PDA

View Full Version : Partner for sale on Ebay

k2basecamp
03-12-2013, 22:44
Anybody else see this auction on Ebay. You can hike with this guy for $4500:rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appalachian-Trail-Partner-/230944856276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c562d8d4

Thankfully it's Free Shipping !

Slo-go'en
03-12-2013, 22:48
Does he carry all the gear and make dinner?

canoe
03-12-2013, 22:52
Now that is unique

k2basecamp
03-12-2013, 22:52
Slo-go'en said
"Does he carry all the gear and make dinner?"

Dont talk about my 84 yr old mother like that!

WingedMonkey
03-12-2013, 23:13
Cool to see that what he's sold so far for his rating of "14",is most of his toys.

pelenaka
03-12-2013, 23:24
Scanned the ebay listing for key words or phrases that would entice me to bid none of which I found -
Licensed masseuse or chiropractor, Sherpa descendant, sexy reading voice, and extreme wild crafting skills such as the ability to make lambs quarters taste like chocolate.

Crusinsusan
03-12-2013, 23:51
LOL....the temptation to ask him questions is soooo strong!

"Will you carry everything?

Are you into cougars?

Will you make all the treks into town for resupplies?"

No skills and the same price (I think) as an experienced guide who is taking a group out? (I know someone here knows who I'm talking about, but the name escapes me).

Too funny.

Kookork
03-13-2013, 01:27
what is the return policy?

Coffee Rules!
03-13-2013, 03:55
If only he were a she...

flemdawg1
03-13-2013, 08:44

Ever seen a grown man naked?

Do you like gladiator movies?

Sara
03-13-2013, 09:11
This can't be serious.

It reminds me of those gold digger travel websites where men select ladies to go on luxury vacations with them.

Coffee Rules!
03-13-2013, 09:18
It reminds me of those gold digger travel websites where men select ladies to go on luxury vacations with them.

I've seen one of those. Hilarious! "Gold diggers" was the very first thought that came to mind. The second had more to do with the world's oldest profession.

slow mind
03-13-2013, 09:25
He could be an AT sherpa! I'll send him a Q. asking if he can carry a giant blue plastic barrell on his head.

hobby
03-13-2013, 09:27
Ever seen a grown man naked?

Do you like gladiator movies?

what's your clearance, Clarence?

Drybones
03-13-2013, 09:28
Not my type.

snickersbar
03-13-2013, 09:58
Mail Order backpacking partner: from Ukraine, tall and leggy, send all checks overseas for as long as he sticks around and doesn't dump you for someone else with more money?

Maybe, he comes from one of those sad, sad "hiker mills" where you're never really sure if his shots are up to date or his pedigree is authentic? Will he mind a swat on the nose with rolled up toilet tissue if he makes doo-doo and doesn't bury it 6-8" deep and 200 feet off the trail?

I think the next time I'm hard up for cash I'll auction off my soul on ebay since he's doing nearly the same thing. Tell me this nutter is going to remain cheerful for over two thousand freaking miles. You never "know" someone until you get on the trail with them- believe me. I already dumped one bossy and selfish hiking partner this year... this dude sounds off balanced :-)

Storm
03-13-2013, 10:36
Just another moocher trying to get someone else to pay for his vacation.

dzierzak
03-13-2013, 11:07
what's your clearance, Clarence?

Your vector, Victor?

FarmerChef
03-13-2013, 11:08
I'll do it for $4495 and throw in a free sham wow.

BirdBrain
03-13-2013, 11:11

That seems to be the new American dream for most everything many feel they deserve.

1azarus
03-13-2013, 11:13
A million years ago my life was being a ski instructor, and I would occasionally run into people (usually wealthy just past middle aged men) who wanted a bit of adventure but were really unsure of themselves, and were willing to pay for a security blanket. The arrangement would never last too long -- if you do a good job, then the "client" would be ready for independence after a while. A 6 to 9 month walk? I doubt it. Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.

hobby
03-13-2013, 11:14
Your vector, Victor?

roger, Roger

Hikes in Rain
03-13-2013, 12:46
I added him to my watch list, just to see what happens. I'll report back if he sells, and what the high bid is.

