PDA

View Full Version : Stuff Sacks

Hatteras Jack
03-14-2013, 02:54
I was wondering what everyone's stuff sack system is. I've got sort of an idea of what I'll do, but I'm definitely open to criticism and advice. So far I think I'll have one for my cookset, one for food, one for clothing, and I'm thinking about one for my "communication kit": phone, bluetooth keyboard, batteries. And what about something like an Ursack so those critters don't get in my food bag? I know, I know, HYOH. But sometimes I would like you all to just tell me what to do :D

In summary, there's my proposed system, and I'd like to hear about yours. Also brands would be nice! Thanks.

daddytwosticks
03-14-2013, 07:13
Add up the weight of all those sacks...you may be very surprised. :)

Tuckahoe
03-14-2013, 07:15
I just use a bag for my clothes and a bag for my food. My tent and sleeping bag go into the bags they came in. Otherwise, my small stuff just go into small ziplock bags in the pack pockets.

slbirdnerd
03-14-2013, 09:32
I like an assortment of Ziplock (not generic) bags for compartmentalizing stuff, I have a Sea to Summit dry bag for food (13L for now, may go bigger), Sea to Summit mesh bag for my Sawyer Squeeze. Cook set came in a self-containing coozie. Right now I have clothes in the stuff sack my sleeping bag came in because the inside is fleece--you turn it around and put your clothes back in, it's a pillow. It's not a dry bag though, so that might change. This guy has a nicely organized system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CyWAfhIeE.

FarmerChef
03-14-2013, 10:08
My clothes go in a Thermarest reversible pillow stuff sack. Previously it was a gallon size ziploc but that microfiber feels so nice...

Tarp gets scrunched up inside a tyvek stuff sack (I sew these myself since I have a whole roll...)

Cook kit goes in a simple tyvek stuff sack with a roll top (just scrunch it up and stuff something on top of it)

Medical and hygiene supplies go in a wal-mart nylon stuff sack (I know, heavy)

Phone, batteries, maps, paper, etc. all go in a quart size freezer bag in my outside pocket. This is to keep them dry and I've never had the bag fail yet. Even so, I bring an extra just in case.

Everything else including the aforementioned stuff sacks go into my biggest stuff sack of all, a plastic trashbag pack liner. This is my defense against wet weather and it works like a charm. All other items on the outside of my pack (pockets, etc.) are either waterproof or put into little ziploc snack bags (gorp, for instance).

Oh, food is gratuitously huge since I'm packing for 5 + the dog. My wife and I split it and it goes inside ziploc bags inside plastic grocery bags. The grocery bags make it easy to get the food out of the pack when we hit camp and can be organized by day or meals or whatever. Plus, once they're used up they become poo bags for the dog who then carries them. That's my system.

Canam
03-14-2013, 11:55
There are some good posts in this thread as well: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91884-Compression-bags-stuff-sacks-dry-bags

Dogwood
03-14-2013, 13:03
I was wondering what everyone's stuff sack system is. I've got sort of an idea of what I'll do, but I'm definitely open to criticism and advice. So far I think I'll have one for my cookset, one for food, one for clothing, and I'm thinking about one for my "communication kit": phone, bluetooth keyboard, batteries. And what about something like an Ursack so those critters don't get in my food bag? I know, I know, HYOH. But sometimes I would like you all to just tell me what to do :D

In summary, there's my proposed system, and I'd like to hear about yours. Also brands would be nice! Thanks.

Uhh, not everything is a system. Maybe, you have been paying too much attention to advertisements.:D

I don't like having small items in or hanging off the outside of my pack to be accountable for so I do use stuff sacks to organize most things that I carry. I'm also gear wt conscious(including stuff sack wt) BUT NOT at the expense of other perhaps more important factors such as function, durability, kit integration, etc. My current stuff sack arsenal is currently being revised though as some of my more heavier stuff sacks wear out so if your UL anal my current stuff sack system has the potential to drop maybe 2 or 3 ozs. Had to say that because I know someone will bring up the wt of stuff sacks offering lighter wt options. Although, my cuben, eVent, and spinnaker sacks are already some of the lightest around.

My Snow Peak Mini Soloist cookset came with a mesh stuff sack. Everything I need for cooking including a homemade alchy or MSR Micro Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak Giga or SP Max Lite iso burner, fuel, foldable spork, spectra bear bagging cord, lighter, and whatever else I can cram in the pot goes into it. The stock mesh sack does ocassionally need replacing though.

