PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating eggs?

sagegrad
03-12-2013, 11:05
Is it possible and safe to dehydrate cooked eggs? I'm talking about making an omelet (using no butter), dehydrating and having for a FBC breakfast?

Rasty
03-12-2013, 11:09
The fat content in the yolks may prevent it from dehydrating. Usually eggs are freeze dried.

QiWiz
03-12-2013, 11:11
Is it possible and safe to dehydrate cooked eggs? I'm talking about making an omelet (using no butter), dehydrating and having for a FBC breakfast?

I doubt this would work, but there are freeze dried eggs and egg powder I believe.

Pingus
03-12-2013, 11:18
Tough to have eggs everyday on the trail. When I want them I just hard-boil them in town and pack them in. I suppose freeze dried would work but I've never tried it.

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2013, 11:28
A: dried eggs are a mess, hardboiled isn't.

Pingus... Fresh farm eggs ( not store purchased ) unwashed will last 2 weeks unrefrigerated in an egg carton.

sagegrad
03-12-2013, 11:38
Thanks all! Have my FBC dinners ready to go and was just trying to come up with some different breakfast ideas.

FarmerChef
03-12-2013, 11:39
I agree with WOO. I've tried to dehydrate eggs. They look beautiful. But...

when you rehydrate them the yellow comes out in the water and the eggs are tough, chewy and tasteless.

Rasty
03-12-2013, 11:40
Thanks all! Have my FBC dinners ready to go and was just trying to come up with some different breakfast ideas.

Have you tried breakfast shakes? Nestle Nido with pulverized freeze dried fruit and Carnation Instant breakfast.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 11:42
I agree with WOO. I've tried to dehydrate eggs. They look beautiful. But...

when you rehydrate them the yellow comes out in the water and the eggs are tough, chewy and tasteless.Good to know. Thanks for taking one for the team!

sagegrad
03-12-2013, 11:43
Sounds good. I'm gonna give that a try soon!

hobby
03-12-2013, 11:44
I doubt this would work, but there are freeze dried eggs and egg powder I believe.

http://beprepared.com/provident-pantry-dehydrated-whole-egg-powder-40-oz.html?sc=GOOGLE&oc=GOOG029004&gclid=CLOnzt3B97UCFQ-znQodmnsA7Q

Rasty
03-12-2013, 11:45
Sounds good. I'm gonna give that a try soon!

I started alternating cereal and shakes every other day. I only cook one meal a day and usually hike for about an hour before eating breakfast.

RED-DOG
03-12-2013, 11:57
I came across an idea it's called a Zip-Lock Omelet take two fresh eggs, crack them place in Zip-lock put whatever you want, onions,pepper's,salt whatever, place contents in boiling water takes 13 mins, when done pour omelet on to tortilla Wrap makes great Burrito, I done this at home works great, Haven't had a chance to try it on the trail, still trying to come up with a good way to transport the eggs. :-?

Rasty
03-12-2013, 11:59
I came across an idea it's called a Zip-Lock Omelet take two fresh eggs, crack them place in Zip-lock put whatever you want, onions,pepper's,salt whatever, place contents in boiling water takes 13 mins, when done pour omelet on to tortilla Wrap makes great Burrito, I done this at home works great, Haven't had a chance to try it on the trail, still trying to come up with a good way to transport the eggs. :-?

Good idea. No scorching with thin cookware and no clean up.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 12:01
I came across an idea it's called a Zip-Lock Omelet take two fresh eggs, crack them place in Zip-lock put whatever you want, onions,pepper's,salt whatever, place contents in boiling water takes 13 mins, when done pour omelet on to tortilla Wrap makes great Burrito, I done this at home works great, Haven't had a chance to try it on the trail, still trying to come up with a good way to transport the eggs. :-?I have not tried it, but some people suggest leaving them in the carton. I have considered buying the Egglands best eggs and bringing those as they come in a plastic carton. The carton seems sturdier than cardboard and it has an inner layer which may prevent spillage.

Rasty
03-12-2013, 12:04
I came across an idea it's called a Zip-Lock Omelet take two fresh eggs, crack them place in Zip-lock put whatever you want, onions,pepper's,salt whatever, place contents in boiling water takes 13 mins, when done pour omelet on to tortilla Wrap makes great Burrito, I done this at home works great, Haven't had a chance to try it on the trail, still trying to come up with a good way to transport the eggs. :-?I have not tried it, but some people suggest leaving them in the carton. I have considered buying the Egglands best eggs and bringing those as they come in a plastic carton. The carton seems sturdier than cardboard and it has an inner layer which may prevent spillage.

