PDA

View Full Version : Are scented trash compactor bags a problem?

kattt
03-12-2013, 16:29
I know to use unscented products to avoid attracting bears looking for food, but what about using trash compactor bags as bag liners? I like that they are so sturdy, but they do have a noticeable scent. Is it a problem, and should I go with flimsier but unscented trash bags? Or are bears not attracted to fake overly perfumed scents? Thanks!

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2013, 16:34
Interesting topic - I think only the folk hiking behind you will enjoy it.

Red Hat
03-12-2013, 16:35
my trash compactor bag doesn't have a scent... of course it is at least 5 years old and not a single hole yet...

Snowleopard
03-12-2013, 21:13
When I bought trash compactor bags to try out, they were so strongly scented that it triggered my asthma. I couldn't even have them in the house.

My guess is that the scented bags will either repel bears (and definitely repels snowleopards) or will attract every bear within 20 miles.

There are plastic bags that don't transmit odors. They are apparently used to store household goods when your house is fumigated for insects. BPL had a group buy last year. Any thoughts on these WOO?

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2013, 21:34
Honest I use odor neutralizer at work and on the trail. The whole point is to see more wildlife... I know it works when Coyote's run into me on the AT and Hawk Mountain unaware of my presence.

DeerPath
03-13-2013, 11:44
my trash compactor bag doesn't have a scent... of course it is at least 5 years old and not a single hole yet...

Ditto...
My compactor bag is Glad 18 gallon.

Cosmo
03-13-2013, 17:58
The stink of the bag will be on all of your gear. Your sense of smell is heightened after you are out for a while--remember what it's like when you meet a day hiker when you've been out for a couple of days?

Anyway, you really can't cover up hiker funk with another scent. Do everyone a favor and get the unscented compactor bags.

Cosmo

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 18:08
I know to use unscented products to avoid attracting bears looking for food, but what about using trash compactor bags as bag liners? I like that they are so sturdy, but they do have a noticeable scent. Is it a problem, and should I go with flimsier but unscented trash bags? Or are bears not attracted to fake overly perfumed scents? Thanks!Kinda wondering the same thing, but different. I've be saving large dog food bags with a zipper in hopes I'd use these, but the dog food smell and residue I think would attract every mouse in the county....so I'll bite the bullet and buy something else.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2013, 18:50
The stink of the bag will be on all of your gear. Your sense of smell is heightened after you are out for a while--remember what it's like when you meet a day hiker when you've been out for a couple of days?

Anyway, you really can't cover up hiker funk with another scent. Do everyone a favor and get the unscented compactor bags.

Cosmo

Not to argue but if you wash in this Hunters Scent a way.. all smell is neutralized.

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 18:56
Didn't think of that Woo, there may be hope for my recycled dog food bags after all.....Honey wait, don't throw those out yet! I still got plans for them!

atraildreamer
03-13-2013, 19:06
Why spend a lot of money on fancy trash bags? You are just going to throw them away, anyhow!

Nooga
03-24-2013, 18:56
Why spend a lot of money on fancy trash bags? You are just going to throw them away, anyhow!

I looked at Walmart today and the only compactor bags that I could find were the scented variety. I'll have to keep looking.

thebrewguy
03-24-2013, 20:52
The bags I got are scented. I thought it would be good for covering general funk smell after a few days of being out. So far I haven't had any animal problems. I'm about to hike through GSMNP with one, so ill let you know if I get any visitors

Nooga
03-26-2013, 15:39
If you are interested in the unscented variety, I found them at Ace Hardware. Box of 5.

jbwood5
03-26-2013, 16:37
If you are interested in the unscented variety, I found them at Ace Hardware. Box of 5.

I've also purchased unscented bags at Sears, although it was a few years ago.

wornoutboots
03-26-2013, 21:56
Some people like scented because it keeps everything inside your pack smelling fresh, damp sleep system, damp gloves, hat extra clothes, camp clothes. Do what you wish. Doubt the animals will care

k2basecamp
03-26-2013, 23:28
What really scares bears more than anything else are those urinal cakes. Put one of those in the bottom of your pack and you will never have to worry about a bear again either on the trail or in camp!! I know some guys who carry two sometimes three but 1 has been proven fully effective.

Swordpen
03-26-2013, 23:49
I heard if you carry a few scented dryer sheets, it repels mosquitos. Actually, I've been doing this for 5 years or so, have even slept with 1 near my face in my sleeping bag, & I think it helps a bit.

Chair-man
04-05-2013, 17:07
I know to use unscented products to avoid attracting bears looking for food, but what about using trash compactor bags as bag liners? I like that they are so sturdy, but they do have a noticeable scent. Is it a problem, and should I go with flimsier but unscented trash bags? Or are bears not attracted to fake overly perfumed scents? Thanks!

Actually, if you just hang the bags up for a few days they loose their scent. Kinda like deodorant.

brian039
04-05-2013, 17:28
I've always used the scented bags because that is all I can ever find. Never had a problem with animals. The bags lose their scent after a while.

smithcj06
04-14-2013, 09:06
Yeah the scented bags run out of scent after a short period of time. Even synthetic trash compactor scents are no match for hiker gear stank.

henry g wilgo
04-14-2013, 13:38
what really scares bears more than anything else are those urinal cakes. Put one of those in the bottom of your pack and you will never have to worry about a bear again either on the trail or in camp!! I know some guys who carry two sometimes three but 1 has been proven fully effective.

very clever,,thanks

Deacon
04-14-2013, 17:54
What really scares bears more than anything else are those urinal cakes. Put one of those in the bottom of your pack and you will never have to worry about a bear again either on the trail or in camp!! I know some guys who carry two sometimes three but 1 has been proven fully effective.

I have to ask, proven by who?

Sarcasm the elf
04-14-2013, 18:07

This is a really bad idea. Many of the more habituated bears are housebroken and know that the smell of urinal cakes indicates where they should relieve themselves. This is especially problematic if you leave your pack leaning against a tree overnight. In that position the it can easily be mistaken for an actual urinal and it is quite common for hikers to wake up to find that their pack has been filled with bear pee during the night.

rusty bumper
04-15-2013, 09:25
The ones I bought two years ago are unscented...don't remember where I got them. Scented products of any sort don't agree well with my "smeller", so I stay away from them!

finish9
04-15-2013, 09:55
home depot carries the unscented bags but in a box of 30 (I think). I just bought a box for the house and threw the cardboard box away (a habit from hiking).