PDA

View Full Version : Help with Smokies

Indiana Camper
03-13-2013, 13:30
Hopefully this is not too last minute. My wife and I are visiting Gatlinburg the first week of April. It's mostly a camping trip but we would like to do 2 nights backpacking as well. Putting together a loop would be preferred but if not I'm sure we could find a shuttle.
I'd like to do about 10 miles a day. Obviously cool scenery will be nice. I know many camp sites require reservations/permits. I would rather tent it than stay in a shelter.
So any ideas?

Thanks

Ewker
03-13-2013, 13:56
all campsites require a permit now. Go here to get your permit https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1

The Solemates
03-13-2013, 17:21
hundreds of scenic options that you could make weekend loops out of. heres my 3 favorites:

gregory bald/cades cove
leconte/charlie's bunion
mt cammerer firetower/cosby knob/big creek

ladytaz
03-13-2013, 17:57
Cataloochee is a nice area. It just takes a little while to get out there. Its over here on my side of the mountain in NC http://www.smokies.ws/cataloochee/index.html

Violent Green
03-13-2013, 18:46
"mt cammerer firetower/cosby knob/big creek"

Just did this loop on 3/8-3/10. It's a total of about 37miles. Fantastic views as most of the time you are above 5,000 feet. There was lots of snow on the AT when we were up there, so just use gaiters if you have them. Lots of places had over 2 feet on the trail. First day was ~10 miles, 2nd day ~14, last day ~12 miles. You won't be disappointed with this one.

p.s. - I recommend you descend the Baxter Creek Trail instead of ascend.

Ryan

T-Rx
03-13-2013, 19:37
hundreds of scenic options that you could make weekend loops out of. heres my 3 favorites:

gregory bald/cades cove
leconte/charlie's bunion
mt cammerer firetower/cosby knob/big creek

All of the above are great hikes with very nice scenery and views. Also, the twenty mile ranger station is a nice area for a 2 night trip, but I am not sure of the convenience to Gatlinburg given the temporary closing of Hwy 441. If you need a shuttle in Gatlinburg I would recommend A Walk in the Woods shuttle service. My wife and I have used them 3 or 4 times and they are knowledgeable, very nice and have always been on time for us. Have a great hike.

wornoutboots
03-13-2013, 22:06
You can park at the Microtel & hike right out of Gatlinburg up the Roaring Fork Motor Trail to #32 then up Brushy Mountain trail to LeConte Shelter then come back down Rainbow Falls trail to Gatlinburg or come down the Alum Cave Trail (Which I highly suggest) with that trail, you'll have to hitch back into Gatlinburg. But if you saying "mostly a camping trip" you can look for a loop out of your base camp area, where is that going to be?

Gray Blazer
03-13-2013, 22:14

Ryan

That's a heLL of an ascent. 4000 ft in 6 miles. You do get up high pretty fast.

elmotoots
03-13-2013, 23:29
Camp at cades cove campground.

Then drive to back of cades cove and to forge creek road.

Hike up to campsite 12 the first night short hike but will help you get to the top next day.

Day two get up and hike on up to Greagory Bald to campsite 13, it is a beautiful campsite.

This will allow you to spend all evening on Greagory Bald, and enjoy the views of Cades Cove for a long time.

The third morning you should be able to hike all the way back down the MT to you car fairly easy, and drive out of the cove.

really nice views

The Solemates
03-14-2013, 09:14

Just did this loop on 3/8-3/10. It's a total of about 37miles. Fantastic views as most of the time you are above 5,000 feet. There was lots of snow on the AT when we were up there, so just use gaiters if you have them. Lots of places had over 2 feet on the trail. First day was ~10 miles, 2nd day ~14, last day ~12 miles. You won't be disappointed with this one.

Ryan

big creek to low gap to cosby knob to the AT to chestnut branch is like 16 miles (including the side trips to the shelter and to the firetower), which is close to the 20 miles the original thread wanted....

That's a heLL of an ascent. 4000 ft in 6 miles. You do get up high pretty fast.