I never understood why the plastic egg caddies only hold small and medium eggs. Who buys medium eggs?

BirdBrain
03-12-2013, 12:09

Great recipe, but a few steps left out (which most people would gather without my help here).

Put all ingredients in bag, zip shut, shake up well to mix, un-zip bag, get all air out, re-zip bag, boil, etc.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 12:19
I never understood why the plastic egg caddies only hold small and medium eggs. Who buys medium eggs?Are you talking about the camping ones? I tried one of those once, Coughlins I think it was, and it was a disaster. Maybe I put the wrong size eggs in it:datz. The support in the holder poked through all the eggs. This happened after hiking, I didn't just crush them into it.

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2013, 12:22
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Folding-Plastic-Camping-Container/dp/B009GDCRFS .31 cents?

I won't accept Coglans as it only accepts small not grade a large...If you must know the older outer shipping container from Crystal Light with the tubs inside works too. Just stack them in there Try not to shake the pack too much...

Rasty
03-12-2013, 12:24
I never understood why the plastic egg caddies only hold small and medium eggs. Who buys medium eggs?Are you talking about the camping ones? I tried one of those once, Coughlins I think it was, and it was a disaster. Maybe I put the wrong size eggs in it:datz. The support in the holder poked through all the eggs. This happened after hiking, I didn't just crush them into it.

Probably put large or extra large eggs inside. They are for small and medium eggs.

WingedMonkey
03-12-2013, 12:28
For 1/2 dozen eggs.

Method 1:
You whip them very well. Then scramble them in a dry no-stick pan until most of the moisture is gone. Dry them in the dehydrator at about 145* for about four hours until completely brittle. Then powder them in a blender/processor even a coffee grounder.

Method 2:
Whip eggs very well (can use a blender). Lightly spray or oil a fruit roll sheet. Pour in raw eggs. Dry for at 145* for about sixteen hours until completely brittle. Then powder them in a blender/processor.

Both methods make about 1/2 cup of powder. To make the equivalent of one average sized egg mix 1 heaping tablespoon of egg powder together with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir it up, let it sit for 5 min and use as you would normal eggs.

The raw dried method produces the closest thing to scrambled egg looks after reconstitution, still not that good, both are better used in other recipes.

Nether method is really worth all the effort for the taste and I prefer to carry four to six raw eggs.

:sun

The Old Boot
03-12-2013, 12:36
Some websites will swear that you not only can't but shouldn't dehydrate eggs at all because of the risk of salmonella - research I read shows that the risk of salmonella in store bought eggs is something like 1 in 30,000 with something like 69 million eggs tested so I kinda think that risk should go right out the window!!

I've read lots of info from people who swore that the rehydrated eggs didn't work except for use in baking etc. They all seemed to end up recommending buying commercially prepared freeze dried eggs. My problem is cost and availability here in Canada.

Then I ran across a site - another backpacking site (didn't save the URL...sigh) where someone had experimented with several different methods of dehydrating until he found something that actually worked!

First off, farm fresh eggs are vital. The store bought stuff is old, old, old before it even hits the shelf not to mention the taste is greatly diminished.

The instructions I copied into my 'dehydrating recipe files' are as follows:

Blend eggs in blender to whip and mix.
Pour onto sheets
Dehydrate for 16 hours @ 145 F
Break up and run through coffee grinder.
Reconstitute at ratio of 1 heaping tablespoon to 2 tablespoons of water = 1 egg.

WARNING: I haven't had a chance to try this yet! It's on the 'to-do' list along with a couple of hundred other things...lol.

As to carrying fresh eggs, I have a plastic container repurposed from Cottonelle fresh wipes that weighs in at just under 2 ounces and will easily hold 6 farm sized eggs with room for padding by paper towels.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 12:39
Probably put large or extra large eggs inside. They are for small and medium eggs.It was the red one, so probably the Coleman brand. I am going to double check it at Walmart. It may have been operator error on my part though as I generally buy large eggs and sometimes XL.

colorado_rob
03-12-2013, 13:50
I can't justify the time for freeze-drying nor the weight of fresh/hardboiled, but I've found Mountain House "breakfast skillets" to be really tasty on the trail, especially if you do carry tortillas and some margerine for frying up "breakfast burritos":

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=30482&Category_Code=MHCBF

High, but not too horrible of a cost, about 4 bucks a cup, which is 350 calories. Add butter and a couple tortillas and you're talking a ~600 calorie breakfast. This has worked well for me about every 2-3 days or so on long hikes (breaks up the monotonous cold cereal or hot oatmeal).

