PDA

View Full Version : weight

goody5534
03-12-2013, 08:23
Pack 3lbs 6 oz atmos 65 lrg
Tent 2lbs 4 oz cppr spur ul 1 w/fp
Bag 3 lbs ba deer park (i need room)
Pad 1lb 10 oz (air core sl 25 by 78)

Are these 10 lbs 4 oz for these 4 items considered good or bad? Comments please...

SawnieRobertson
03-12-2013, 08:42
Fill your pack with what you need for SURVIVAL where you will be backpacking. Wear it. It is the overall weight that will be giving you your answer, not the percentage of any one item. Rely on your own knowledge of your needs
(not wants) and exercise judgment for yourself. You can determine the answer to your question.

Nutbrown
03-12-2013, 08:43
Sounds pretty average. You could get a lighter pad, but you'll spend a bunch for the same comfort. ...pretty much same story for each and every item in existence.

Tinker
03-12-2013, 08:47
Average for a newbie, ok for a weekender, not so good if you intend to make 12-20 miles per day on a thruhike or long section.

In comparison:
My pack weighs 18 oz. (add 8 oz. for the closed cell foam pad that provides support (and can be used to sleep on if I can't use my hammock) - the pack is frameless.

My "tent" is a hammock and weighs 20 oz. with carabiners and straps.
Add a bug net in summer - 16 oz.

My bag (good to 32 degrees) weighs 20 oz.

My "pad" is my hammock.

Total weight 82 oz. - 5.31 lbs. (and I can leave the bug net at home in early spring, late fall, and winter).

In colder weather I add a one pound sleeping bag which by itself is good to 45 degrees and with the 1.5 lb. bag is good to at least 5 degrees in my hammock with clothing and a hot water bottle.

Coffee
03-12-2013, 08:49

Are these 10 lbs 4 oz for these 4 items considered good or bad? Comments please...
You may want to weigh your copper spur again... Mine is 49 ounces with footprint, stakes, and poles...

goody5534
03-12-2013, 08:59
Just weighed everything on my butchers fda regulated scale...

Coffee
03-12-2013, 09:05
Interesting... My cs is a 2012 model fwiw...

goody5534
03-12-2013, 09:07
So at 1lb 2 oz what is the litre or cu inch size of yur pack? And with this pack are u dependent on resupply every 2-3 days? If so do u consider that fun goin to town that often

goody5534
03-12-2013, 09:11
My copper spur was purchased 1 week ago with a manufactured date of 11/12

goody5534
03-12-2013, 09:13
Wat does fwiw stand for?

swjohnsey
03-12-2013, 09:17
Pack 3lbs 6 oz atmos 65 lrg Same size ULA weighs about 2
Tent 2lbs 4 oz cppr spur ul 1 No need for footprint
Bag 3 lbs ba deer park (i need room) You can get a roomy 2 lb bag
Pad 1lb 10 oz (air core sl 25 by 78) Thermarest Neoair XLite is about 8 oz

My same four items weigh about 5 1/2.

Rasty
03-12-2013, 09:18
Wat does fwiw stand for?

For What it's Worth.

swjohnsey
03-12-2013, 09:21
Wat does fwiw stand for?

For What It's Worth. Get rid of all the extra sacks for your tent. You just need the stake bag. Get youself some titanium wire stakes, worth the money. Foot print is designed to pitch tent with fly and without body. You don't need it. You don't need a ground cloth either. You Copper Spur should come in just over 2 lb.

goody5534
03-12-2013, 09:23
Check that : Adding stakes to cp s ul1 adds 6.5 oz brings my total upto 2 lbs 10.5 oz or 42 oz... Thanks for the reminder

Coffee
03-12-2013, 09:36
The footprint on the CS may be useful if you want to pitch just the fly, say during the day if you are in a steady rain and want to get under cover for a while, maybe to eat lunch. Also, the inner part of the tent can be pitched from within the fast fly setup. This means that you could keep the inner tent relatively dry by doing the fast fly pitch first and then the inner tent if there is a heavy rain when setting up camp. I'm not necessarily saying that it is worth the extra 5 ounces, but these are some uses for the footprint beyond just protecting the floor of the tent (which is actually also important IMO)...

My CS is new and I haven't used it in the field yet but I have tested out the various pitch options outlined above. It's a nice setup although a bit on the heavy side.

Feral Bill
03-12-2013, 12:44
Average for a newbie, ok for a weekender, not so good if you intend to make 12-20 miles per day on a thruhike or long section.

In comparison:
My pack weighs 18 oz. (add 8 oz. for the closed cell foam pad that provides support (and can be used to sleep on if I can't use my hammock) - the pack is frameless.