....and the ascent is not that bad. I've done this trip half a dozen times - great weekend trip just off the interstate. I usually show up after dark on a friday night, spend the first night at big creek campsite, and sat night at cosby knob, and am home sunday afternoon. not to mention this leisurely itenerary gives you plenty of time to play around during the day on saturday.

The Solemates
03-14-2013, 09:20

Hike up to campsite 12 the first night short hike but will help you get to the top next day.

Day two get up and hike on up to Greagory Bald to campsite 13, it is a beautiful campsite.

This will allow you to spend all evening on Greagory Bald, and enjoy the views of Cades Cove for a long time.

The third morning you should be able to hike all the way back down the MT to you car fairly easy, and drive out of the cove.

really nice views

I do a similar trip. I hike out of forge creek road, spend the first night on top of Gregory Bald. The next day I hike to Spence Field. Drop my pack and continue to Thunderhead. Go back to Spence Field for the night. Take Bote Mtn/Anthony Cr back down the next day. Hitch a ride back to Forge Cr.

here's a write up: http://www.amongnature.blogspot.com/2012/01/gregory-bald-rocky-top-thunderhead.html

flemdawg1
03-14-2013, 11:08
Big Creek-Walnut Bottoms-Mt Sterling- Big Creek -16.6 miles

MrMiner2
03-14-2013, 13:19
Not nervous leaving your pack unoccupied?

Violent Green
03-14-2013, 13:33
big creek to low gap to cosby knob to the AT to chestnut branch is like 16 miles (including the side trips to the shelter and to the firetower), which is close to the 20 miles the original thread wanted....

He said 2 nights, not 20 miles. 20 miles is an overnight trip - Hike 10mi Friday, sleep Friday night, hike 10mi out Saturday for example. I assumed a hike in on Friday, hike Saturday, hike out Sunday itinerary.

Ryan

Indiana Camper
03-14-2013, 15:01
I'm not even sure yet where we will do our actual "camping". We may even move around and do a couple different camp grounds. This trip really is spur of the moment. My wife is a teacher and we were originally just going to stay home for her Spring break.
Neither of us have been to this area in over 10 years and we've never been there together. I've done a decent amount of backpacking but most trips have been 1 week or less. My navigation skills are decent but I'll be honest. With so many trails intersecting each other I do have a slight fear of getting slightly misplaced (hate to use the word lost..ha ha).
I'd like to stick to campsites as opposed to a shelter due to us sharing my JRB Katahdin quilt. I believe a tent would be less breezy and no chance of a mouse joining us for the night.
Basically I'm looking for 20-30 miles with 2 to 3 nights. I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm going to break out the map again tonight and check some of this out. I assume the camp site permits are for specific dates? Since we're going to be down there 7 nights total I would like to have some flexibility in case the day we planned on starting out it is pouring rain or something. Any idea how busy some of these camp sites will be the first week of April?

Thanks again and sorry for all the random questions.

rtfi
03-14-2013, 15:15
Here is a loop hike out of Newfound Gap I plan to take this fall with some Boy Scouts:
Day 1: Hike of 8.2 miles (Appalachian Trail, Dry Sluice Gap Trail, Grassy Branch Trail), stay overnight Horace Kephart Shelter.
Day 2: Hike of 5.4 miles (Sweat Heifer Creek Trail, Appalachian Trail) back to Newfound Gap.
Highlight is seeing Charlie’s Bunion.

The Solemates
03-15-2013, 15:11
This trip really is spur of the moment.

not really :) spur of the moment grabbing the pack to head out friday afternoon for a weekend trip, which is often the way I tend to do it :)

Indiana Camper
03-15-2013, 18:09

really nice views

I like this. Would getting water on days 2 and 3 be an issue?

sliderule
03-15-2013, 19:30

No.

--------------

elmotoots
03-15-2013, 19:40
Plenty of water at campsite 12.

The water at campsite 13 is on down the trail towards parson branch road I believe.