FarmerChef
03-12-2013, 13:58
I have not tried it, but some people suggest leaving them in the carton. I have considered buying the Egglands best eggs and bringing those as they come in a plastic carton. The carton seems sturdier than cardboard and it has an inner layer which may prevent spillage.

I have taken raw eggs in the carton on the trail. I've even cut the carton in half (lengthwise) to take only 6 eggs. And, I even bought an egg from a convenience store on the trail so I could bake brownies the NEXT night. It held up fine with nothing but it's shell to protect it (I did wrap it in clothes and prayed it wouldn't break).

FarmerChef
03-12-2013, 14:03
First off, farm fresh eggs are vital. The store bought stuff is old, old, old before it even hits the shelf not to mention the taste is greatly diminished.

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I used farm fresh eggs (my chickens just laid them, not much fresher than that) and I still was unhappy with the taste once rehydrated. It just wasn't worth all the effort in the end. Much better to carry a few eggs if you really, really want them on the trail. With sufficient fat in the pot or inside of a ziploc bag cleanup is minimal and the experience is sooo much better, imho. But to each they're own. Seriously. You might love the dehydrated ones. So I say try it and let us know how it works out.

The Old Boot
03-12-2013, 14:12
I just checked the sodium content of the Mountain House egg dishes and all I can say is WOW!!!! Well I had other words but I can't say them here...rofl.

1060 mg in one and 1300 in the other - I know a little extra sodium when you're breaking a sweat all day won't hurt but man, too many of those dishes and anyones' blood pressure would be through the roof.

I also found out that there's milk products in there too so that puts them completely out of the question for me (lactose intolerant).

Guess I'll have to find some way to spice up my own dehydrated eggs so that I can enjoy my usual breakfast tortillas on the trail. Usually a little garlic powder takes care of any lack of taste!

Rasty
03-12-2013, 14:14

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I used farm fresh eggs (my chickens just laid them, not much fresher than that) and I still was unhappy with the taste once rehydrated. It just wasn't worth all the effort in the end. Much better to carry a few eggs if you really, really want them on the trail. With sufficient fat in the pot or inside of a ziploc bag cleanup is minimal and the experience is sooo much better, imho. But to each they're own. Seriously. You might love the dehydrated ones. So I say try it and let us know how it works out.

Agree. Dehydrated eggs are the reason for cereal, oatmeal or breakfast shakes. I would rather eat food that tastes as it is supposed to taste then try convincing myself those eggs taste normal. Fresh eggs or nothing.

Rocket Jones
03-12-2013, 14:20
For something different at breakfast, try dehydrated quinoa. Add slivered almonds, dried cherries and some brown sugar and powdered milk (I prefer Nido). Add water, hot or cold and chow down. Good stuff that'll stick with you for a while.

Tuckahoe
03-12-2013, 19:20
Has anyone tried the Ovaeasy eggs?

mrcoffeect
03-15-2013, 16:42
just a thought: what if you took a wide mouth water bottle gently stack full with eggs and fill water, leaving the smallest air bubble possible. i would think you would have to really shake the hell out of it to break an egg.

FarmerChef
03-15-2013, 16:46
just a thought: what if you took a wide mouth water bottle gently stack full with eggs and fill water, leaving the smallest air bubble possible. i would think you would have to really shake the hell out of it to break an egg.

I suppose that could work. Easy enough to test at home. I've had very good luck with just an egg carton.

Tinker
03-15-2013, 19:55
A: dried eggs are a mess, hardboiled isn't.

Pingus... Fresh farm eggs ( not store purchased ) unwashed will last 2 weeks unrefrigerated in an egg carton.

Yes, not store bought. Though there is nothing wrong with them for at-home-out-of-the-refrigerator use.

I saw a special on egg distribution a few years ago. The practice then was to mix a few eggs from previously packaged cartons if those cartons got damaged.
The mixed fresh and not-so-fresh eggs would be legal to ship and sell.
Hopefully, that is not the case today, but I would assume that, within certain parameters, it could be considered "safe".:-?

Tinker
03-15-2013, 19:59

I've done this with a 16 oz. water bottle and not had any yolks break. The only thing about this method is that the fresh eggs might not stay fresh as long (don't know, never did any lengthy experiments), and you'll have a water bottle that will need a thorough washing (I wouldn't trust biodegradable soap for this, only good 'ol dish washing liquid).