WingedMonkey
03-13-2013, 13:05

Next thing you know someone will pay him to carve his name in a shelter.

88BlueGT
03-13-2013, 13:21
I added him to my watch list, just to see what happens. I'll report back if he sells, and what the high bid is.

If this sells I think I know what I'll be doing :D

max patch
03-13-2013, 13:26
Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.

Except for the making dinner part, Doyle will do that for ya. And he'll even carry your gear. Course ya hike on his schedule and sleep by the side of the road, but if it floats your boat....

Don H
03-13-2013, 13:30
A million years ago my life was being a ski instructor, and I would occasionally run into people (usually wealthy just past middle aged men) who wanted a bit of adventure but were really unsure of themselves, and were willing to pay for a security blanket. The arrangement would never last too long -- if you do a good job, then the "client" would be ready for independence after a while. A 6 to 9 month walk? I doubt it. Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.

Heck I'd do that and I'm cheap!
Do you really think there's a market for AT coaches? Maybe someone who could hep you get set up with the proper gear, put you on a training program and then hike a week or two with you to get you started?

Bencape4
03-13-2013, 13:32
its funny how serious he is

hobby
03-13-2013, 13:49
surely, he can't be serious

Coffee Rules!
03-13-2013, 13:50

Oh but he is, and stop calling me Shirley.

Fur Queue
03-13-2013, 13:55
My grandfather used to say "if you don't ask...you don't get"....no harm in asking if you are skint and out of work....I'm sure there are plenty of worse things that people with enough cash to spare give to...

treesloth
03-13-2013, 13:56
its funny how serious he is

He is serious - and I find it funny too. It takes some minerals to flat-out ask strangers to essentially pay you 4-5K to walk with them for 6 months.

gizzy bear
03-13-2013, 13:58
chances are....that isn't even HIS pic...

hobby
03-13-2013, 13:59
Oh but he is, and stop calling me Shirley.

what can you make of this?

TroutknuT
03-13-2013, 13:59
Give me Ham on five and hold the Mayo.. Will he warm and dry your gear every morning . Hate putting on cold wet shirt and socks.

Half Note
03-13-2013, 14:37

Came here to say this. I will never understand why people want something without working for it.

tiptoe
03-13-2013, 15:41
Hilarious. I guess his job interviews didn't pan out.

max patch
03-13-2013, 15:43
Minnesota Smith would tell him to grow a beard.

Cookerhiker
03-13-2013, 16:13
I'll say this for the dude, he's got chutzpah. And he's creative - simply asking for "sponsors" is old hat. Chances are he's on WB or at least has lurked and has a good idea of the reception he'd receive here. Going on e-Bay? Probably heeding Barnum's "There's a sucker born every minute" and thinking you can fool some of the people some of the time. Actually he need fool only one person.

A few months ago, a moocher posted on one of the AT Facebook pages seeking (gullible) "patrons" to support an "artists' project" on the AT. Three or four such artists were to thruhike and produce a book or media project that would be truly unique i.e. not at all like the scores of other AT books and videos, :rolleyes: and they would donate 10% of the proceeds to an "AT conservation cause." Said proceeds weren't from the "donations," but from sales of this artistic project. And of course to produce this great work of art, they needed donors to pay for gear, food, town stops, etc. etc. hence the donations.

After I asked a few questions and made a few points, he faded away. And BTW, he was the only poster I've ever seen on FB who would post his narrative and then "like" his own post.

TheYoungOne
03-13-2013, 16:33
If I hit the powerball I would so put a bid in. I would have the poor guy carry my pack and his. He would have to wear a full tuxedo and I would call him "Jeeves" and he would have to address me as "My Lord" while bowing.

