PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect yourself from critters when using just a tarp, lean-to, bag, etc?

todd52
03-14-2013, 17:59
I haven't been on this forum for a few days so I haven't had an opportunity to check my replies to other posts (which I will do shortly) but there is something I have been really concerned about and I want to get it "out there" really quick before I forget (my memory isn't all that good these days).

I have become, in hiking vernacular, what I believe is referred to as a "gram weanie". As I've mentioned before, I'm over 50, small and not in the best of shape. I have managed (through taking lots of advice here, reading, etc) to get my pack weight from 30LB's down to only about 17 (without food and water). I'll also be using a lightweight tarp, lean-to, mat and bag in the open air or, if allowed, even a small primative shelter. I no longer have my tent and don't plan to use a hammock or bivy (I have my own reasons).

Because I won't be completely enclosed in my shelter when sleeping, I was wondering if I need to be concerned about snakes, ants, scorpions, spiders and other whildlife that might decide to crawl into my shelter with me. Also, what might I do to minimize the risk of this happening (besides getting a tent/bivy/hammock)?. People in all sorts of situations - from cowboys to primative cultures and hunters have slept this way for years so there must be some way of protecting yourself from this sort of thing.

Mountain Mike
03-14-2013, 18:09
treat your groundcloth with permathin.

Coffee
03-14-2013, 18:44
I have a tent but have been considering the zPacks Hexamid ... Just about one pound with a full bug enclosure. It's not a cheap product but lightweight and with a barrier against bugs and critters...

MuddyWaters
03-14-2013, 21:01
I have become, in hiking vernacular, what I believe is referred to as a "gram weanie".
I have managed (through taking lots of advice here, reading, etc) to get my pack weight from 30LB's down to only about 17 (without food and water).

Your not a gram-weenie yet with a 17lb base wt

Not that many creepy-crawlies at night as you might think

Be careful where you setup (avoid antpiles, etc) and youll be fine

Just go sleep outside in your backyard a few nights, cowboy style. Youll see there isnt much to fear.

People in shelters arent enclosed either btw. They insist on a tent with bug inner, but dont mind sleeping unprotected in a shelter. Go figure.

Insects wont hurt you (much ) even if you get exposed to a few.
There are a few stories of snakes sleeping in sleeping bags with people on cold nights. They survived.
One guy on here posted once he had a skunk curl up on his feet,and a baby skunk in his beard, to stay warm. Made for an interesting night.

swjohnsey
03-14-2013, 21:21
You ain't gotta worry 'bout any of those thing. You do hafta to worry 'bout mosquitoes. ticks, blowin' rain and snow. A decent tent (like BA Flycreek UL1) weighs under two pounds. How much you figure a tarp, ground cloth and stakes will weigh?

stillatit
03-14-2013, 21:26
I was hiking on the PCT in S Calif back in the late 70s in May after a winter with very heavy snow. The snow pack was still about 10 feet deep. Our group slept out in the snow with just our sleeping bags. We each got a spot next to a giant rock so that we could get out of our bag in the morning and not step into the snow but onto the dry rock to eat and pack up. As I unzipped my bag in the morning, about 10 small black snakes came tumbling out and quickly slithered down into the little space between the snow and the rock. It all happened so fast that it took me a few seconds to realize what had gone on. They had sensed the warmth in my bag while I slept and had just taken advantage of it. They never bothered me, nor did I squish any of them with my tossing and turning in my bag during the night.

Of course, it may be a different story with the copperheads I've seen in the shelters on the AT...

:D

swjohnsey
03-14-2013, 21:45
And aligators!