My sleeping bag stuff sacks came with the sleeping bag. They are nylon and have to be DAMN TOUGH because all of them are very minimalist in size for the sleeping bag volume putting lots of stress on the fabric and seams. In VERY WET climes I'll sometimes double that up with a plastic bread bag OR if I'm on a trek where I have a bit more usable volume in my pack I'll just go with a SLIGHTLY larger plastic bag and loosely store my sleeping bag instead of jamming it into the stock nylon stuff sack. I've also chosen to apply a quality DWR to my all my nylon stock DOWN sleeping bag stuff sacks. If I looked around a bit more I think this is the main place where I could possibly save another oz or two in stuff sack wt. Saving stuff sack wt is just not a huge priority at this time. ALL my sleeping bags are high end most often down BIG ticket gear items that with my hiking style are my main piece of insulation so I aim to safely protect them. Sleeping bags are my biggest ticket pieces of gear on nearly every trek. I'll sometimes work a pack liner into the mix if it makes sense.

My current go to food sacks on long hikes are the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil sacks made of 30D Cordura or possibly the Granite Gear eVent Sil sacks. Both are so water resistant that I would say they border on being labeled waterproof. I bear bag my food in these. Sometimes, like when bears are a noted issue, I'll throw into the mix an Opsack which are odor and water proof heavy duty plastic food storage bags. Obviously, if I'm in a severe bear issue area or it's bear canister required I ditch the food sacks and just go with one of my bear canisters. On the AT if very concerned about critters adding an Opsack might be a lighter wt option for you than an Ursack especially if you are also using the Ursack metal liner. Sounds like it really depends on how deep your critter concerns are though and how UL advanced you want to roll with. Yeah, DaddyTwoSticks is right. If you are extremely wt concerned all these sack wts do add up!

The rest of my sacks are all minimalist UL or light wt, fine mesh and, I think, .54 cuben, .73 spinnaker, or 3 ply eVent. Rarely, unless I'm on a trek with a VERY HIGH probability of consistent wet weather, do I carry a sack for clothing because it's my hiking goal to be wearing as much of my clothing(all) as often as possible. Often, like when it's not raining, anything I'm not wearing is stuffed SAFELY in the outside stretchy mesh rear shovel or side pockets of my pack. Though, I do often carry a heavy duty plastic sandwich Ziploc for my cell ph, batteries, minimalist first aid kit, toothbrush, compact digital camera etc that I place in a small attached but removable heavy mesh bag that comes with the ULA packs I usually roll with, inside my pack at the top of it for easy access. I also like my packs to have zippered hip belt pockets for storing quick to access trail snacks, mP3 player, compact digital camera, an extra AAA battery, etc.

Turk6177
03-14-2013, 13:12
I keep my tent and poles in the bags they came in. I use a sea to summit water proof bag for my "dry clothes." I use a cuben fiber bag from Zpaks.com for my food. I have a waterproof stuff sack for my sleeping bag. I use ALok sacks (ziplock on steroids at REI) for my electronics (phone, camera). I have a small bag for my "junk drawer" which contains my first aid kit, toilet paper and alcohol wipes, head lamp, medicine, emergency fire starter (cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly and water proof matches), a spare mini bic lighter, and hand sanitizer. My cook set comes in its own bag which doubles as a sink (GSI Soloist). I keep all my "dry stuff" in a lawn and leaf bag in my backpack. I don't bother putting the tent, poles, cook set, sawyer squeeze filter, or my food bag into the lawn and leaf bag. I also use quite a few ziplock bags for organization. While I might carry a couple ounces more than someone who doesn't use this many sacks, I like having the organization of knowing what to reach into when I need a specific item. For example, if I have to use the privy, I just grab the junk drawer bag and march off to the privy. I know everything will be in there that I need, TP, maybe an alcohol wipe, and some hand sanitizer. I just find it convenient. I am in the process of trying to use cuben fiber sacks on everything, except my sleeping bag stuff sack, and my sea to summit bag for my dry clothes. Whatever you do with your stuff, you will find a system you like and will probably stick with it.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2013, 13:53
I have a Zip Lock I call my "BUMMER Bag" - that stands for Back-UP, Medical, Maintenance, Emergency, Repair". This has all those little things you don't need to use every day, and if you do need them, it's because something has gone wrong (a bummer!). Another Zip Lock is for toiletries that I do need every day (toothbrush, toothpaste, baby aspirin, TP, soap).

Like others, there is one bag for the sleeping bag, one for the food and one for clothes (like others, the clothes bag doubles as a pillow). Depending on what cook system I am using, I may not need a bag if everything fits inside. Depending on the pot, I've used a rubber band or small bungee to keep the lid and contents in place. Never weighed it to see if the bungee is heavier than a sack but I'm no gram weenie.

Feral Bill
03-14-2013, 13:58
If you must have the electronics, do get a thoroughly waterproof container.

Dogwood
03-14-2013, 14:13
I have a Zip Lock I call my "BUMMER Bag" - that stands for Back-UP, Medical, Maintenance, Emergency, Repair". - Odd Man Out

I like that - a BUMMER Bag. You must have be a engineer at NASA with all the acronyms. BTW, curious how did you get your trail name?