I think I would last about a week, then I would just crack up laughing, and cut him loose. Then I would tell him to have a good hike and stay far away from me.

MuddyWaters
03-13-2013, 16:52
sherpa or boy-toy?

Second Half
03-13-2013, 16:55
He should do a Kickstarter instead.

(This was said in jest but as I was typing I realized [without actually checking] that someone certainly must have already done one).

hobby
03-13-2013, 17:35
what can you make of this?

nobody????? how about "a hat, a pteradactyl, a broach......"

Drybones
03-13-2013, 20:28

Dont call me Shirly!

Drybones
03-13-2013, 20:35
Heck I'd do that and I'm cheap!
Do you really think there's a market for AT coaches? Maybe someone who could hep you get set up with the proper gear, put you on a training program and then hike a week or two with you to get you started?

You know, there might actually be a market for it. My son and girlfriend went to the Andes for 8 days, had two guys carrying most of their gear, they would go ahead before dinner and have it ready when they arrived, had delicacies like guinea pig, I bet there's actually people that would pay for that service on the AT...non of the ones I met on the trail tho.

Drybones
03-13-2013, 20:38

Yeah...he's probably some old fart that looks like me.

FatHead64
03-13-2013, 20:38
I'll say this for the dude, he's got chutzpah. And he's creative - simply asking for "sponsors" is old hat. Chances are he's on WB or at least has lurked and has a good idea of the reception he'd receive here. Going on e-Bay? Probably heeding Barnum's "There's a sucker born every minute" and thinking you can fool some of the people some of the time. Actually he need fool only one person.

A few months ago, a moocher posted on one of the AT Facebook pages seeking (gullible) "patrons" to support an "artists' project" on the AT. Three or four such artists were to thruhike and produce a book or media project that would be truly unique i.e. not at all like the scores of other AT books and videos, :rolleyes: and they would donate 10% of the proceeds to an "AT conservation cause." Said proceeds weren't from the "donations," but from sales of this artistic project. And of course to produce this great work of art, they needed donors to pay for gear, food, town stops, etc. etc. hence the donations.

After I asked a few questions and made a few points, he faded away. And BTW, he was the only poster I've ever seen on FB who would post his narrative and then "like" his own post.

Sadly - I have several friends who are victims of liking their own posts on FB. :datz

Don H
03-13-2013, 20:39
You know, there might actually be a market for it. My son and girlfriend went to the Andes for 8 days, had two guys carrying most of their gear, they would go ahead before dinner and have it ready when they arrived, had delicacies like guinea pig, I bet there's actually people that would pay for that service on the AT...non of the ones I met on the trail tho.

I might be cheap but I'm not easy, I ain't carryin' anyone's gear!

slow mind
03-13-2013, 21:29
Well it's not THAT far fetched,I was paid 14,000 to sail a boat for only four months! To the right person he's a good value.

Train Wreck
03-13-2013, 21:38

Let's help him get some bids going, then.
Do I hear $4500?

Slo-go'en
03-13-2013, 21:54

(This was said in jest but as I was typing I realized [without actually checking] that someone certainly must have already done one).

Yes, this has happened. I belive it was by someone with a inoperable brain cancer looking to finance an AT hike as a last wish kind of thing. The details I can't recall.

Kookork
03-13-2013, 22:02
What is he offering? I read his description twice( honestly , I read it three times) . It does not make any sense. He is not offering anything. He has not hiked the AT before. He has not been a guide before. He is not offering to carry extra weight of client's gear or cook or whatever. The funny and at the same time sad part is that all he needs is one costumer and he is good to go.

For god sake he did not choose a hiking photo of his for a hiking related matter( if he has any). Just sunset on a sandy beach ,barefoot drinking some whatever .

