PDA

View Full Version : noob question

backpacker38
03-12-2013, 18:31
I am planning on hiking a section of the AT for the first time. My hike will start at pine grove furnace state park and will end in harpers ferry. My journey will start at the end of June, my question is what this section of trail like and what kind of weather should I expect?
Thank you..

canoe
03-12-2013, 18:39
Go to trail journal and read people's experiances. You will find alot of info there.

backpacker38
03-12-2013, 18:55
Thank you for that I will check there.

Country Roads
03-12-2013, 19:48
End of June will be plenty warm, but might be stormy. Most of this section is pretty decent. The climbs tend to be short and not too steep. Resupply is often a bit off trail, but there are food opportunities. Water is decently spaced, but can be down off the trail a ways, sometimes up to 1/2 mile, one way. There are several places with garbage cans, so you can ditch garbage. The shelters are often close to roads, but they are usually pretty nice shelters. You will be sharing shelters with Northbound thruhikers, which can be educational and fun.

backpacker38
03-13-2013, 19:00
Thank you for the good info.

Blissful
03-13-2013, 20:28
Great time for Maryland but it will be busy trailwise with thru hikers and Boys Scouts training for Philmont. You are only allowed to camp in designated campsites and shelter areas. Fires only at shelter areas. No alcohol permitted in MD on the trail. Nice views at Black Rock and Annapolis Rocks. Good historical sites too. Enjoy.

backpacker38
03-13-2013, 21:53
Thank you Blissful, if I may ask how do you find which sites you can camp at. I will be camping in a tent. Thank you for the info.

Malto
03-13-2013, 22:16
You picked a great section to start. You should pick up an AT thru hiker Companion guide. It will give you all the info you need. Have a great trip.

FarmerChef
03-14-2013, 10:19
You can pick up the Companion or "The Guide". Either will serve you well, though they will cover much more than you need. As an alternative, a more expensive one, consider buying the maps and/or guidebooks from the ATC, PATC or a local outfitter in your area. These will cover more or less the specific areas you are hiking and indicate the campsites, shelters and other areas along the trail. The two guides (Companion/Guide) also give hints on areas not necessarily shown on the maps which can be outdated by a few years.

This section of the trail is relatively flat compared to most other places along the trail but it will still have its share of ups and downs and quite a few rocks in the northern section. Places to get water are abundant along the trail but can sometimes be reduced to a trickle or damp spot if we are in prolonged drought. Your map/guides should indicate water sources. Towns tend to be off the trail a bit if you're looking for something to eat or a mail drop/resupply. But that's usually not an issue. You'll pass through several state parks all of which have bathrooms, potable water, some snacks/sodas and...tons of vacationers. As someone else mentioned the trail will be full of scouts and thrus at this point so you'll have lots of interaction with other people. Scouts tend to consume a tent site if they land there but usually try to do so well away from the shelter so as not to impose. At least that's been my experience on the trail. In PA you will find tons of campsites to choose from. It won't be a problem. Maryland has plenty too.

Temps can be anywhere from the 70s to the 90s with evenings typically in the 60s or 70s, sometimes 50s or 80s. Storms do tend to blow through somewhat regularly but this could be once or twice per week, not every day. Longer periods of rain are possible. Much of the trail is covered in canopy so you will have plenty of shade but there are a few field walks to help break it up a bit.

backpacker38
03-14-2013, 18:22
Thank you everybody for your great info. I am looking forward to hitting the trail and have bought the companion..