PDA

View Full Version : Water contaner for smaller Steripen

Starchild
03-14-2013, 18:34
What are some light weight containers that work with the smaller Steripen. The larger one is happy with the standard and the smaller threaded water bottles but the little guy likes more room up top, so what works well (water tight threaded seal) and keeps the weight down.

Thanks

moldy
03-14-2013, 20:05
I use a 16 oz coke bottle

Deadeye
03-14-2013, 21:34
I don't know which Steripen you're using, but my method is to gather water in my cooking pot, use the pen, then pour into whatever bottle/container/person I want. Using the pot makes it easy to gather the water, and get a real thorough agitation/irradiation.

bfayer
03-14-2013, 23:07
I use a nalgene canteen. If you have not seen them, its like a platy with a large nalgene lid.

PosterNutbag
03-14-2013, 23:24
Dude... Thats a great, great idea. I just got a steri pen and was planning on using a plastic fiji water bottle cut on the top to have a pretty wide mouth, then pour it in. You just saved me some trouble and a few grams! :)

Starchild
03-15-2013, 08:04
I don't know which Steripen you're using, but my method is to gather water in my cooking pot, use the pen, then pour into whatever bottle/container/person I want. Using the pot makes it easy to gather the water, and get a real thorough agitation/irradiation.

I have been using the classic at 5.5 oz, which works with any bottle. I just got the 2.5 oz USB rechargeable one and since I am taking a external USB pack for my phone already and also don't purify my water all the time (such as spring sources) it looked like a great way to go. I am finding out that my container options are being limited by this and therefor potential weight/convenience savings too and when all is said and done I'm not sure if there will be any savings.

I have considered my cooking pot, which is a jetboil, and hence the problem, I will need to either disassemble it when I want to use it or leave it disassembled, which I do have a little concern with the stove's electronic ignition 'spark plug' getting damaged.

I use a nalgene canteen. If you have not seen them, its like a platy with a large nalgene lid.

I need to get one of these, sounds perfect.