Hug me please...

leaftye
03-13-2013, 22:07
What is he offering? I read his description twice( honestly , I read it three times) . It does not make any sense. He is not offering anything. He has not hiked the AT before. He has not been a guide before. He is not offering to carry extra weight of client's gear or cook or whatever. The funny and at the same time sad part is that all he needs is one costumer and he is good to go.

For god sake he did not choose a hiking photo of his for a hiking related matter( if he has any). Just sunset on a sandy beach ,barefoot drinking some whatever .

Hug me please...

People donate to lesser causes. There's almost no downside to asking for money aside from a hit to his pride. Worst case, he pays for himself or doesn't hike, like everyone else. Or he gets to hike for almost nothing.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2013, 22:33
I belive the way ebay works, if you were so insane as to enter a bid and win it, you would be obligated to pay that amount, right then and there. And once the kid had the money, he may or may not show up, dispite the free shipping. And I don't see where he is offering to do anything for the bid winner which might be construed as a breach of contract.

Train Wreck
03-13-2013, 22:39
Well it's not THAT far fetched,I was paid 14,000 to sail a boat for only four months! To the right person he's a good value.

I can paddle a canoe...what kind of pay can I expect?

slow mind
03-13-2013, 22:41
I can paddle a canoe...what kind of pay can I expect?

You'll have nothing and like it!

Train Wreck
03-13-2013, 23:09
You'll have nothing and like it!

Well, crap. I thought I could give folks a break at $2250, being as it's only one blade.

leaftye
03-13-2013, 23:15
I belive the way ebay works, if you were so insane as to enter a bid and win it, you would be obligated to pay that amount, right then and there. And once the kid had the money, he may or may not show up, dispite the free shipping. And I don't see where he is offering to do anything for the bid winner which might be construed as a breach of contract.

Ebay still allows alternate forms of payment that are not immediate. It could be argued that this auction is improperly categorized since it's not an item, but a service. I'm not sure what the rules are in regards to services, but car auctions bear no obligation by either party.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2013, 01:46
Ebay still allows alternate forms of payment that are not immediate. It could be argued that this auction is improperly categorized since it's not an item, but a service. I'm not sure what the rules are in regards to services, but car auctions bear no obligation by either party.

I'm not sure its even a service. It's more like a plea for a grant. I bet if someone called this to ebay's attention, it would get deleted quickly.

Bronk
03-14-2013, 05:04
Its actually pretty smart to structure it this way...they win the auction and pay the $4500 and then two weeks into the hike when his "partner" quits the hike or gets tired of him and wants to go his own way this guy still has all the cash. If it were a "pay as we go" arrangement they would cut off the funds when the above happened, or at best give him a couple hundred and send him on his way. But I do agree that he offers nothing in exchange...he is essentially asking for charity to fund a very expensive vacation. He might as well be asking people to give him money so he can go to Vegas for the weekend. 'Course, look how many people come on here looking for someone to "start the trail with" thinking they are afraid to go alone and don't realize that there will be hoards of people hiking up Springer every spring and you'll be hard pressed to be alone at all for the first 500 miles.

gizzy bear
03-14-2013, 12:24
Do I hear $4500?

the phones are ringing off the hook, here at "immadumbass.com" .... we can't keep the "make-believe, moocher" hiking partners on the shelves... :P

chief
03-14-2013, 18:59

(This was said in jest but as I was typing I realized [without actually checking] that someone certainly must have already done one).Except on Kickstarter you have to, at least, offer something back to the donators. Like, tell them you're gonna write a book and offer free or discounted signed copies. Nobody will actually force you to write a book. Just spend the money on whatever, dumbazzes should of known better. Sound familiar?

BFI
03-14-2013, 19:19
Does he come with with a money back guarantee and If he breaks where do you return him for a full refund. :-?

Old Hiker
03-17-2013, 22:45
Joey, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?

