PDA

View Full Version : Snow Pack and Advice

Logman2446
03-14-2013, 08:18
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew about the snow pack in Shenandoah National Park and if any of the snow from last week has melted yet? Also, given this weeks weekend forecast for the park, does anyone have any advice for hiking in the rain? Thanks.

B.B.
03-22-2013, 13:55
I am also wanting information on this. Planning to hike first week in April.

Lemni Skate
03-24-2013, 19:58

Well, Shenandoah is going to get about 10-12 inches tonight, and temps probably won't get to high, March 30 also has a good chance for snow so I'd be prepared for a good bit of snow to still be on ground (there was quite a bit left last weekend when I was up there, especially in areas sheltered from the sun. Where there's not snow there's gonna be plenty of mud. Cold, wet march this year.

Coffee
03-24-2013, 21:51
I spent a night on the Rose River loop on Friday and there was quite a bit of snow on the geound the next morning going up Hogcamp branch. It seems like the sheltered areas have accumulated snowpack from the winter. And of course Skyline Drive is closed again now for more snow... I'm hoping to go back for another trip soon but cold do without the slogging through snow ... A month from now it will all be gone anyway.

Coffee
03-24-2013, 21:54
Here are some pictures and a brief trip report ... Plenty of snow.

http://www.ramblinghiker.com/?p=153

richmondhokie
03-25-2013, 14:31

I am headed out to Compton Gap hiking SOBO to Big Meadows the first weekend in April - hoping for warmer nights than we have had of late....and NO SNOW

BryceandFozzie
03-29-2013, 13:15
I just returned from Thornton gap north to Compton gap. much of the trail was covered in 5 inches of snow. I hiked most of it on skyline drive

Coffee
03-29-2013, 13:22
I just returned from Thornton gap north to Compton gap. much of the trail was covered in 5 inches of snow. I hiked most of it on skyline drive

Wow, that's more than I want to hike in this weekend... I'll have to look at some other ideas at lower elevation.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 13:35
Is there really any snowpack on the east coast?

(Snow cave. Pyramid Pk, Tahoe. 2011)

BryceandFozzie
03-29-2013, 21:40
Yeah I was prepared for cold but not snow :(