PDA

View Full Version : AT Group Section Hike Wind Gap, PA to Bear Mnt, NY

Free_bird
03-12-2013, 20:24
Hi, Im planning NOBO group section hike from Delaware Water Gap, Pa to Bear Mtn, NY. (Aprox. 111 mi.) Im leaving Saturday, June, 29th @ 8am. If everything goes as planned, It should be a 6 day hike. Here is a list of the event:

Meet up @ Water Gap Diner 7am. 6am if your going to eat. 55 Broad St, Delaware Wtr Gap, PA 18327. Get dropped off, bus it in or make parking arrangements ahead of time. Departing at 8am.

Im a fan of hike your own hike so here are my plans. If your slower or faster than me, we can meet up at the following places in plan.

First day: - 18 miles to Blue Mtn Lakes Road. There is a hand pump for water on the west side of the trail just before crossing the paved road. I will be camping half mile north of the road.
We can plan leave times each day as we go.

Day 2: - 19 miles to Mashipacong Shelter

Day 3: - 20 miles to Pochuck Mtn Shelter

Day 4: - 21 miles to HWY NY 17A.

Day 5: - 17 miles to Fingerboard Shelter.

Day 6: - 16 miles to Bear Mtn.

I suggest you get the 2013 Appalachian Trail Thru - Hikers Compainion / Guide from www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) so you can plan your water stops and possible food drops, motels, showers ect, ect... I will have one with me. Im open to any ideas or will change the plan as long as i make it in 7 days. This is my first AT trip so if anyone wants to suggest something please do so.
Also Im 36, male, fit, easy to get along with and like to have fun while enjoying the outdoors.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2013, 20:26
what's the rush

Free_bird
03-12-2013, 20:41
what's the rush

Is that rushing... lol Im trying to get this section done. Im planning a thru next year and once i get to NJ take a week off.

Rusty Nail
03-12-2013, 20:43
That is a lot of miles per day. No doubt you can do it, but your feet will not like you in the morning. Sounds like you are locked in to the 7 day limit so you planned accordingly. I live very close to DWG and you are not out of "Rocksylvania" just because the of the state line. The first 40 miles are pretty much one ridge with a few dips and not so bad. Pochuck and Vernon will be your steepest and nastiest climbs. Over all it is not that bad compared to the rest of the trail and most thrus are doing well over 20 per day, BUT they have also had 1300 miles of practice before getting here. Just keep your comfort meter as your guide instead of the calendar.

Make sure you water up before you get to Mashipacong, there is not water other than from a maintainer in the bear box. It may be there or might not.
Oh... and have fun

Lone Wolf
03-12-2013, 20:52
Is that rushing... lol Im trying to get this section done. Im planning a thru next year and once i get to NJ take a week off.

do it by yourself.

Free_bird
03-12-2013, 21:00
Make sure you water up before you get to Mashipacong, there is not water other than from a maintainer in the bear box. It may be there or might not.
Oh... and have fun

I saw that in the companion. Thanks for the heads up! Also your right I only have a weeks vacation to do it.

Silent Bob
03-14-2013, 06:31
I hiked Dwg to Greenwood lake last November . It took me 5 and half days. I did the trip solo and really had a lot of fun. I meet a few nice people along the way. Rusty is right the trail still has a lot of sections with rocks. The areas that didn't have rocks I took my time and enjoyed the scenery instead of making up miles. New jersey has it all Mountains,swamps,farms and even a boardwalk .The Harriman section I've done numerous times since it has tons of trails to make loops. That area is mostly rocks as well. One day I plan on doing this hike again since it was a lot of fun. Enjoy your hike.... Dude

tdoczi
03-14-2013, 07:49
Is that rushing... lol Im trying to get this section done. Im planning a thru next year and once i get to NJ take a week off.naah, its not rushing, its just walkin'

jbwood5
03-14-2013, 08:01
Is there long term (relatively safe) parking available around DWG town or out near the actual Gap along the Interstate? Is the Pack Shop (?) still in business and does anyone know if Larry (?) in the Pack Shop still does shuttles?

Otherwise, it sounds like a great hike but fairly agressive.

RED-DOG
03-14-2013, 17:52
I don't know about parking, but when i went through their last May the Pack Shop was still open and they was still doing shuttles into Stroudsburg, I haven't heard anything about them closing.

Cookerhiker
03-14-2013, 18:42
Your last two days will be the most difficult - by far. Frequent steep ups and downs. I hope you have cooler-than-average weather for mid-summer. I hiked part of the stretch you're doing in mid-June and the heat/humidity was awful unless you enjoy lying atop your sleeping bag sweating all night. Expect mosquitoes.

All that said, it is a nice section - too bad you can't do it in September or October.

Is there long term (relatively safe) parking available around DWG town or out near the actual Gap along the Interstate? Is the Pack Shop (?) still in business and does anyone know if Larry (?) in the Pack Shop still does shuttles?

Otherwise, it sounds like a great hike but fairly agressive.

How about leaving your car at the Park Service Visitor's Center?

snorz
03-14-2013, 18:50
Contact Edge of the Woods Outfitter for information about parking,shuttles&trail conditions.

Rusty Nail
03-14-2013, 19:15
There is a park and ride lot no more than a mile from the hostel. Rt 80/611 across from the visitors center, it is free but may not be the safest bet for weeks on end.