Hikes in Rain
03-21-2013, 19:32
Auction's over.....no sale!

jj2044
03-21-2013, 19:46
Anybody else see this auction on Ebay. You can hike with this guy for $4500:rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appalachian-Trail-Partner-/230944856276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c562d8d4

Thankfully it's Free Shipping !

I wonder if this was Irishbastards plan A, and plan b was a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR???

Hikes in Rain
03-25-2013, 12:33
And it's back! I guess that if at first you don't succeed.......relist the auction!

richmondhokie
03-25-2013, 13:52
And it's back! I guess that if at first you don't succeed.......relist the auction!

Added it to my watch list........

shelb
03-25-2013, 23:10

Are you into cougars?

Will you make all the treks into town for resupplies?"

No skills and the same price (I think) as an experienced guide who is taking a group out? (I know someone here knows who I'm talking about, but the name escapes me).

Too funny.

lol....keep going!

richmondhokie
03-26-2013, 10:50
I sent him questions thru ebay:

Dear mirola87,

What experience do you have hiking? What guarantees do I have you will complete the hike?

What is to stop you from quitting 4 days into the hike?
- richmondhokie89

Here is the response:

Dear richmondhokie89,

Since I'm unemployed my days consist of applying for jobs and walking (or running), and working out twice a day. Gotta make the most of the free time while I have it. I also eat as healthy as I possibly can. I have a lot of experience hiking here where I live (FL). Yes it's flat, but usually I'll go a distance of around 15 miles or so with 30 pounds in my pack. I have hiked for 2 days in the Colorado in Estes Park, and for 70 miles on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia.

I am seeking an adventure away from the material world. This trip would be everything from a religious experience, to a great accomplishment I am passionate about earning while I am young, and have the free time to do so. I am very strong minded and have pushed myself beyond my comfort zone many times to accomplish things. I feel that there is a huge lack of that type of self discipline in the world today and it disgusts me. If there is someone kind enough to go out of there way and rely on me to complete this trail with them, then I will most definitely not let them down. What is your experience?
- mirola87

capehiker
03-26-2013, 10:57

Warren Doyle does something similar.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2013, 11:22
Maybe we could start a collection and sponcer this dude just for the fun and entertainment it would provide. All we would need is 450 WB members to donate $10 each and we could own this guy :)

richmondhokie
03-26-2013, 13:23
Maybe we could start a collection and sponcer this dude just for the fun and entertainment it would provide. All we would need is 450 WB members to donate $10 each and we could own this guy :)

Who would be the poor sucker to be "Stuck" with him.......the last person to donate gets stuck - would encourage fast donations......

Old Hiker
03-26-2013, 13:37
Who would be the poor sucker to be "Stuck" with him.......the last person to donate gets stuck - would encourage fast donations......

Even better? Lowest DONATION gets stuck with him! Retired military are exempt. Not it.

richmondhokie
03-26-2013, 13:52
Even better? Lowest DONATION gets stuck with him! Retired military are exempt. Not it.

Woo Hoo - makes me exempt as well.........

Odd Man Out
03-26-2013, 18:16
I wonder if this was Irishbastards plan A, and plan b was a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR???

Plan C, sell old versions of Appalachian Pages for $300

Cookerhiker
03-26-2013, 20:00

That's funny but you know, it may be true.

k2basecamp
03-26-2013, 23:23
Warren Doyle does something similar.

Hey, I'd buy Warren Doyle if he had a Buy It Now Price ! I'd also buy a dozen of his fancy tarp-like printed contra dancin shirts too !

LDog
03-26-2013, 23:45
He could be an AT sherpa! I'll send him a Q. asking if he can carry a giant blue plastic barrell on his head.

I think we all ought to ask him the questions we're dying to ask ... (Heh, heh!)

rocketsocks
03-27-2013, 02:11
I think we all ought to ask him the questions we're dying to ask ... (Heh, heh!)

