PDA

View Full Version : how much food?

Thumper 2006
06-21-2005, 21:51
I was looking in the articles posted by Jack, but I wanted to know about how much food would you start off with from Harpers ferry hiking North? I was thinking about four days but am not sure.

fiddlehead
06-21-2005, 22:19
Depends on things like: how much food do you want to carry? (you can resupply almost daily in that area if you want) how many miles do you plan? are you into stopping in towns whenever you can? are you into hitchiking? it is totally: UP TO YOU!

Thumper 2006
06-22-2005, 03:39
I want to stop as much as possible, but I do not want to have to stop in every single spot there is. I just want to know how much food most hikers carrry from there

Thumper 2006
06-22-2005, 03:40
Sorry, I do not want to stop, I want to hike as much as possible before having to stop

Peaks
06-22-2005, 07:23
Well, after doing all your research, you need to think about where you want to resupply next. Then, how many days is it going to take you to hike there. Everyone does the AT differently. No one answer suits all. Some people prefer to go off the AT almost every day for resupply. Others like to go off the AT as little as possible, and therefore carry more days food with them.

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 09:00
I was looking in the articles posted by Jack, but I wanted to know about how much food would you start off with from Harpers ferry hiking North? I was thinking about four days but am not sure.=================================
For what it's worth, on my thru in 2003 I carried 4 - 5 days of food out of Harpers and resupplied at Fayetteville, PA (US 30). About 3 miles or so into town and not a bad hitch. Not exactly a "hiker" town but they've got all the necessary amenities. I bought food, did my laundry and hitched back out to the trail crossing in about 2 - 3 hours. Ironically, at the US 30 road crossing you hike into Calendonia State Park, where I stumbled into a group of folks doing a hiker feed. Naturally I stopped and graciously accepted their offering and in fact I ended up spending the night at their campsite. Made that re-supply coming out of Fayetteville last a bit longer.

'Slogger
AT 2003