My "tent" is a hammock and weighs 20 oz. with carabiners and straps.
Add a bug net in summer - 16 oz.

My bag (good to 32 degrees) weighs 20 oz.

My "pad" is my hammock.

Total weight 82 oz. - 5.31 lbs. (and I can leave the bug net at home in early spring, late fall, and winter).

In colder weather I add a one pound sleeping bag which by itself is good to 45 degrees and with the 1.5 lb. bag is good to at least 5 degrees in my hammock with clothing and a hot water bottle. Does the hammock weight include a tarp?

Tinker
03-12-2013, 18:54
So at 1lb 2 oz what is the litre or cu inch size of yur pack? And with this pack are u dependent on resupply every 2-3 days? If so do u consider that fun goin to town that often

I'm assuming you mean my pack, given the weight. It carries 3400 cu. in. and has a long sleeve on top that can expand it to just under 4,000. I never use the sleeve because it makes the pack top heavy.
The reason that I can carry such a small pack is that I pack the entire pack as if it was a stuffsack, using trash bags instead of tightly stuffed stuffsacks, which leave gaps between them leaving, as I call it, "the bowling ball effect". I also stuff everything I can into my cookset (condiments, small packets of soup, small bottle of olive oil, honey, etc). The cookset (which also holds my Supercat alcohol stove) is the only solid object in my pack (aside from the food bag, that is). Alcohol for the stove, sunscreen, etc, etc, go in the outside pockets, and I have a water bottle holder on the hipbelt (tried 3 different water bladders, all developed leaks. Abandoned plastic as some bottles have been recalled for bpa (which can leach into water and cause physical problems) and now carry an admittedly heavy, but indestructible, stainless bottle, which doesn't grow cooties at all (or so it seems) whereas plastic bottles get a funky "aquarium smell" after several days in hot weather.
Back to gear packed inside the pack - down packs much, much smaller than any insulative material of equal warmth, and I don't carry very many clothes.
I have hiked as many as 7 days between resupply (the Hundred Mile Wilderness) when my pack weight (total) was about 36 lbs. (including over 15 lbs. of food).
Typically I will do a section and carry 3-5 days worth of food in that pack.
Btw, I overstated the weight of my pack (Golite Dawn, large) it's 14 oz. My Granite Gear Virga (about the same size, with a few more bells and whistles) weighs 21 oz.
I've pretty much worn out the Golite (6 years and 1,200 miles or so, not all on the AT), and am switching to the Granite Gear (which I bought on closeout, like the Golite). Both packs are discontinued.

Donde
03-12-2013, 21:15
you could easily be lighter if you want to buy a bunch of other stuff.

but ah IS IT COMFORTABLE???? that's all that matters. If you get a sweet frameless cuben rig and overload or it maybe it just don't fit you right, and it feels lousy, then who cares. Light is good, but uncomfortable is not.

MuddyWaters
03-12-2013, 23:32
I would consider it toward the heavy end of spectrum in regards to long distance hiking.

There is gear that is lighter and does the job satisfactorily. In actuality, you are making things harder on yourself with a heavier load.
You could cut 4 lbs off that pretty easy. It may not sound like much, but it really is.

Dogwood
03-13-2013, 01:02

I'll apply some Yoda logic to this question. There is no good or bad. There is just what there is.

Do. Or, do not. There is no try.

Ok. Here's more movie logic to apply to your question.

Mr. Myagi: "Trust the picture."
Daniel: "How do I know if my picture is the right one?"
Mr. Myagi: "If it comes from inside you, always right one."

88BlueGT
03-13-2013, 15:11
^^^ He is right.... but you could certainly get lighter if you wanted to. At this point it really depends on 1) if you are comfortable with your base weight 2) How much its worth to you to lighten your load - it can be pricey

I just made a complete gear list (sleep system, carry system, water system, cook & food system, rain system, clothing and misc)... came in at 12.2lb and I definitely do not consider myself 'ultra-light'. I did take 2 years of revision though to get it to where its at.

evyck da fleet
03-13-2013, 20:24
It is what it is. You could be lighter but you're still around average. I have the same pack. My tent's a couple ounces lighter. Bag's about a half pound and mattress a pound lighter. Base plus 5 days of food put my total pack weight around 40 pounds for my hike. I carried some other stuff for my comfort. As long as you're comfortable, that's all that matters. You're the only one that has to carry it and it's your hike.

Oh and I did have a bunch of twenty five miles hiknig days so you don't have to be to on the light side to make miles although I could definitely feel the difference on my days hiking into town.

Tinker
03-14-2013, 07:38
Does the hammock weight include a tarp?

