PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Sleeping Bag Sept - Oct ?

Chair-man
03-14-2013, 19:46
I going to be hiking from Amicalola to Neels during the last week of Sept or first week of Oct. Do you think a fleece sleeping bag will be OK for that time of year? I will be bringing a down parka and merino wool long johns. Plus I'll have my convertible pants and frogg toggs that I can bundle up in if I hit a cold streak.
I just don't want to spend the $ on a quality WM bag if I don't need it. I'm already spending a small fortune already for this trip and I think of all the other gear I can get if I don't have to buy WM bag now :D. I won't be hiking on the AT for another year or so after this. I don't want to buy a cheap bag just to come back a year later and have to get a good bag.
I already own the fleece sleeping bag and I think it's rated for +50. So what do you think?
A fleece bag should be ok?

Don't risk it get a good bag?

Donde
03-14-2013, 20:02
Don't risk it get a real bag. That doesn't have to mean WM costs (worth it but) though. You can get a totally decent 20F bag for $200 or less. I can think of a few from NF, REI, and Mtn Hardware off hand. If you look at REI, check the outlet website sometimes you can get a steal there.

bigcranky
03-14-2013, 20:09
I tried a fleece bag once in July at 5000 ft in Virginia and froze my tuchus off. No way I would use it in late September even at "only" 3500 ft.

You could get something like the Kelty Cosmic 20 for about a hundred bucks. It's not ultralight and it's not WM, but it's a decent bag especially for the price. And it'll work for a year before your thru.

FatHead64
03-14-2013, 20:27
I just got that one (and a liner) and it's all right. Rolls small, just heavier than the good ones. For now, I like it. Many pounds lighter than the one I took to Philmont 30 years ago.

FatHead64
03-14-2013, 20:33
I got it at USoutdoor.com - they seem to have pretty good prices most of the time.

swjohnsey
03-14-2013, 20:35
People worry way too much. You're only lookin' at three days. You can get reliable weather 10 days out. I wouldn't have a problem with no sleeping bag.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2013, 20:46
Look for a good quality bag used.

If you ever think you will use it again, go ahead and buy it now. You will save money in the long run.

Plus you get more use out of it.

The only reason to not buy it, is because you simply dont have the money. It will only be more expensive in future.

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 22:01
It's dicey, I would get a bag myself. I carried my Fleece the 4th of July weekend in the Smokies & the 1st night at #32, I slept with my vestibule opened & use my fleece as a blanket, the next day I climbed slightly higher to #31 & slept with my vestibule opened but inside my zipped up fleece bag, the next night I climbed higher to Le Conte Shelter & slept in my fleece bag with all my clothes on including rain gear & it was uncomfortably cold.

prain4u
03-14-2013, 22:40
I have used fleece bags (with and without a liner). Here are a few points:

1) They are rarely (if ever) as warm as they are rated. (i.e. a 50 degree fleece bag is closer to 55 degrees or probably 60 degrees)

2) Fleece bags are actually (in most instances) heavier and bulkier than a lightweight "real" sleeping bag.

3) I looked at the historical weather trends for the area. (Closest weather location with a long history of data was Gainesville, Georgia). I looked at the AVERAGE daily low temps and the RECORD low temps for September 21 to October 10. The AVERAGE daily low temperatures ranged between 50-61 degrees for that period of days. The RECORD daily low temps for those dates ranged between 28-45 degrees.

You would REALLY be pushing the lower temperature limits of your sleep system--even on an "average" night. If you hit overnight low temps that are anywhere near the record lows--you would definitely freeze your butt off.

If there is a way to have a "real" sleeping bag or quilt, I would go with that option.

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 22:48
Just remember, they are Called the Mountains for a reason........They make their own weather! Better safe than sorry, but hey do what you feel is good for you, you can easily bail in that section.

Venchka
03-14-2013, 23:01
I will be the second person from Texas to say "just go" with what you got. You say you will have more clothes than I carry to the Canadian Rockies in October or July when we had snow 3 times.

Wayne

Chair-man
03-15-2013, 05:21
I have used fleece bags (with and without a liner). Here are a few points:

1) They are rarely (if ever) as warm as they are rated. (i.e. a 50 degree fleece bag is closer to 55 degrees or probably 60 degrees)

2) Fleece bags are actually (in most instances) heavier and bulkier than a lightweight "real" sleeping bag.

3) I looked at the historical weather trends for the area. (Closest weather location with a long history of data was Gainesville, Georgia). I looked at the AVERAGE daily low temps and the RECORD low temps for September 21 to October 10. The AVERAGE daily low temperatures ranged between 50-61 degrees for that period of days. The RECORD daily low temps for those dates ranged between 28-45 degrees.

You would REALLY be pushing the lower temperature limits of your sleep system--even on an "average" night. If you hit overnight low temps that are anywhere near the record lows--you would definitely freeze your butt off.

If there is a way to have a "real" sleeping bag or quilt, I would go with that option.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to get some kind of down sleeping bag. I've been trying to get the right gear the first time. The Kelty cosmic 20 is a 600 fill and weighs over 3 lbs. My pack weight is already too heavy. I'm just going to save some $ and get a WM megalite or ultralite. Thanks again.

bubonicplay
03-15-2013, 05:47
Check out EE

Venchka
03-15-2013, 06:10
Good decision. A WM bag will be with you a long time.
Unless you are cold natured, I don't see the need for a down jacket, except inside the fleece bag. Down vest-always-I never leave home without it. Down jacket? Maybe late October, early November. That's for me, who wears shorts very late in the year. YMMV.

Wayne

daddytwosticks
03-15-2013, 07:17
If it was me (cold sleeper), I wouldn't do it. If the weather forecast shows no cool/cold weather, go for it. Your clothing will supplement the fleece bag. Just be prepared to possibly be uncomfortable. After all, it's just a few days. :)

HooKooDooKu
03-15-2013, 09:28

Yea, I've lived that. I tried a fleece bag for a summer hike in the Smokies last year (4,000 ft. elevation). The bag was 2 pounds at doesn't compress well. I survived fine, but was chilly all night.

Several places have last years model of the Moutain Hardware Ultralamina sleeping bags on sale ($150). So I decided to replace the fleece with a 32 degree bag. Same 2lb weight and compresses really small.

flemdawg1
03-15-2013, 18:02
Yea, I've lived that. I tried a fleece bag for a summer hike in the Smokies last year (4,000 ft. elevation). The bag was 2 pounds at doesn't compress well. I survived fine, but was chilly all night.

Several places have last years model of the Moutain Hardware Ultralamina sleeping bags on sale ($150). So I decided to replace the fleece with a 32 degree bag. Same 2lb weight and compresses really small.

Sounds like you shoulda learned your lesson right there. It still in the mountains but now you're going in the FALL.

flemdawg1
03-15-2013, 18:03
Oops different guy with same avatar.