pretty foolish! It would not be money to continue hiking... just a way to maintain some income while I'm taking 5 months off. I'm a young guy and have many extremely important financial decisions coming up in my life and unfortunately, the world does not stop so I can hike. I think we all understand this.

OK, I can see how trading can get addictive and fun at times but wouldn't it be just as prudent to invest in a couple solid stocks and mutual funds whatever for 5 months and let go of having to think about it, concentrating your time on the trail? I think that's what most people are trying to get at when they say leave it at home.

The excuse of not making it out of Georgia was a half-hearted attempt at humor, if your trading went bad and your funds belly-up by Hiawassee.

Regardless, have a great hike and make lot of money.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 15:42
OK, I can see how trading can get addictive and fun at times but wouldn't it be just as prudent to invest in a couple solid stocks and mutual funds whatever for 5 months and let go of having to think about it, concentrating your time on the trail? I think that's what most people are trying to get at when they say leave it at home.

The excuse of not making it out of Georgia was a half-hearted attempt at humor, if your trading went bad and your funds belly-up by Hiawassee.

Regardless, have a great hike and make lot of money.

I can certainly see where you are coming from and it may prove just as beneficial to do as you suggested.

rocketsocks
03-12-2013, 15:56
H&R Block should sponsor free wifi at the shelters.And Fri night movies....with pop corn

88Blue GT, dude I think I've seen your car round town, hey whatever you decide, have a great hike man! I here others say how a thru-hike has changed there life in many ways...things might look different to you 6 months from now, not sayin that's a good or bad thing..just different, again Happy hiking!

Another Kevin
03-12-2013, 16:01

Exactly. And rebalancing doesn't necessarily require my attention; I can leave a PoA with someone with an order to maintain A% domestic large cap, B% domestic small cap, C% international equity, D% bonds, E% money market, rebalance every 60 days. I don't have much fun trading, even at home. (I don't much like Las Vegas, either.) And I surely don't like listening to other people's animated cell phone conversations with their brokers, so try not to do that in front of me.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 16:51
And Fri night movies....with pop corn

88Blue GT, dude I think I've seen your car round town, hey whatever you decide, have a great hike man! I here others say how a thru-hike has changed there life in many ways...things might look different to you 6 months from now, not sayin that's a good or bad thing..just different, again Happy hiking!

You may have... both of my Mustangs are actually sold :( red 93 went to a friend and the 88 got sold.

hikerboy57
03-12-2013, 16:56
blue horseshoe loves anacott steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI1aMB0py58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI1aMB0py58

rocketsocks
03-12-2013, 17:26
You may have... both of my Mustangs are actually sold :( red 93 went to a friend and the 88 got sold.I use to live over by white horse circle near Maneta's diner, but am now in Princeton junction, a couple towns over.

Dogwood
03-12-2013, 17:47
No one would be listening to my conversations on the phone. I have never spoken with a broker and have no intentions on starting, I'm not that much of a heavy hitter! lol And on the trail, I don't talk politics, I don't talk markets, I don't talk economics. I talk shelters, bags and what type of pasta you got in that bowl?! juuuuuuuuuuust like everyone else. I think many of these guys are blowing my question WAY out of the water. It's simply maintaining my financials while on the trail. If someone thinks there's something wrong with that there's probably something wrong with that someone.

But for the people who actually contributed to the thread, thank you. I didn't really get what I was looking for but I certainly learned who the ones who can't keep their negative comments to themselves.

Just trying to remind you that some hikers have resentment for other hikers who seem SO TIED to electronics or having to stay in touch with the outside world on a regular basis while it's most hiker's objective to go hiking to get away from that kind of stuff, hence the ribbing in some posts. This kind of thing CAN take the focus off the natural wilderness hiking environment and puts it back on what most are trying to get away from. BE SENSITIVE TO THAT! That's why I chose to not carry a phone on my AT thru-hike and only stayed in touch with the outside world(at home world) while in town through Emails/internet/etc. I purposefully make it my goal while hiking to keep my on trail experiences PRIMARILY concerned with the trail and be sensitive to other hiker's desires to do the same. And, if you are that concerned with daily/weekly market activity it will be on your mind and what's primarily on people's minds it's what they tend to talk about. Be honest with yourself how addictive and consuming trading can be.

Again, I like some of the suggestions that AggieAl and Another Kevin offered about having a less hands on approach trading acct. that you access on rare occasions mainly when in town. I'm probably not telling you what you don't already know but even as a swing trader you could set up your "AT trading acct" with more set priced buy, sell, stop orders and puts and calls IF IT'S AS YOU SAY and you don't access your trading acct on a daily(day) trading basis.

