PDA

View Full Version : trail conditions in MA

goody5534
03-12-2013, 08:02
Looking for current trail conditions from jugg end rd-north to VT border? Also looking for advice on wether or not to attempt if trail is still snow and ice covered?

Migrating Bird
03-12-2013, 08:30
2+ feet of snow at higher elevations and north facing slopes, heavy rain today followed by lows in the teens for a couple of days will stiffen the spring snow up like concrete for easy walking at least in the early morning. The parts of the trail may be flooded in Sheffield and Tyringham. Micro spikes would be helpful and you may wish you had snowshoes as the snow softens.

ChuckBrown
03-12-2013, 08:30
contact cosmo, here on WB, he is a trail volunteer coordinator for the AMC Berkshire. He posted last week that he was snow shoeing on Mt everett. Even if there is no snow right now, which i doubt, all the blowdowns from the past winter wont be removed

MA volunteers do what they call Blowdown Blitz every spring, and try to have all Blowdowns gone by May 1

Im doing sages ravine to north adams on MAY 10, snow and blowdowns should be gone will be gone by then.

coach lou
03-12-2013, 08:42
contact cosmo, here on WB, he is a trail volunteer coordinator for the AMC Berkshire. He posted last week that he was snow shoeing on Mt everett. Even if there is no snow right now, which i doubt, all the blowdowns from the past winter wont be removed

MA volunteers do what they call Blowdown Blitz every spring, and try to have all Blowdowns gone by May 1

Im doing sages ravine to north adams on MAY 10, snow and blowdowns should be gone will be gone by then.
When does this 'Blitz' take place?

ChuckBrown
03-12-2013, 10:28
it will take place on different days and sections during early spring. Checkout AMC Berkshire chapter, Every year a volunteer work schedule is posted for the season. They typically work on saturdays and tuesdays. I have not seen the schedule this year yet, but Blowdown Blitz days are usually schedule around May. The idea is to get a large group to concentrate on one section and remove everything in site. last years were in May. here is link to last years schedule http://amcberkshire.org/files/at_committee/2012_Project_Schedule.pdf

The Mass AT volunteers are a great group of people.

coach lou
03-12-2013, 15:50
I meet some of those folks over the past year, and they keep the Mass section in excellent condition!:sun

goody5534
03-12-2013, 16:19
U doin any day or overnight stuff soon? Wanna goto trail days in damascus?

cricket71
03-12-2013, 20:17
i just hiked from 41 in salisbury to the hemlocks and back this past weekend and once over the north face of bear it was like walking into another world. The snow was 2-3 ft in spots and ice covered from all the traffic up there, I do suggest micro spikes if you plan on going. We brought our snow shoes but like I said we didn't need em due to all the traffic. But ice aside the stars were bright and the barred owls were quite vocal, Enjoy...

Cosmo
03-12-2013, 21:22
Here's our season work schedule, coach Lou.http://tinyurl.com/2013atprojects

Migrating Bird summed things up well. Probably not a flood threat, despite today's rain, but there's still plenty of snow on the mountains.

Cosmo