PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Peanut Butter & Chocolate?

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 21:39
I saw this a the grocery last night, has anyone tried it? Thoughts? It say mix 2 tbl spoons with like a quarter cup of water? I wondered if it'd be worth it to save some space in my bear canister to take a ziplock of this vs a jar of pb??

swjohnsey
03-14-2013, 21:43
Take a look at the calories per ounce. Regular PB is about 160.

miloandotis
03-14-2013, 22:03
If it's PB2 it's only 45 ca, 1.5 g fat, 5g carb and 5g protein per 2 TBSP. Used by a lot of folks who are watching calories but don't want to give up the PB.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2013, 22:06
Curious. You can't really dehydrate chocolate and PB as they don't have much water to begin with, so reconstituting with water doesn't make sense. Chocolate is mostly fat and sugar. PB is mostly fat and protein. Both are already about as calorie dense as you can get.

wornoutboots
03-14-2013, 22:12
It was PB2?

miloandotis
03-14-2013, 22:13
PB2 is made by Bell Plantation. They slow-roast and then press the peanuts to remove as much fat as possible.

Dogwood
03-14-2013, 23:37
I saw this a the grocery last night, has anyone tried it? Thoughts? It say mix 2 tbl spoons with like a quarter cup of water? I wondered if it'd be worth it to save some space in my bear canister to take a ziplock of this vs a jar of pb??

If you are talking about Bell Plantation PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, YES. It tastes just like regular peanut butter with, IMO, undertones of chocolate. If you are looking for something with more of a chocolate flavor, as I sometimes do with this product, I add a 32 gram(about 1 1/8 oz)packet of something like Justin's Peanut, Hazelnut, or Almond Butter which are not powdered. Justins also sells these 32 g packets in Chocolate Almond and Chocolate Hazlenut(Delish) flavors if you want to avoid powdered PB.

I'll usually do something like: 1)mix the Bell Plantation Powdered PB into oatmeal pre-hike saving the packaging wt and volume of hauling non powdered peanut butter, potential messy clean ups of non-powdered PB, and avoiding any messy storage concerns in my pack. 2)mix it into Ramen(throw away the mostly salt and MSG Seasoning packets Ramen comes packaged with) or Soba Buckwheat Noodles or Annie Chun's Rice Noodles with a bit of sesame seeds, dried chives, soy sauce(no MSG), and red pepper flakes to make it like the cold tahini flavored noodles one can buy at most Chinese fast food places but with a little kick. I most often eat this warmed though. You can add some chicken, tuna, jerky etc to the mix too. Certainly possible to make this trailside the night before and eat it cool for lunch or for snacking the next day, All these noodles cook FAST. 3)do an Asian/Indian inspired trail dish by mixing the powdered PB with powdered coconut milk(or dried coconut flakes if having a hard time locating dried coconut milk, Trader Joes sells small packages of Dried Roasted Coconut Flake that are delish) and a bit of red curry mixed over instant brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, etc. and perhaps some dried edamame(immature dried soybeans) and dried onion or chives(DELISH!)

2 TBsp. is 45 cals. Yeah, the peanut oil is mostly pressed/dehydrated out but there could be other goals in mind, other than just cals. /oz., as I mentioned if opting for this product!

Ingredient list: roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar, salt
*** NOTICE anything else on the list? NO!

Take a look at the calories per ounce. Regular PB is about 160.
Yeah, but be careful! Most large grocery store bought PB these days(Jif, Skippy, certainly Walmart's Great Value line, etc) contain high amounts of hydrogenated oils. Many non-powdered Peanut Butters are mixed with some form of oil in addition to the peanut oil that's naturally present which is the reason why the higher cal./oz. ratios. For example, the Justins PB that I mentioned above is mixed with Organic Palm Fruit Oil, which IMHO is a whole lot better for you than ANY PB with hydrogenated oil. I do think brands like Jif, and Skippys make PB varieties without hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Look for non-powdered PB like that! IMHO, no human should be putting hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in their body. Being an athlete or a hiker even more so! Heck, I wouldn't feed it to my dog!

Crusinsusan
03-14-2013, 23:48
I don't like the PB2 with chocolate, as it doesn't really taste chocolaty .....but I *love* the straight PB2 version. I add it to my plant protein shake (life's basics plant protein powder) ....yummy! It's even better with 1/2 a banana :banana added. BTW....it's 2 tablespoons powder to 1 tablespoon water. I plan on using both on the trail....but may add in the nedo full fat milk powder to add fat/calories back in. I don't care for other powdered peanut butters....way weird stuff in them, although I hear trader joe's makes a good one...but you have to add salt to it.

Dogwood
03-15-2013, 00:15
Oh, forgot to mention, besides mixing the Bell Plantation Powdered PB2 with chocolate or another non-powdered nut butter such as Justins for additional flavor I also do it to increase the overall cals./oz. of the two together. My goal is to avg 120+ cals./oz. with my entire trail food haul BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN, at least to me, that every individual ingredient or every individual meal/snack has to have that high of a level of cals./oz. Powdered PB DOES NOT have to be off the trail food list because its lower cals./oz. than non powdered PB! Balance it out! You probably already do that with other foods/ingredients, like when mixing lower cals./oz. powdered protein with a higher cals./oz. ingredient, if you are cals./oz. aware.

Odd Man Out
03-15-2013, 16:31
Yeah, but be careful! Most large grocery store bought PB these days(Jif, Skippy, certainly Walmart's Great Value line, etc) contain high amounts of hydrogenated oils. Many non-powdered Peanut Butters are mixed with some form of oil in addition to the peanut oil that's naturally present which is the reason why the higher cal./oz. ratios. For example, the Justins PB that I mentioned above is mixed with Organic Palm Fruit Oil, which IMHO is a whole lot better for you than ANY PB with hydrogenated oil. I do think brands like Jif, and Skippys make PB varieties without hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Look for non-powdered PB like that! IMHO, no human should be putting hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in their body. Being an athlete or a hiker even more so! Heck, I wouldn't feed it to my dog!

Recently all the big companies, and even store brands, are making "natural" versions of PB, which is good news. There still have the sugar and added oils like "regular" BP, but with only natural ingredients (i.e. no hydrogenated oils). I like these better than the natural peanut butters that are just 100% crushed peanuts. I find these to be dry and hard to spread and the oil separates. Plus they tend to be more expensive. But that's just my personal preference.

Dogwood
03-16-2013, 00:52
Yeah, OMO but through your personal preferences you often come to opinions which is what most of WB posts are so let it fly especially when you bring it in a constructive informative way like you just did. Keep sharing. I certainly learned a thing or two from your posts. I like your assessment of the products you just mentioned. Never thought of it just like that. I agree with what you said too.