Don't be so concerned with some of the negative posts on your thread. WB is, after all, an opinion based website. The mods often do a good job of keeping things in context and avoiding some topics though.

Now, if you make any money in the markets on your hike while applying anything I've suggested I'll expect my 4% commissions check to be promptly mailed to me when you finish your hike. And, NO you can't have any of my pasta. Have a great journey no matter what you decide what's right FOR YOU.

adamkrz
03-12-2013, 17:48
My first thought was why and I have an eye exam next month, I thought the thread was about trading Socks on the trail.

Dogwood
03-12-2013, 17:55
I use to live over by white horse circle near Maneta's diner, but am now in Princeton junction, a couple towns over.

From Rt 30(White Horse Pike) to Rt 1. You are moving up in the world.

S'more
03-12-2013, 20:38
dont forget the casino.... you may win big.

S'more
03-12-2013, 20:39
I suggest you sell the 88 Blue GT or at least trade up for a red one
maybe a nice 93 cobra.... not many colors to choose from though.

* even though I'm a 'girl', I knew 88GT had to be a mustang......

Lyle
03-12-2013, 20:43
All I can say is: "Wingfoot saw the writing on the wall. Good that he distanced himself from the trail when he did."

S'more
03-12-2013, 20:45
You may have... both of my Mustangs are actually sold :( red 93 went to a friend and the 88 got sold.
sad, sad.... when you get to western NC, i know of a few nice ones. :D

max patch
03-12-2013, 21:17
And I surely don't like listening to other people's animated cell phone conversations with their brokers, so try not to do that in front of me.

I haven't had to "talk" to a broker in 20 years. Do people still do that?

hikerboy57
03-12-2013, 21:22
I haven't had to "talk" to a broker in 20 years. Do people still do that?
if you could find a good broker, it is a good idea. it always cracks me up how many people become investing geniuses in a bull market.most brokers are too young to have the proper perspective, many havent lived through a single economic cycle.
no offense, max patch, i have no idea what your level of investing acumen is.its what to do with the money when the market isnt lifting all boats thats the hard part.

Del Q
03-12-2013, 21:38
Definitely!

I use ESP, send positive thoughts to my broker and hope for the best

Was on the AT Fall 2008 when the financial World was collapsing..........took a count of what was important, water, SPAM, warm clothes, good gear, all good.

What I have in investments went down...........SPAM prices held steady, was pleased about that.

Requisitioned mustard packets still free.

slowfeet
03-12-2013, 23:43
A NOBO I met in NH "won" around $30K playing the stock market on his thru hike..... nice guy, paid for about 24 peoples Country Buffet meals.

it's very possible if you know what you are doing.
I had cell service on the high peaks most of the time using ATT.

Coffee Rules!
03-13-2013, 04:00
My horse has never inhaled.

wornoutboots
03-13-2013, 10:24
Sorry I didn't weed thru the whole post, but I knew these questions would arrising once I started seeing starbuck single on trail a few years ago :D
Next we'll be passing the grey poupon around the campfire :)

max patch
03-13-2013, 10:49
Next we'll be passing the grey poupon around the campfire :)

You mean you don't?

http://www.minimus.biz/images/F01-0200605-1100bg.jpg

Snowleopard
03-13-2013, 11:22
Trading socks on the AT? Like KayakKarl and susan, I misread the title.
I wouldn't trade socks or stocks on the trail myself. But, there is real money to be made selling DEET and headnets at a huge markup a few miles up popular trails during black fly season. :)

How practical is it? My guess is that if you need to check in on your investments once a week, it would be possible but sometimes pretty inconvenient -- you'd sometimes need to leave the trail to log in. Once a couple weeks should be easy on the AT. To reliably log in to check your investments daily, I don't think cell phones will work -- maybe satellite phones or ham radio shortwave? Possibly setting up a smart phone so you download a bunch of data each time you have a data connection?

I don't think it'll bother anybody on trail if you're checking texts or data on a smart phone in your tent.

I've thought about doing work while on a long hike; I'd have needed a small laptop and would have waited for town for data connections. It sort of made sense if it would let me hike when I wouldn't have been able to avoid work completely for that long. I found an easier solution: retire.

daddytwosticks
03-13-2013, 15:44
You mean you don't?

http://www.minimus.biz/images/F01-0200605-1100bg.jpg That's what I carry if I can't find Gulden's! :)