You could carry empty bottles and fill them at campsite 12 If you are worried.

If you have never been to Greagorys Bald you will love it, After you see the views plan on going back in Mid to late June to see the Azaleas blooming.

HooKooDooKu
03-15-2013, 19:41
If you are looking for 10 mile days, I don't think this is the hike for you.
I'm a relatively out-of-shape guy and look for 5-7 mile per day hikes (8 and above is getting L O N G for me). Last year, me and my son did the hike from campsite 12 to 13. It was so short that even stopping for lunch at Moore Spring, we still got to the campsite before lunch. Because we had both been to Gregory Bald, we decided to go on home that day and just go fishing the next day back at home rather than spend the next day getting home.

However, I LOVE hiking to Gregory Bald and greatly recommend it.

So if you really want a real two day hike, and you want to make it a loop, and you're willing to drive to 20 Mile area, I would suggest making a loop out of 20 Mile Ranger Station to campsite 113 (stopping at Shuckstack fire tower for lunch). Then on day 2 hike on to campsite 13 (stopping at Moore Spring for lunch and to water up).

Camp site 13 has water, but it is a small trickle that you have to hike DOWN Gregory Bald Trail a distance of 250 yards to reach. Rather that hiking down to that water hole, it is much nicer to fill up at Moore Spring on the way up. To get to Moore Spring, there is an unmarked trail at the intersection of Long Hungary Ridge, Gregory Bald, and Gregory Ridge Trail (the trail markers have H20 and an arrow scratched into it pointing the way). It's about a 1/2 mile hike to the Spring. Eat lunch there and then fill up your water for dinner. To get back to the trail, simply hike up hill from Moore Spring until you run into Gregory Bald trail (some where between that intersection I just listed and the Bald).

The other two night loops that I've done with Gregory Bald are:
1. 20 Mile Ranger Station to Camp Site 92, then 92 to 13, then Wolf Ridge back to 20 Mile Ranger Station
2. Drive down Parson's Branch Road. Park where Gregory Bald Trail/Hanna Mtn Trail intersect the road. Hike the 3 miles back down Parson's Branch Road to Gregory Ridge Trail Head, then hike up Gregory Ridge to Camp site 12. The next day, hike up to Gregory Bald and camp site 13. The next day, hike down Gregory Bald trail back to your car (it's only 4 miles back out, and this is the way we bailed after 1 night).

wornoutboots
03-15-2013, 20:33
I'm not even sure yet where we will do our actual "camping". We may even move around and do a couple different camp grounds. This trip really is spur of the moment. My wife is a teacher and we were originally just going to stay home for her Spring break.
Neither of us have been to this area in over 10 years and we've never been there together. I've done a decent amount of backpacking but most trips have been 1 week or less. My navigation skills are decent but I'll be honest. With so many trails intersecting each other I do have a slight fear of getting slightly misplaced (hate to use the word lost..ha ha).
I'd like to stick to campsites as opposed to a shelter due to us sharing my JRB Katahdin quilt. I believe a tent would be less breezy and no chance of a mouse joining us for the night.
Basically I'm looking for 20-30 miles with 2 to 3 nights. I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm going to break out the map again tonight and check some of this out. I assume the camp site permits are for specific dates? Since we're going to be down there 7 nights total I would like to have some flexibility in case the day we planned on starting out it is pouring rain or something. Any idea how busy some of these camp sites will be the first week of April?

Thanks again and sorry for all the random questions.

Do your camping at Cosby CG & hit MT Cammerer FT & your set

Indiana Camper
03-15-2013, 22:08
Dang guys you're not making this easy...ha ha. I'll have to talk to my wife and figure out what kind of distance we really want to do. She would be content staying at a cabin with a hot tub so I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks

Indiana Camper
03-17-2013, 20:05
If you are looking for 10 mile days, I don't think this is the hike for you.
I'm a relatively out-of-shape guy and look for 5-7 mile per day hikes (8 and above is getting L O N G for me). Last year, me and my son did the hike from campsite 12 to 13. It was so short that even stopping for lunch at Moore Spring, we still got to the campsite before lunch. Because we had both been to Gregory Bald, we decided to go on home that day and just go fishing the next day back at home rather than spend the next day getting home.