Odd Man Out
03-14-2013, 16:55
I like that - a BUMMER Bag. You must have be a engineer at NASA with all the acronyms. BTW, curious how did you get your trail name?

CHM Professor, not engineer. I grew up in the Washington DC suburbs, very close to NASA, NSA, USDA, NOL, NWR, etc.... Hence the propensity to use acronyms. OMO was my choice. When not hiking, I am the odd man out. When I am hiking I am an odd man out (so some might think).

alxflwrs
03-14-2013, 21:41

I'm constantly surprised at how little they all weigh and how water proof they are and even how well they help to organize my things.
Very surprised.

It's up to you to decide what to put in which bag so I won't bore you with the details of my break down, but basically:
USE THESE:
http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-nano-dry-sack
SOMETIMES THESE: (tent, sleeping bag)
http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-seam-sealed-stuff-sack
And NOT THESE: (they have a weird envelope shape rather than cylinder)
http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-dry-sack

The first ones are my favorite, and also the most expensive (and also the lightest.)
The second ones are great for things you want to keep dry and stuff down (tent and bags) but don't need absolutely water tight (they have a draw string and protective flap but not airtight).
The third ones I'm using backcountry's amazing return policy to return. Their envelope shape makes packing awkward, and they don't have a really water or even airtight seal. Air seeps in and fills the bag so it takes up more room than the item would have not being stuffed.

bubonicplay
03-15-2013, 00:15
Sts nano x2

Dogwood
03-15-2013, 02:49
I'm constantly surprised at how little they all weigh and how water proof they are and even how well they help to organize my things.
Very surprised. - alxflwrs

UL gear wonk time. Uhh, maybe that's true for the stuff sacks you use but maybe Daddy Two Sticks, when he said, "Add up the weight of all those sacks...you may be very surprised", was referring to the fact that the OP mentioned the Ursack which is more than 1 lb in either sized model with the optional aluminum insert and that still isn't an odor proof completely WP food sack set up! Even the Ursack Minor model without the aluminum insert is more than 5 oz.

Whether I've used a 4 L .7 oz STS Ultra Sil Nano dry stuff sack(GREAT stuff sack) or 4 L .9 oz STS Ultra Sil Dry stuff sack(Another GREAT stuff sack although MINIMALLY heavier, BY .2 OZ in the 4L size, it's maybe a tiny bit tougher than the Nano, IMO mostly in the seam strength) both are basically shaped the same, TO ME. Both are seam taped and have the same roll top closures making them WP as the STS advertising claims. IMO, BOTH need attention to pushing the air out from inside before closing up to avoid taking up extra space. I guess that's true for most seam taped truly WP fold down roll top closure stuff sacks made of less or non breathable fabric. These type of STS sacks I use for food(keeps my food dry and lets out less animal attracting odors) or for isolating dirty and wet clothing in my pack. I respectfully disagree about the later letting air seep in or not being truly WP. With both though you do have to fold over the top closures securely enough to make them WP on the top.

The stuff sacks I've used made of eVent or with eVent used in a hybrid fashion such as with just an eVent bottom which are still fully WP seem more breathable hence possibly having less of this ballooning issue IF it's an issue. With the WP Granite Gear eVent bottom sacks I can actually push air out after I've sealed it up. IMO, they are not that durable though. One recently purchased is already shredding. Maybe, it's because I push the air out after sealing thoroughly? :eek:

Since you mentioned this Alxflwrs, I don't typically use a Cuben stuff sack with fold down WP top closure as a fully WP stuff sack because Cuben doesn't breathe at all making them a bit puffy when sealed up no matter what care I take pushing the air out. All my entirely cuben stuff sacks have drawstring closures but are used in a non completely WP fashion.

Thanks for hearing this out(or not). Like I said I'm currently rethinking stuff sacks so the topic has been on my mind. Anyone got any suggestions based on what I've said let me have em.

jesse
03-15-2013, 03:33

I made all my stuff sacks out of sil-nylon. The weight is negligible.

Why would you take a keyboard?

Hatteras Jack
03-15-2013, 04:42
Why would you take a keyboard?

I read someone's trail journal where they used a bluetooth keyboard to journal on their phone at night. Easier than typing on the keypad!

daddytwosticks
03-15-2013, 07:22
I'm becomming more and more convinced that the use of a pack liner bag instead of numerous stuff sacks works best for me. I will use smaller ziplock bags to contain tiny items in my pack. If I were to go on a long hike, my opinion may change. Keep an open mind and try different techniques each time you go out. I've been hiking now for years and I constantly learn something every outing. :)

FatHead64
03-15-2013, 08:44
CHM Professor, not engineer. I grew up in the Washington DC suburbs, very close to NASA, NSA, USDA, NOL, NWR, etc.... Hence the propensity to use acronyms. OMO was my choice. When not hiking, I am the odd man out. When I am hiking I am an odd man out (so some might think).