Good catch. The omission was unintentional on my part.
My tarp weighs 11oz. with lines. Stake weight varies.
This brings the total weight of my shelter and sleeping equipment to 93 oz. or 5.81 lbs. Still less than the weight of my Hilleberg Akto (my lightest tent), a closed cell 3/4 weight foam pad, and my sleeping bag.
And - I never have to worry about a wet/dirty tent floor with a hammock.

Another poster mentioned ti wire stakes.

I have some extras and would sell them if shipping wouldn't make the bother and spare change worth it.
Ti wire stakes are fine for compacted mineral soils (such as you would find at a manmade dirt tent pad). They are pretty much worthless for most of the forest floor along the AT which is mainly composed of loose duff (composted and compressed leaf matter).
The only thing I've found them useful for is pot supports and staking tent floors (which I don't need to do with my Akto).
For stakes which are useful along the AT corridor I think that the stakes with a V or U cross-section have far more holding power for not that much more weight.
I like MSR's Ground Hog stakes, and the ones which came with my Akto aren't that bad (though they're less durable than the Ground Hogs).
I've heard that the MSR Needle stakes (forgot their proper name) work and are lighter (but have much less surface area - hence less holding power - than the Ground Hogs).

Ground Hog stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake

Hilleberg stakes: http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/accessories/pegs.php
The ones which came with my tent have a U cross section. Apparantly Hilleberg does not see it as a good move to sell them aftermarket as the new stakes only have a V or a Y cross section (and they seem to have their own version of the MSR needle stake).

Fwiw, the Ground Hog stakes have a Y cross section.

q-tip
03-14-2013, 12:15
Here are my options for the Big 4-It costs bundle to change this stuff out...

Granite Gear Crown 60

o Cuben Pack Cover-

· TT Contrail (Wild Oasis Tarp)

o Ground Cloth

o Stakes (10)-

o Stuff Sack-

· WM Alpinlite 15D (Kodiak 0D Tamarak 35d)

o Stuff Sacks

· Thermarest Neo Air

Pad Stuff Sack

Total:

Abner007
06-01-2013, 10:14
Here are really nice and most informative post is written by you. I am totally agree with you and wants to appreciate you that you post it here. Don't you think that diet is also important to loss your weight with any kind of exercise. However i think that it is. Try to eat low fat and carbs in your diet and also drink green tea for this purpose.

shakey_snake
06-01-2013, 11:06

I know this is an old thread, but you could be twice a light for the same amount of money with mostly the same considerations.

Golite Jam 70 32oz $109
SMD Gatewood cape + serenity net tent 20oz $255
Elightened equipment RevX30 20.5oz $200 (quilt = room)
Ridgerest SOL torso, trimmed 8oz $30

4lbs 14.5oz

carophil
06-07-2013, 16:15
to me it seems like the weight isn't as big of a deal as the comfort of your pack. i've had packs where 20 pounds felt like it was gonna kill me, and packs where 35 feels like nothing. test it out, see if it's comfortable for you, and make changes from there.

kidchill
06-07-2013, 17:53
Here are really nice and most informative post is written by you. I am totally agree with you and wants to appreciate you that you post it here. Don't you think that diet is also important to loss your weight with any kind of exercise. However i think that it is. Try to eat low fat and carbs in your diet and also drink green tea for this purpose.
Umm....am I missing something?

Anyhow, yah, you're at the higher end of the spectrum. You can change your gear out and definitely get lighter. I thru-hiked with everything for 2200 miles and my base weight was near 15lbs (changed a few things on trail, and it got cold going SOBO, so I gained a few pounds). Now that I'm back to weekend warrior status I'm working on a sub-10lb setup. Step one for going lighter--look at all your gear and be REALISTIC about what you need and what you DON'T need! (I saw a guy carrying 4 knives on the AT...made no sense to me). Step two--change/replace the easy/cheap items (such as dropping heavy water bottles for gatorade bottles). Step 3--start changing the bigger items (step 3 is the one that costs the most money).

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 18:47
Goody I'm at exactly your same numbers 10lb 4oz, for me to go lower with the big four would cost a small fortune at this time, though I do have room for other better gear choices, and will make my stand there (less electronics, books, food, water containers, ditty bags...stuff like that) I've also noticed on the last couple hikes that carrying 35 lbs was not as big a deal as I thought and that after a couple miles my pack seemed to all but disappear. I'm sure half of that weight would feel better, but I'm dealing with that weight quit nicely, so for my money...I'll be at 10-4 for a bit. That said, my next lower weight purchase might likely be a lower weight sleep pad, I could lose a pond right there. someone Mentions a sleeping quilt, now that sounds like a suggestion that might fit the bill for you...Good luck cutting back, that's half the fun...shopping for new gear.