PDA

View Full Version : Must see stops between Bland, VA and Erwin, TN

FarmerChef
03-14-2013, 11:28
It's time to hit the trail again and our next section takes us from Mt. Rogers NRA HQ (Partnership shelter) down to Erwin. We're psyched to see the ponies but don't have a great idea of what else to keep an eye out for or a highly recommended campsite/shelter to stay at. On our trip to NY, Conn, Mass, VT you guys had some excellent recommendations and your recommendations easily met our expectations for awesomeness. This time I'm hoping you'll do me the favor and help us out again.

So far on my list:

Ponies
Overmountain Shelter (at least to see it)
Pizza in Damascus
Stay at Black Bear Resort

What else?

RED-DOG
03-14-2013, 11:44
you guys have a nice hike in front of you Graysosn Highlands is always a nice place to hike through, and remember that Larell Fork Falls is a great place to stop for lunch,but do stop at the barn for a night, and take in the views from Roan MT.

RED-DOG
03-14-2013, 11:49
Also i would stop at Kincora Hostel.

Lando11
03-14-2013, 12:02
Yes, you pretty much get the 2 best sections of the Southern AT, Grayson and Roan Highlands. Hell, those are 2 of my favorite sections of the entire AT. Watauga Lake has a good public beach to relax at on a nice day. Apparently, you can rent boats for the day there as well. I didn't do that, but knew a few people that did back in '11.

You also will pass a bunch of waterfalls, (like red-dog has mentioned) and Kincora is definite stop.

Overall, you'll love the section. I was hoping to do the same section this Spring but work is putting a damper on my fun!

Praha4
03-14-2013, 12:23
This was one of my favorite AT sections.

in addition to the highlights others mentioned, which were great:

*Roan High Knob Shelter is worth a stay, one of my favorite shelters, highest shelter on the entire AT as I think I read before.
*Mountain Harbor Hostel is a really cool place, they fix hikers the best breakfast you will ever have! Located just down the road from the AT crossing at RT 19E, north of Roan Mtn, and down the road from Roan Mtn, TN
*Laurel Fork Falls is awesome

have a great hike

Tennessee Viking
03-14-2013, 13:35
You will walk through Beauty Spot and Deep Gap. Roan Balds. Take the spur trail up to Grassy Ridge from the Roan Balds. Go as far as you can to the isolated bluff on the very south side if you have time. Overmountain Shelter. The Humps. Jones Falls. Kincora Hostel/Black Bear Resort. Laurel Fork Falls. Stay a night next to Nick Grinstaff Grave. Osborne Farm Tract. Damascus. Whitetop. Grayson Highlands.

Tuxedo
03-14-2013, 13:54
next time I do this area I'm gonna take the side trail to Backbone Rock just south of Damascus its a ways off the AT. You now to sees what I can see

I also saw a trail in this section with no sign and wondered where it went dont remember the blaze color but was a pastel color blaze nothing in the guide books at the time 06'. It just looked inviting if I may feel like Hansel and Gretal on the AT it was at that intersection.

Tennessee Viking
03-14-2013, 15:06
next time I do this area I'm gonna take the side trail to Backbone Rock just south of Damascus its a ways off the AT. You now to sees what I can see

I also saw a trail in this section with no sign and wondered where it went dont remember the blaze color but was a pastel color blaze nothing in the guide books at the time 06'. It just looked inviting if I may feel like Hansel and Gretal on the AT it was at that intersection.Backbone Trail is pretty steep. Its 2-3 miles from the AT to the Backbone Rock. But there is a USFS campground and short loop trail over the rock and over to a waterfall.

As for the other trail, what location was it. North or south of 421, or another section

Del Q
03-14-2013, 21:34
Timely thread, heading there on April 1st.............thanks!

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 21:53
Hurricane Mtn Shelter, is a really nice shelter & will set you a bypass of Old Orchard Shelter which has seen better days as you enter the Highlands. Hump Mnt is AMAZING has to be Incredible to night hike over or cowboy on if you hit it in ideal weather. I wouldn't stay in Thomas Knob but camp just North of it, there are some amazing campsites within 1/2 mile. The Place. Greasy Creek Friendly is a fun experience. Curley Maple Shelter just short of Erwin has the most amazing Owls I've heard on the trail. Enjoy, it is a GREAT Section!

Cookerhiker
03-14-2013, 22:16
In addition to everything that's already been mentioned, I liked Unaka Mountain. It's densely forested so you don't get many views but I liked the wildflowers and, closer to the top, the balsam firs which reminded me of the north.

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 22:42
In addition to everything that's already been mentioned, I liked Unaka Mountain. It's densely forested so you don't get many views but I liked the wildflowers and, closer to the top, the balsam firs which reminded me of the north.

+1 one on this!! I was going to mention Camping up there!! But most people get the Heebi Jeebi's hiking thru there & pick up their pace since that IS where Big Foot Lives :-?

Bronk
03-15-2013, 07:29
When camping in the Grayson Highlands I'd suggest camping just before you enter the park and then getting up the next morning and spending all day in the park, and then plan to exit the park and camp elsewhere. Reason being is that the ponies and deer are all very tame there and act like begging dogs...and I'm not exaggerating here. I sat at a picnic table eating my lunch and a deer literally stuck its nose 3 inches from my face as I was eating begging for food. There were 1/2 dozen deer crowded around the picnic table as several people were sitting eating and many others hanging out in the area. I remember walking down a big hill and watching a guy setting up his tent, getting his gear all situated and then watching a pony come over to his camp...it wouldn't leave him alone...by the time I finally got to the bottom he was packing his stuff up to move camp. The ponies and the tame deer are a neat experience, but I wouldn't want to camp in the middle of them. The park is also a huge tourist area. Its kind of like the smokies...most every place else on the trail the majority were thruhikers with a few section hikers...this place is a destination in itself and it was comparatively very crowded with weekend campers...dozens of other groups were camping there.

winger
03-15-2013, 10:02
I sorta disagree with Bronk regarding Grayson. I live about a hour or so from Grayson and often go up there to spend a few days, hiking and camping, and yes while the ponies can be a bit hard headed in trying to get a hand out, they quickly will give up begging IF they know they aren't getting a snack.
I had a younger one bite me on the knee, while I was sitting in camp, and he was persistent, but a gentle bonk on his forehead let him know that he needed to go elsewhere. He was thereafter known as Persnickety Pete.
I have been in Grayson in February one year when it was 15 degrees, and at many other times of year. I camp throughout the park, tent or hammock, and there are lots of places to get away from the Summer crowd, off and away from the trails.
There have been plenty of occasions when I didn't even see the ponies. Wish I could say the same for some of the "hikers" up there.

FarmerChef
03-15-2013, 10:48
I hope to at least poke our head in at Kincora and say hi to Bob. But we're hiking with a dog so we can't stay there. Black Bear will have to/get to be our hostel stay on this trip. Looks like a wonderful spot.