[Searching deep within and asking for the strength to not ask the question]...ah another day with a reprieve, tomorrows a new day!

richmondhokie
03-28-2013, 14:06
It is tomorrow - has anyone asked him any questions - we need to just ping away at him - asking him a multitude of questions and post the questions and results on here.

Mags
03-30-2013, 13:23
This can't be serious.

A few weeks ago, Mrs Mags and I made use of a very generous gift card we received to a local fancy schmancy restaurant. Everything you need to know about the food is this: They sold a tiny bowl of "pasta fagioli " for $40! That's "macaroni and beans". Something Grandma made and for $40, you can make a hell of a lot. ;) Despite Grandma's lack of a James Beard award, I also guarantee her dish was many times better. Find t amusing that the "peasant food" my grandmother made is now yuppie "foodie" dining. ;)

Anyway, in this place we see a woman in her late 20s. she was wearing a thigh high dress that was also low cut paired with tall, black leather boots.

Her "companion" wa a gentleman in his mid to late 60s. Dresed in what I call Boulder dress casual (mountain khakis, fleece vest , button down shirt from Prana, Patagonia or similar)

Adrianna made the comment that it seemed inappropriate to dress like that for a night out with her father.

I smiled and said "Hon, I doubt that's her father" :)

Kookork
03-30-2013, 14:24

Dear mirola87,

What experience do you have hiking? What guarantees do I have you will complete the hike?

- richmondhokie89

Here is the response:

Dear richmondhokie89,

Since I'm unemployed my days consist of applying for jobs and walking (or running), and working out twice a day. Gotta make the most of the free time while I have it. I also eat as healthy as I possibly can. I have a lot of experience hiking here where I live (FL). Yes it's flat, but usually I'll go a distance of around 15 miles or so with 30 pounds in my pack. I have hiked for 2 days in the Colorado in Estes Park, and for 70 miles on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia.

I am seeking an adventure away from the material world. This trip would be everything from a religious experience, to a great accomplishment I am passionate about earning while I am young, and have the free time to do so. I am very strong minded and have pushed myself beyond my comfort zone many times to accomplish things. I feel that there is a huge lack of that type of self discipline in the world today and it disgusts me. If there is someone kind enough to go out of there way and rely on me to complete this trail with them, then I will most definitely not let them down. What is your experience?
- mirola87

He did not answer any of your questions .
He is an average guy who thinks he has an Iron will and no quit mentality, like many others he should prove his toughness on the trails but not at the expense of some naive companion.

leaftye
03-30-2013, 14:55
The first question was answered.

It's not like you'd be committed to paying if you won the auction. If your bid was serious, you'd be better off using the auction to get in touch and putting together a support plan instead of paying everything up front.

Kookork
03-30-2013, 14:59
The first question was answered.

It's not like you'd be committed to paying if you won the auction. If your bid was serious, you'd be better off using the auction to get in touch and putting together a support plan instead of paying everything up front.

You are right he answered the first question, My bad.

kayak karl
03-30-2013, 15:13
he should put up a new sale looking for 5 people to hike with him for $900 each. he has a better chance and he will be cheaper them the competition :D

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 17:11
Do I hear $4500?

Yeah, I'd join in trying to do that and wind up being the LUCKY oh so lucky $500 high bidder and be expected to shell out the do re mi when he should be paying me to do what he's offering.

I asked myself this same question, "what's he positively offering in return for the $4500?" ASSUMING, without first verifying his claims, he is as he says he is, here's what I came up with, without all the sarcasm, - besides offering the obvious, creativity and chutzpah, some hiking experience(at least he has done 15 mile days WITH 30 lbs on his back and has the wherewithall and honesty to admit doing that in flat Florida is not EXACTLY the same as doing it on the AT, that alone is more than some of those who want to do speedy hikes or accomplish calendar yr Triple Crowns consider or bring to the table!), sharing a dream that someone else might similarly have, his healthy living lifestyle(I for one would prefer thru-hiking with someone with this lifestyle), energy, self discipline, his motivation(if that's really a pic of him he didn't EARN that body or a college degree by being a lazy couch potato or not seeing things through to completion!, that right there is important to someone who actually has a HIGH desire to COMPLETE AN AT THRU-HIKE, it also tells me that at the least he knows the BIG difference between simply desiring something expecting others to GIVE IT to him and EARNING what he desires), intelligence(he's college educated), his possible hiking friendship, etc. So to say he brings ENTIRELY NOTHING POSITIVE to the hike isn't, I think, correct. Now, if someone is willing to pay him $4500 for that that's another story.

