PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Smokies thru hike Davenport to Fontana gear list in 9 days

duckypaddler
03-12-2013, 21:12
Getting ready for my Smokies thru hike, and thought I would run my gear list by my fellow fourm members:)

Doing 3 nights 4 days. Upcoming forecast seems to be calling for warmer temperatures and rain, so I just finished a few adjustments.

Feel free to help me shed some more weight, or let me know what I might be missing. Thanks for help in advance:)

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11945

MuddyWaters
03-13-2013, 23:20
You wont need paracord, shelters have bear cables save 2.3 oz
You will want carabiner to clip your pack to bear cable so it cant be shaken off though.
No need for GPS, leave it and save 5.3 oz
Use 0.35 oz photon instead of 2.8 oz headlamp, save 2.5 oz
1 oz of TP is a lot. Cut it at least in half
You wont need insect repellent, just treat clothes with permethrin.
You dont need sanitizer and soap. Just take the soap, use it to shower at fontana when your done.
You wont need extra batteries, save that 2.9 oz
You have 7oz gas for stove, but no stove, no pot, etc?
You dont need a fork, take only spoon.
You will need groundsheet in shelters under you, I assume you will use the bivy for that, and shelter in case you need it
Id get rid of the steripen, take AM
No water containers? steripen requires a wide mouth
Maps/guidebook pages?
Compass?
Wading shoes? 3lbs? Have you hiked 75 miles in them before?

duckypaddler
03-14-2013, 09:05
Muddy Waters - Thanks for your response!

Your right I definately dont need 50 feet of paracord. I will take 15 feet since I like to make a clothes line to dry my gear.

I'm definately taking the GPS. It allows my to pinpoint exactly what I'm looking at off each side of the mountain to make me even more familiar with the place I love, and I need to mark a few waypoints in areas that look to be more open woods as to rhodoed out area for future off trail exploration options.

I hesitate to get a photon or e-light as I sometimes do enjoy hiking in the dark. My second day if from Tr-Corner to Double Springs, and If I'm not feeling all that great after day one, want to make sure I can spread out my hours and hike a few at night.

The TP is just one mini camping roll. While I might be able to save a 1/2 oz, I think I'll probably take it. Good for kleenex if you get a runny nose.

I measured the soap, sanitizer, and insect repellant togewther. While I have never washed my clothes in permethin, I will most likely leave the repellant

Extra batteries. I know I'll be fine, but have a hard time leaving these behind. Will try to just take extra batteries for headlight, and ditch the AA's for GPS and Steripen as they both aren't necessary.

Thanks for pointing out no stove or cookset. I have added them.

I will ditch the fork.

Why do I need a groundsheet for shelter? I have my bivy just curious? I'm guessing to just keep the funk off your stuff?

I love my steripen, and will be taking it. I have never been a fan of the pills. I don't like waiting, and most I don't like the taste. The model I have is the traveler so it works with the small bottles. I take 4 water bottles. They weigh .4 oz each empty and 18.4 oz full

I have scanned the pages from the Brown book into my phone. My GPS has 24k maps built in. Both phone and GPS have compass although I doubt it will be needed.

Wading shoes. I had a hard time adding them also, but they are what I have done much of my hiking in lately. While I haven't taken them 75 miles in a row, I have done 25+ miles a day in them. They breathe really well and soles are strong enough for smokies rough trail. I spent 2 hours trying on shoes at an outfitter last week, but still can't seem to find the right shoe. Then I bought a pair of New Balance trail hikers in narrow at thye next store and while they felt great on initial try, there is one spot where it's a bit too narrow and I won't be wearing them. I may look at another outfitter, but am not hopeful at this point.

Thanks for your input.

scope
03-14-2013, 10:05
...Why do I need a groundsheet for shelter? I have my bivy just curious? I'm guessing to just keep the funk off your stuff?...

The shelter floor is usually pretty dirty. Not too much different from being on the ground.

RED-DOG
03-14-2013, 11:34
Looks pretty good but you don't need WADING shoes just a lightweight pair of hiking boots or shoes, no extra batteries, I always used my groung sheet ( Tyvex ) it's what i use for my tent, I lay it down on the shelter floor, it will insulate you from the wind, most shelters do have cracks in the floors.

duckypaddler
03-19-2013, 18:23
I have added a sil-nylon groundsheet. I have also switched my Stealth quilt for an EE 10 degree, and added a down parka since it will be much colder than originally forecasted. Last night when park headquarters was 42 it was a shivvering 17 at LeConte, and figured Tri-Corner being above 6000 feet would be similar. Also not sure if I should take my micro spikes? Anyone have any recent beta?

Ooh and the wading boots are gone. After 5 stores, and going through every choice possible I settled for some Patagonia drifters. Really wish those Saloman XA Pros fit my feet better as they were worlds lighter

Ox97GaMe
03-19-2013, 18:36
There are no stream crossings on the AT in the Smookies. The only thing you might use wading shoes for is around camp. you will want to get out of your wet hiking shoes (rain/snow/sweat) when you get to camp. Some people carry flipflops or river shoes for this purpose.

There is still snow/ice at the higher elevations, and could be even into mid April. you should be prepared for that. Having YakTraxx or some sort of crampons might be beneficial, especially if you expect to do long distances each day. I was up at Icewater this past weekend and there are areas of the trail that still had over 2 ft of snow. I heard that the entire trail from Icewater to Cosby Knob Shelter was ice/snow packed. Expect snow everywhere above 5000 ft elevation. Bugs wont be an issue this time of year unless you go to the lower elevations (which the AT does not).

Have a great hike.

duckypaddler
03-19-2013, 18:51
I have hiked my last 300 miles in the Smokies in wading shoes and besides being a 1/2 pound heavier per pair were't much different from the Patagonia Drifters I just bought to replace them. Plus they are great when stream walking is part of your hike. But anyway, they aren't coming so enough talk about them.

And I already ditched the bug repellant - just didn't take it off the list

Thanks for the updated info on Icewater. I will add the microspikes to my gear list. I was taking water samples for the park this last weekend, and was surprised by the lack of snow on Clingmans Road (nice to be able to drive on a closed road). That's what made me think I might be ok without the micro spikes. Guess it's a different story just a few miles away.