However, I LOVE hiking to Gregory Bald and greatly recommend it.

So if you really want a real two day hike, and you want to make it a loop, and you're willing to drive to 20 Mile area, I would suggest making a loop out of 20 Mile Ranger Station to campsite 113 (stopping at Shuckstack fire tower for lunch). Then on day 2 hike on to campsite 13 (stopping at Moore Spring for lunch and to water up).

Camp site 13 has water, but it is a small trickle that you have to hike DOWN Gregory Bald Trail a distance of 250 yards to reach. Rather that hiking down to that water hole, it is much nicer to fill up at Moore Spring on the way up. To get to Moore Spring, there is an unmarked trail at the intersection of Long Hungary Ridge, Gregory Bald, and Gregory Ridge Trail (the trail markers have H20 and an arrow scratched into it pointing the way). It's about a 1/2 mile hike to the Spring. Eat lunch there and then fill up your water for dinner. To get back to the trail, simply hike up hill from Moore Spring until you run into Gregory Bald trail (some where between that intersection I just listed and the Bald).

The other two night loops that I've done with Gregory Bald are:
1. 20 Mile Ranger Station to Camp Site 92, then 92 to 13, then Wolf Ridge back to 20 Mile Ranger Station
2. Drive down Parson's Branch Road. Park where Gregory Bald Trail/Hanna Mtn Trail intersect the road. Hike the 3 miles back down Parson's Branch Road to Gregory Ridge Trail Head, then hike up Gregory Ridge to Camp site 12. The next day, hike up to Gregory Bald and camp site 13. The next day, hike down Gregory Bald trail back to your car (it's only 4 miles back out, and this is the way we bailed after 1 night).

113 and 13 it is. I just made reservations. Thank you again to everybody for all the help. We will be doing a couple day trips too. I'm trying to remember what I liked down there years ago. I remember really enjoying the Chimney Tops. Any reason we should/shouldn't do that one day?

Siestita
03-18-2013, 05:57
Coming from Indiana, you may, or perhaps may not, have recently done much backpacking in mountainous terrain. If not, consider possibly dialing back your expectations concerning how many mountain miles you'll cover each day. In other words, if ten miles a day is currently "just right" for you amid the hill of southern Indiana, consider paring back to perhaps six or seven miles in the Smokies.

As you'll see from the reservations web site, Smokies permits (for both shelters and campsites) are for specific dates. The Park's wonderful new permit reservation system appears to cater exclusively to people who can access it from the web, but not (Horror of horrors, why would anyone ever be there?) from a Smokies camp ground or ranger station.

In April, especially during the work week, there will undoubtedly be some nice back country camp sites not reserved. So, your challenge might be getting access to the permitting process on the fly. Consider calling the the Park's "Back Country Information Office" to inquire whether or not any permits are still issued at the Sugarlands Visitor Center. (If the Park Service can't even accomplish that simple task there any more, arguably its become pretty pathetic.)

There are other exceptional places to backpack located just south of GSMNP, immediately north of the Park, or further northbound on the AT at Roan Mountain or the Grayson Highlands. The entire region gets lots of rain (and sometimes some snow) in April, but the Grayson Highlands, on average, receive less precipitation than the Smokies get. Also, if you opt to make Damascus, VA or Grayson Highlands State Park your base of operations (instead of Gatlinberg), you'll find at your disposal forest service campgrounds, indoor accommodations (in Damascus), and splendid back country camp sites. Permits are not required there, in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, so you could potentially adjust your activities somewhat there, responding to weather conditions.

Siestita
03-18-2013, 06:24
Indiana Camper--While I was writing my post, you were making your reservation. Enjoy Gregory Bald.

Indiana Camper
03-18-2013, 07:12
Very good point. Thanks.