Troll (like me) or Yooper?

I like stuff sacks. At least a few for things you want to grab and go do something with away from your pack.

Sara
03-15-2013, 09:01
I'm becomming more and more convinced that the use of a pack liner bag instead of numerous stuff sacks works best for me. I will use smaller ziplock bags to contain tiny items in my pack.

I'm also in the pack liner club.
I use the Zpacks Pack Liner Dry Bag because I wanted something more durable than a garbage bag.
I'm lazy and I prefer jamming everything into it.

I have a LiteTrail Odour Proof Bag in my food bag. I've only used it a couple times but so far it has worked. The real test will be using it against the critters in the Grand Canyon in May. :)

Odd Man Out
03-15-2013, 16:18
I'm becomming more and more convinced that the use of a pack liner bag instead of numerous stuff sacks works best for me...

I've thought about this. But don't you still need a separate bag for food and clothes? Does this strategy replace any stuff sack other than the one for the sleeping bag?

Troll (like me) or Yooper?...

Also a troll. But how many people on this site will think a troll is one who intentionally tries to start a flame war and has no idea what we are talking about?

FatHead64
03-15-2013, 16:21
I've thought about this. But don't you still need a separate bag for food and clothes? Does this strategy replace any stuff sack other than the one for the sleeping bag?

Also a troll. But how many people on this site will think a troll is one who intentionally tries to start a flame war and has no idea what we are talking about?

True dat - I guess we need to clarify Michigan Troll and see if that does it.

beaudetious
03-15-2013, 16:36
A couple of things to consider:

- 2 food bags
That way you can split it up logically and balance your pack better.

- Contractor grade liners instead of leaf and lawn bags

alxflwrs
03-16-2013, 11:59
Very surprised. - alxflwrs

UL gear wonk time. Uhh, maybe that's true for the stuff sacks you use but maybe Daddy Two Sticks...

Whether I've used a 4 L .7 oz STS Ultra Sil Nano dry stuff sack(GREAT stuff sack) or 4 L .9 oz STS Ultra Sil Dry stuff sack(Another GREAT stuff sack although MINIMALLY heavier, BY .2 OZ in the 4L size, it's maybe a tiny bit tougher than the Nano, IMO mostly in the seam strength) both are basically shaped the same, TO ME..

The stuff sacks I've used made of eVent or with eVent...

Since you mentioned this Alxflwrs, I don't typically use a Cuben stuff sack with fold down WP...

Thanks for hearing this out(or not). Like I said I'm currently rethinking stuff sacks so the topic has been on my mind. Anyone got any suggestions based on what I've said let me have em.

Maybe I misspoke. The STS Ultra Sil Dry Sack (non-nano) seems to have a couple models. I buy most of my gear online, and so I must have just gotten older models that are shaped like envelopes and have a really awkward shape. I would like the cylinder ones that are very similar/the same shape as the Nano model but alas I got the wrong ones. Free returns though! Hah.

I've never used eVent. I was always afraid water or air would get back into the vent (?) and they were always another 20$ and never on sale.

And did I mention cuben fiber sacks? I don't recall. The STS sacks don't seem to be cuben fiber, the seam sealed stuff sack is polyeurthane(?) and the others are the silicone-nylon.

alxflwrs
03-16-2013, 12:01
So, aside from STS stuff sacks, I just use quart (3-5) or gallon (1-2) sized freezer ziplocks. They're really thick, double zip-lock seal, and can compress all the air out of em.

Dogwood
03-16-2013, 15:08
..the real test will be using it against the critters in the Grand Canyon in May - Sara

GC, in some areas has smart aggressive mices, a few coyotes, and of course some scopions and shnakes. The GC mice are so smart and aggressive that some of them work part time for NASA. I've seen them do astonishing things at the GC. They can and wiil chew through things and if you hang any food bring or arrnge for some type of baffle on the line. Bears are ot usually a problem unless at one of the popular campgrounds on the S and N rims.

Maybe I misspoke. The STS Ultra Sil Dry Sack (non-nano) seems to have a couple models.- Aflxflwrs

LOL. I thought I too misspoke in my initial post describing the STS sacks I use because I too think STS has some very similar stuff sacks and/or has made some changes in their stuff sack line up in the past 3 yrs or so. Good to know we both can admit and relate that we sometimes can make mistakes.

Dogwood
03-16-2013, 15:10
Some of those eVent sacks can give me sticker shock. I think the cost of eVent may have come down some recently though.

garlic08
03-16-2013, 15:32
I never thought of stuff sacks as a "system". That sounds complicated. I got one for my food, and I could use a plastic grocery bag for that if I had to. The one I use for my clothes is a luxury because it makes a nice pillow, but that's not necessary.