To not come off like a mooch he needs to frame things better in describing what someone is possibly going to POSITIVELY receive in exchange for $4500. If he played that card he would get better results in obtaining offers and money! In all seriousness, if that's actually his body, his achievements, and non lazy mindset, he might consider making some hiking do re mi as an exotic male dancer, personal trainer, motivational coach, working in a gym, working at a hiking outfitter(which would address several issues simultaneously!), etc. Before letting all the possible negative connotations that exotic dancing/entertainment might entail I knew several people both male and female that paid for college educations, nice cars, apartments, etc through exotic dancing AND DOING NOTHING "ENTERTAINING" FURTHER THAN THAT.

Besides, is everyone aware of some of the petty things that are sold, especially to Americans, sometimes at what seem to me ridiculously high prices, on Ebay?

THANK GOODNESS, at least he didn't start yet another thread asking "Can I thru-hike the AT with under $1000?" Oy vey! :) At least, he has some idea what it costs do do a rather financially comfortable AT thru-hike. The desired $4500 also takes into consideration replacement gear that some who embark on long thru-hikes fail to financially account for.

I once thought this exact same thing when a college friend in the late 80's told me his family sold bottled water, NOT bubbly mineral gourmet water with a fancy French or Italian name or packaged in an unusually shaped bottle either, just "SPRING" and "PURIFIED" tap water in plastic bottles. With an ignorant snicker and a big laugh, I said to him, "isn't tap water already purified?' By the time the two of us moved on to furthering our college educations his family sold off their bottled water biz to a larger well recognized bottled water company in access of 3 million dollars(that's in 1988 dollars too)! Have you ever seen the avg annual growth in the last 25 yrs in terms of the number of consumers and total annual sales in the U.S. in the bottled water industry? Suppose my college friend could do some snickering and laughing at the attitude I once had about bottled water.

Personally, I wish him the best in getting the money needed to complete an AT thru-hike and I wouldn't bet against him finishing his thru-hike once he does get the money either!

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 17:17
Find t amusing that the "peasant food" my grandmother made is now yuppie "foodie" dining. ;) - Mags

One of my Italian friends and Sicilian friends(he makes it a pt to say he's Sicilian if you say he's Italian) say the same things. The food that was found growing as weeds in Sicily or considered "peasant foods" are now considered hoity toity expensive gourmet foods demanding high prices elsewhere.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 17:36
He is an average guy who thinks he has an Iron will and no quit mentality, like many others he should prove his toughness on the trails but not at the expense of some naive companion.

AGAIN, assuming all is as it's been presented by him, yes and no. I respectfully partially agree with you Kookork. Again, he's proving ON THE TRAILS that he can do 15 miles per day with a 30 lb pack on his back. Iron will and no quit mentality surely seems so! Average guy - NO! Being healthy and physically in shape(works out TWICE A DAY!, although not necessarily mutually inclusive though), especially at his level, are really not so average in America anymore. Nor is it so average to be accepted to a college and EARN a college degree. If somone is naive enough to drop $4500 and NOT HAVE A FULL UNDERSTANDING of what they might get in return well the naivety and foolishness is on the person's shoulders shelling out the do re mi not the one seeking the $4500.

k2basecamp
03-30-2013, 19:08
Hey, that was me in the Patagonia shirt and yes, that was NOT my daughter !

