PDA

View Full Version : down vs. synthetic for 2013

jcheil
03-13-2013, 16:16
Ok, so I have searched and read a lot of past posts on this website, including the article on here about down vs synthetic, but that is rather dated (2009).

Are there any new advances in synthetics that are better yet as far as warmth vs. weight vs. cost? if so, what is the best for 2013?

Also, I am a cold sleeper, and would rather be hot than cold (Florida boy here). I find myself at home under the blankets even when it is 80 degrees out. Therefore, I REALLY want to make the best choice, regardless of an extra pound or two that I stay warm no matter what.

Thanks for your technical or real world opinions.

leaftye
03-13-2013, 16:31
If you want to sleep hot, synthetic insulation might be better for you because you'll sweat a lot and a lot of that sweat will condense within the insulation. Down can take a lot of moisture, but it will probably get cooler faster than synthetic insulation, and it'll certainly take longer to dry. The problem is weight. While most people can probably get away with a 15-20°F bag, you'll probably be carrying a very heavy 0°F synthetic bag. One way around this is to go with a vapor barrier down backpacking quilt. That will allow you to have a very light sleeping solution that will be just as warm in the morning no matter how much you sweat. It has something drawbacks, but it might be worth it.

Venchka
03-13-2013, 17:13
You make 2009 sound like the Dark Ages.
There are down bags on the market that eliminate the side baffle block. This allows a certain amount of down shifting between the top and bottom halves of the bag. In use, this means that a bag with 6" of loft (roughly a 10-15 degree bag) can have less loft on top in the summer & more loft on top in the winter. It's quite easy do shift the down. In changing weather, you could do it every evening.
6" loft down bags can be had that weigh 2 pounds. Maybe less if you shop long enough.
The synthetic insulation folks have been trying to equal down for decades. they aren't there yet.

Wayne

MrMiner2
03-13-2013, 17:32
Any suggestions on specific bags?

leaftye
03-13-2013, 19:54
You make 2009 sound like the Dark Ages.

I don't know about 2009, but I haven't seen a change in CLO/oz since 2010. Just name changes and different thicknesses.

Venchka
03-13-2013, 21:09
Any suggestions on specific bags?

I am quite partial to Western Mountaineering. I am sure that they build a bag to suit your needs.

Wayne