PDA

View Full Version : Layering

moocow
03-12-2013, 22:33
Two questions:

First, will I need long pants or can I go with running shorts and a pair of long underwear like I did for the AT? Sierras and the desert are my concerns.
Second, I have a base tee, long tee, thin fleece. Not using my raingear as a layer since I sweat like a pig in them. This worked for me late April through May on the AT. Will this suffice for hiking the PCT? Will I need another layer for camp? I hear it can get pretty chilly at night in the desert even in May.

moocow
03-12-2013, 22:35
Oh, and convertible pants won't work because I have a very short inseam. Convertible pants cut off closer to the ankle than the knee.

bigmac_in
03-12-2013, 22:37
Hey, can he say that? lol

frisbeefreek
03-12-2013, 22:59
Desert--I personally recommend a wind layer for the legs and top, plus some type of emergency rain layer. Some people advocate pants to help keep the sun off your legs, but I wore shorts happily. Apparently the Poodle Dog Brush was epic last year in the burned our areas (it causes a nasty skin rash), so long pants were required. Insulation wise, you'll be ok if you plan on using your sleeping bag around camp. Keep in mind that you'll be above 8000 feet in the California shoulder season, so the possibility of a nasty rain/wind/snow storm exists, and you have to be in a position to take shelter or hike through it.

Sierras--Add a level of insulation and real rain gear. Expect night time temps in the mid-20's plus the possibility of a serious mountain storm (i.e.: 2 feet of powder June 2nd the year I hiked). Day-time it's typically 60F and sunny. Above the tree line you are totally exposed, and if you are on a snow field, there is no shelter, so you better have some protection from the elements (I carried a 10oz Dri-Duck suit).

Venchka
03-13-2013, 23:07
SPF 70 sunscreen. SPF 50 wide brim hat and clothing.
Malignant melanoma.
Take your pick.

Wayne