PDA

View Full Version : A.T. thru hiker's companion V.S. The A.T. guide by "Awol"??

John Reist
03-14-2013, 21:49
hiking NOBO this May I was wondering which book is preferred or better..? My father is all about the companion (finished the 2200 miles last year). While I would go this route I have already purchased "awol's" guide accidentally and wondering if i should exchange or just use it. P.S. i also have the data book

HikerMom58
03-14-2013, 21:52
I would keep the AT Guide book. Have a great hike. Welcome to Whiteblaze! :)

max patch
03-14-2013, 22:06
While I wouldn't go thru the hassle of an exchange - either book will get you down the trail - the Companion is the book updated by hikers, prepared by the ALDHA, and sold by the ATC. Seems to me as hikers that is the book we should support.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2013, 22:38
I'm starting to think you need both at some point. I find the Companion format useful at home for overview planning and is the format I'm used to seeing. The AT guide is formated in a manor which looks more trail friendly. I will use the Guide for the first time in the field soon, so we'll see how that goes...

FarmerChef
03-15-2013, 08:49
I hike with both. Either one will get the job done nicely. You'll actually get even more information from other people ON the trail than your chosen guide ;)

Lyle
03-15-2013, 14:02
AT Guide is my preferred format. More info, better layout. Plus more choices on direction/binding.

RED-DOG
03-15-2013, 15:54
I always use the AT compannion but i think the AWOL book has more details about towns. since you already got the AWOL book go ahead and use it, it's way more helpful than the data book