PDA

View Full Version : What are the Orange Blazes?

Reverie
06-22-2005, 09:02
I was hiking around Standing Indian in N.C. this past weekend and encountered something I can't recall seeing before. There were blaze orange markings on trees but I can't figure out what they mean. Any ideas? Have I just been unobservant for 35 years and just missed it?

Reverie

tlbj6142
06-22-2005, 09:28
Not sure about the specific trail, but orange, red or burnt orange blazes are used quite often on non-AT trails I frequent. Those in metro parks, state parks, state forests, etc.

So, you were probably seeing a blaze from when a section of the trail was part of another "system". Or a section of the trail that overlapped with another trail.

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 09:49
You might have seen some sort of boundary markers, Wilderness areas are often marked with paint.

If you hike the Foothills Trail in SC you'll see paint on trees marking the boundary of the Chattaooga Wild & Scenic River lands. Much of the trail runs parallel to - and just outside of the Wild & Scenic River lands. Of course, the trail also runs right next to the river for a good long while.

Were these markings simple blazes, or were they rings around the entire tree?

Tha Wookie
06-22-2005, 09:49
Isn't that the Benton Mackaye Trail in that area with orange blazes? Like on Wayah Bald...

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 09:55
Out here you sometimes see orange blazes on trees that mark snowmobile/x-country ski routes in winter.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 09:57
Isn't that the Benton Mackaye Trail in that area with orange blazes? Like on Wayah Bald...

That would be the NC Bartram Trail along Wayah and Cheoah Bald - and those are yellow blazes.

The BMT crosses the AT several times within about 6 miles of Springer - and then again near Shuckstack in the Smokies. The BMT then connects to the AT at Davenport Gap. By the way, the BMT is blazed with white diamonds.

Tha Wookie
06-22-2005, 09:58
My guess was wrong. There is the Bartram Trail in that area, but it is yellow blazed.

The orange ones could be gameland bounadries or forest limits...

Tha Wookie
06-22-2005, 10:00
That would be the NC Bartram Trail along Wayah and Cheoah Bald - and those are yellow blazes.

The BMT crosses the AT several times within about 6 miles of Springer - and then again near Shuckstack in the Smokies. The BMT then connects to the AT at Davenport Gap. By the way, the BMT is blazed with white diamonds.
Man, I knew you'd get to it before I could correct myself. I was trying to type SO fast......

Rain Man
06-22-2005, 10:00
I'm guessing (he doesn't really say) that these "blazes" were actually rings painted entirely around the trees.

If I'm not mistaken, these mark the boundary of wildlife areas (and perhaps tree-cutting areas). For instance, bear hunting is allowed on one side of the trail and not on the other side.

I've seen trees with as many as three different color bands painted around tree trunks. I think that was the Virgin Falls Trail or the Fierry Gizzard Trail, if not the AT itself.

Rain:sunMan

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 10:01
Man, I knew you'd get to it before I could correct myself. I was trying to type SO fast......

Sorry.... :D

stumpy
06-22-2005, 13:04
I believe that they mark the Bear Sanctuary. I have run into several Bear hunters in that area (Deep Gap Road) looking for thier dogs. One of them told me that a couple of the trails leading out of Standing Indian Campground run right through a Bear Sanctuary where they are not allowed to hunt. If I had to guess that is what is being marked with the orange blazes.

Reverie
06-22-2005, 13:48
I wish I had taken a picture of them but what I remember is that they were orange rectangles and I saw them mostly right around the cutoff to the scenic view on top of Standing Indian. They were definately orange and they were not rings BUT they were not consistant. Sometimes they would look like a conventional blaze, sometimes they appeared in sets of two or three but I could never figure out what they meant. I camped on top of the mountain that night and a bunch of us tried to figure out what they meant. One guy thought they might have something to do with trail maintenance.

Reverie

jensine
06-22-2005, 14:10
The orange blazes in the Standing Indian Campground Basin are horse trails.

max patch
06-22-2005, 15:50
What are you up to these days? Hope you are enjoying your retirement.

jensine
06-22-2005, 15:58
Working on the house and landscaping, etc. Enjoying life. Taking s few short
trips. Doing what we want when we want. Thanks for asking.
Jensine

orangebug
06-25-2005, 12:05
I've understood that the orange blazes are boundaries for the bear sanctuary, and that there are no horse trails on the AT in the Nantahala. Some horse trails cross the AT in the area.

There are lots of these blazes along the AT on Standing Indian and less frequently in other areas.

bigcat2
06-25-2005, 16:36
The orange markings are designating a NC Wildlife area boundry.

jensine
06-26-2005, 12:31
Sorry, but the Orange Blazes are to designate Horse Trails. For 18 years I sold the Standing Indian Basiin map, that showed all the trails in the area.
There is a horse camp at Hurricane Creek, it's been there for years.
One of the Horse Trails is Big Indian Loop another is part of Long Branch Trail.
For those of you who still don't believe me, please call the Wayah Ranger Office at 828-524-6441. Or if you want proof positive, hike the area yourself
on an orange blaze trail, but watch where you step!!!

Bolivershagnasty
06-26-2005, 13:06
I've noticed those "burnt orange" markings too up there. I didn't know but now after reading this my guess is that it is the "bear sanctuary" because the bear sancturary signs start right after those markings which start at the trail thats leads back to the campground there at the summit. (short cut "lower trail I think) As a mater of fact my daughter and I are hiking that 10 mile loop from kimsey creek to At to lower trail today and tomorrow. I'm leaving in about 30 min.:bse..Staying at the Standing Indian shelter tonight. They definitly are not horse trail markings it's clearly smack dab on the AT and go right up Albert mountain. And John Wayne couldn't get a horse up Albert mnt. I'm sure its the Bear sanctuary markings now they follow one another now that I think about it. I have 35mm pics of the bear sanctuary signs but cant get them on this putor. I'll take one of the orange markings today and try to post them here this week. Well "un into thy hills we go" :jump

orangebug
06-26-2005, 15:14
I suspect that we are discussing two seperate types of blazing. There may be orange paint on horse trails in the Standing Indian basin. The burnt orange tree markings I've seen aren't nearly as well applied as blazing, and appear to be a quick paint swipe circling the tree or making a large mark. These appear just as Bolivershagnasty describes.

In other words, it is both a floor polish and a desert topping!

sherrill
06-27-2005, 11:19
New Shimmer! That takes me back to the day.

SGT Rock
06-27-2005, 12:02
Jensine! Have't seen you post in a while. I hope everything is going well for ya'll now that you are out on your retirement from Rainbow Springs.