PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts on freeze dried chicken and hamburger

twilight
03-14-2013, 21:00
Looking for information on freeze dried chicken and hamburger, like how does it taste, how to prepare it. Found them on Packit Gourmet. Thinking of using the chicken cause I can't find the blasted foil chicken pouches anywhere and I came across an interesting trail recipe for hamburger sliders. Let me know what you think?

Twilight

Stir Fry
03-14-2013, 21:06
Both are great and have many uses. I think they are good enough that I have 10, #10 cans of hamburger and 4 Chicken in preperation for my thru in 2014. It the only thing I am planing to have mail dropped.

Stir Fry
03-14-2013, 21:08
Oh Packet Gourmet is a good place to order a small amount from but the jack the price a little to much for me. You can get #10 cans from Mountainhouse at a lower cost per oz.

pelenaka
03-15-2013, 01:26
Thrive brand long term food is what we prep for emergencies so that is what we use for hiking. They sell 3 lbs "pantry cans" and #10. Hubby just came off a year of being unemployed (personal emergency) we used Thrive brand whole powdered milk which is similar to Nido brand, for our everyday drinking needs.
This company is set up like tupperware/pampered chief in that you can have home parties or what we did was a book party since there was no rep in our area. The Thrive rep sent us a samples of items we were interested in like powdered sour cream, mango, whole milk.

To answer the OP's question on dehydrated meat I prefer chicken over beef, dislike ham. But that's just me. Hubby liked all 3. I've never tasted sausage.
There are directions on dehydrating hamburger on the web.

http://www.shelfreliance.com/foodstorage

Dogwood
03-15-2013, 03:05
I've had actual dehydrated chunks of chicken and imitation(soy based) looks like chunks of chicken. Don't know if I did anything wrong reconstituting it but it has always been chewy to me.

Aughra
03-15-2013, 06:16
I bought some through Honeyville. They are pretty good.

Tuckahoe
03-15-2013, 07:49
Oh Packet Gourmet is a good place to order a small amount from but the jack the price a little to much for me. You can get #10 cans from Mountainhouse at a lower cost per oz.

Thats my frustration. I am not a preper and there is no way that i could use #10 cans just by myself, and it turn Packit Gourmet is about the only place to get smaller packaging. But boy you pay for it.

ChuckBrown
03-15-2013, 08:00
Packet Gourmet is great. I have purchased #10 cans from MH. I have a foodsaver, so I break it down into individual servings and seal. As long as seal is not broken they can last for years.

Stir Fry
03-15-2013, 10:31
Packet Gourmet is great. I have purchased #10 cans from MH. I have a foodsaver, so I break it down into individual servings and seal. As long as seal is not broken they can last for years.
25 yeal shelf life if cans not open. I have resealed in a vacum seald bag and used over the course of a year.