A few weeks ago, Mrs Mags and I made use of a very generous gift card we received to a local fancy schmancy restaurant. Everything you need to know about the food is this: They sold a tiny bowl of "pasta fagioli " for $40! That's "macaroni and beans". Something Grandma made and for $40, you can make a hell of a lot. ;) Despite Grandma's lack of a James Beard award, I also guarantee her dish was many times better. Find t amusing that the "peasant food" my grandmother made is now yuppie "foodie" dining. ;)

Anyway, in this place we see a woman in her late 20s. she was wearing a thigh high dress that was also low cut paired with tall, black leather boots.

Her "companion" wa a gentleman in his mid to late 60s. Dresed in what I call Boulder dress casual (mountain khakis, fleece vest , button down shirt from Prana, Patagonia or similar)

Adrianna made the comment that it seemed inappropriate to dress like that for a night out with her father.

I smiled and said "Hon, I doubt that's her father" :)

Mags
03-30-2013, 20:50
Hey, that was me in the Patagonia shirt and yes, that was NOT my daughter !

Boulder from New Hampha' is a heck a long way to go for some very expensive and mediocre food. Have you considered Boston? Closer AND better food. More colleges to choose from, too. ;)

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 21:40

Dear mirola87,

- richmondhokie89

Here is the response:

Dear richmondhokie89,

- mirola87

This person's (probably a male but could be a female) ENTIRE two paragraph reply is a TEXTBOOK example of what a SCAM ARTISTS does and says. He knew how to appeal to me too. This person has done their SCAM ARTIST homework, probably by sharpening their profiling SCAM ARTIST'S SKILLS right here on WB. This person is a seasoned SOLICITING MONEY SCAM ARTIST. This SCAMMER might come back out of the woodwork SOLICITING MONEY under other pretexts so BEWARE.

Two SPOT ON questions Richmondhokie89 that should be answered by both parties and mutually agreed upon before the exchange of any money and certainly before embarking on any hike together, especially a long distance thru-hike like the AT. First, no REAL guarantee can be given by EITHER party that either will finish an AT thru-hike. That's why some arrangements should be made considering those contingencies. For example, if the person paying the money(payer) quits Mike Laura(the payee) gets his full $4500 amount. If the party seeking the $4500(payee) isn't able to finish the payer protects himself in that scenario by paying in installments rather than in one total up front $4500 fee. Sounds like Mike is already understanding some of that but doesn't go into detail about it in his initial sale's pitch on Ebay.

I like what he says here, "I... have pushed myself beyond my comfort zone many times to accomplish things. I feel that there is a huge lack of that type of self discipline in the world today and it disgusts me. If there is someone kind enough to go out of there way and rely on me to complete this trail with them, then I will most definitely not let them down." MAYBE, he is genuine about that and, then again, MAYBE he's just telling those who might appeal to the offer what they want to hear!

Let's add some other potentially positive characteristics he brings to the table - passion, love of the outdoors, his desire to share the AT thru-hiking experience, NOT to be a FINANCIAL burden to people who CAN NOT afford giving or paying him $4500, etc If you can't afford to give or pay him to hike with you, which means you ARE NOT whom he is addressing with the offer, than WHY pull him apart? Is he hurting anyone with the offer? I really can't see the harm in having him make the offer or seeking the funds!

My take on things. He probably just threw this unbaited hook out there to see if he could get any fat wallet fish to bite.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 21:42
I missposted some info on my last post. ALL that needed to be said is contained in my FIRST paragraph.

TheYoungOne
04-01-2013, 14:48

Dear mirola87,

- richmondhokie89

Here is the response:

Dear richmondhokie89,

- mirola87

You know what if he was willing to work my job for 5 Months while I Thru hiked the AT, I would gladly give him $4500. :-?

Hikes in Rain
04-05-2013, 06:50
And once again, no sale. Maybe he should drop the price.