PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Pocket Micro Water Filter

Charlie Redwood
03-12-2013, 18:14
Anyone hike the Appalachian Trail with the Katadyn Pocket? How did the ceramic filter perform and last when wet and subjected to freezing temperatures that might possibly cause damage?

Feral Bill
03-12-2013, 23:35
I used one of those for a few years in the west. The filter lasts and lasts with frequent cleaning. It is hard pumping and slow producing, but 1/2 the weight of the MSR Mini. For occasional cold night it could go in your sleeping bag to avoid freezing, otherwise there is a real problem. I gave mine to my daughter. At present I'm inclined toward Aquamira drops in cold weather or alone, boiling if I'm melting snow anyway, and an MSR Mini for groups.

Bati
03-13-2013, 16:40
I used a Katadyn pocket and had it freeze up on me a few times after pumping it dry-MAKE SURE you follow the directions! I was able to put it on top of a pan of snow and it melted in seconds; there was very little water in the pump left to freeze.

As for the life of the filter, it died after what I estimated to be only 90% of it's predicted lifespan (the gauge fit around it one day...)
However, I suspect this was due more to filtering glacier runoff than to freezing temperatures.

In short- the filter is expensive, heavy, slow, reliable, lasts nearly forever, field maintainable and can filter any water source that isn't frozen solid. It never once let me down, and I filtered many nasty sources besides glacial runoff. I never needed a pre-filter, though I did have to clean gunk out of it more frequently I would like at a few of the water sources.

In cold weather, try to pack it at the interior of your pack or even consider carrying it inside your jacket, along with your lighter (those freeze up too.)

Feral Bill
03-13-2013, 17:06
We seem to be discussing two different filters. The Mini is about 1/2 lb. The Pocket is much bigger and more costly. Which are you asking about?

Charlie Redwood
03-13-2013, 18:17
We seem to be discussing two different filters. The Mini is about 1/2 lb. The Pocket is much bigger and more costly. Which are you asking about?
Katadyn Pocket

Bucho
03-16-2013, 13:45
I only saw one Pocket on the trail, the combination of excessive weight and price makes it an uncommon filter. That said he still had it in New England so it must have been working ok. That said freezing is an issue for every filter and it's easy to avoid, lots of people manage to thru hike with filters every year.