Everybody knows what rotten eggs smell like. :eek:

Demeter
03-20-2013, 06:08
I am a dehydrating fanatic and tried drying scrambled eggs a couple times. The salmonella is destroyed if cooked properly. I even spread them out thinly in small pieces and they were still as tough as shoe leather after rehydrating for a long time. Really gross.

Do yourself a favor and order some Ova Easy. Super tasty and easy. I pack a piece of string cheese and can make a yummy omelet in my imusa set (baking inside a cup in a cup set up like a double boiler). You can also add them to any recipe calling for eggs.

Hot Flash
03-20-2013, 14:21

In the shell works.

Odd Man Out
03-20-2013, 15:24
Great recipe, but a few steps left out (which most people would gather without my help here).

Put all ingredients in bag, zip shut, shake up well to mix, un-zip bag, get all air out, re-zip bag, boil, etc.

I'm not sure it's necessary to get all the air our. I've cooked things like this (but not eggs) in bags before. The air bubble keeps the bag floating on the top (for easy removal), but the contents will be dense enough to be submerged.

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 15:46
I'm not sure it's necessary to get all the air our. I've cooked things like this (but not eggs) in bags before. The air bubble keeps the bag floating on the top (for easy removal), but the contents will be dense enough to be submerged.

Perhaps not all but if too much air is left in the bag then I would assume that as the air expands it could force the bag open, no? Just thinking out loud in case someone who isn't familiar with this tries it and winds up with egg drop soup instead :datz I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

illabelle
03-20-2013, 15:53

I like the idea, but the eggshell is permeable. I would hesitate to carry eggs submerged in liquid for an extended period. Not sure what effect it would have, but I suspect it could hasten spoiling. The eggshell is meant to protect a developing embryo, not drown it. And why carry the extra weight of water I probably won't drink? I might consider using something like rice instead of water. After using 1-2 eggs, just stuff a plastic grocery bag in the top to keep things from moving around too much. Sounds like something I'd like to try out one day.

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 15:57
So I'm taking a big risk and I mailed an egg for a mail drop. I'm also sneaking in paper strip easter basket grass and treats for my kids since we're hiking over Easter Day. I cut out a cardboard egg carton, creating two cups. One cup went on the bottom, in went the egg, and then the other cup went on top. Then I used a rubber band to secure the top. I tried dropping it on the table a couple times to see how it worked. Success! For insurance I then packed it inside a ziploc bag with the easter grass inside and the egg in it's container nestled inside. I will post back with a. did the egg survive it's shipment and b. was it still good by the time I used it. It will go into a cake I'm baking on the trail so not the end of the world if it isn't perfect. Time will tell!

Dobie Swift
03-21-2013, 08:45
Has anyone tried the Ovaeasy eggs?

Yes! I think they are quite good. I have tried the Mountain House scrambled eggs and I spit them out. The Ovaeasy were quite tasty.

Tuckahoe
03-29-2013, 19:47
Yes! I think they are quite good. I have tried the Mountain House scrambled eggs and I spit them out. The Ovaeasy were quite tasty.

I finally picked up a bag of the Ovaeasy eggs and tried them out. Wow! They are pretty dang tasty. Now to experiment with some new breakfast dishes.

zukiguy
03-29-2013, 19:57
I haven't done them in a few years but dehydrating raw eggs worked fine for me. Granted, they're not the real thing but what is on the trail? Raw eggs go on the dehydrator tray and dry until done. Drying at too high a temp sets the proteins and turns them to goo so maybe go lower than 145F. I did a batch of green pepper and onions as well. Toss a few servings of eggs and the veggies in a vacuum pack bag and you have an instant Denver omelet. It's nice to have some lukewarm water and about half an hour to let them fully rehydrate before you try and cook them. A little butter or olive oil in the pan and cook them up just like regular eggs. It is a lot of work though.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 19:58
I could be wrong but I think the last time I went to one of those little- organic- hippy- granola- natural- food stores they had some kind of bulk powdered egg or soy substitute that you could add to recipes. Plus, they always have good dehydrated foods like black bean dip and corn chowder. I love these places and often the bulk is so much cheaper than the grocery stores, more varieties, and a good selection of things you cant get at the grocery store. I just stay away from all the prepackaged foods they always cost 5x as much.

QiWiz
03-31-2013, 11:50
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but you will probably really like the Ova Easy Egg Crystals. They taste more like fresh scrambled eggs when rehydrated and cooked than anything else I have tried. Not too expensive either. Long non-refrigerated storage. Even when package is opened, still does not need refrigeration, so will certainly last for a few days on trail.