PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy bear canisters locally in GA?

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 06:19
Hey, all. I need a bear canister by next Friday. I am afraid if I order one from REI, it may not be here in time. Are there amy places in mid/north Georgia that sells them? I am in Athens, amd don't mind driving a couple of
hours to get one.

Thanks,
Allen

jburgasser
03-15-2013, 08:09
There are 2 REI's in Atlanta (1 between Dunwoody and Sandy Springs and 1 off I-85 north of North Druid Hills). You don't need a bear canister if you're hiking the A.T. There is only a 5 mile stretch (Blood Mountain area) where you can not camp overnight without one. But you can certainly plan your hike to cover that section during the day.

Good luck! Ickybod

moldy
03-15-2013, 09:42
You can pick them up for free at several shelters North of Blood Mt. this time of year as they are discarded as a weight savings measure. It's better to use the bear cables and bear boxes provided at the shelters anyway. There is also the scoff factor as your fellow hikers make comments about spending your money on that thing and then lugging it out into the woods. The same stores that sell those canisters sell snake bite kits, tin whistles and bear bells, you also might want to get some garlic to hang around your neck.

hootjm
03-15-2013, 09:55
Last time in was in the REI in Buford they had some on hand.

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 10:14
I am doing Woody's Gap to Blood Mountain and back next weekend, and was told that I need one by other members on this forum. If I can get away with not using one, that would be great. I heard it would be busy on the trail this time of year, and I didn't want to get out there and all of them be used up.

jburgasser
03-15-2013, 10:31
I am doing Woody's Gap to Blood Mountain and back next weekend.
In that case, pretty sure you need one if you are spending the night at Blood Mountain Shelter. Anybody know if there is a bear box at that shlter?

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 11:37
Well I don't have my notes with me, but I was thinking that I was going to camp at the Lance Creek campsite Friday night. Hit Blood Mountain for lunch and to check out the views, hike back down to Slaughter Creek (or whatever it is called), and camp there Saturday night. Then head back to Woody's Gap Sunday. I will be in a tent both nights. I like my tent better than a shelter in most cases. I think Slaughter is in a bear section

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 11:39
Also, anyone know if I can just hang a bear bag in a tree? I don't mind doing that.

max patch
03-15-2013, 11:58
There are no bear boxes in GA. In the 5 miles zone from Jarrad to Neels if you are spending the night you are required to have a bear cannister. Hanging a bear bag from a tree or using the bear cable thingees at the shelters doesn't count. Ursack doesn't count. Here is a map of affected area:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

max patch
03-15-2013, 12:08
Amazon sells bear vaults and the 2 day shipping has never failed me.

Ewok11
03-15-2013, 12:45
You could try REI in Buford or Bass Pro at Discover Mills (I don't remember the new name of it) which is an easy drive down 316 from Athens.

Dogwood
03-15-2013, 13:39
If you feel you must buy a bear canister I was just in the Perimeter REI near Sandy Springs. I saw Bear Vault bear canisters on the shelves.

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 16:41
There are no bear boxes in GA. In the 5 miles zone from Jarrad to Neels if you are spending the night you are required to have a bear cannister. Hanging a bear bag from a tree or using the bear cable thingees at the shelters doesn't count. Ursack doesn't count. Here is a map of affected area:

That's exactly the way I understood it. Thanks for reassuring me.

I think driving to REI is gonna be my safest luck. I trust Amazon, but I have had a shipment late due to a broken down truck. My luck...

MuddyWaters
03-15-2013, 18:21

You only need a cannister if you have toiletries, garbage, or food to put in it. You dont need one , if you have nothing to put in it.

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 20:09
I've got to eat, amigo! I'm not ready to play "Les Stroud takes on the Appalachian Trail with nothing but a pocket knife and a harmonica" just yet.

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 20:14
Okay. I have my notes available with me. On the map that Max Patch posted, the Lance Creek Campsite and Slaughter Creek Campsites are not listed. I have only read about them in various places on the web. I am not 100% if they exist, and where they are located. Based on my research, my hike should be expecting this:

Woody's Gap: 0 mi.
Lance Creek Campsite: 3.2 mi.
Woods Hole Shelter: 6.9 mi.
Slaughter Creek Campsite: 7.4 mi.
Blood Mountain Shelter/summit: 8.2 mi.

Can anyone verify this? That would be absolutely appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen

max patch
03-15-2013, 21:06
Lance Creek is a couple miles S of Jarrard Gap and thus in not shown on the map. Slaughter Creek Campsites are not far from the intersection of the AT and Slaughter Creek Trail on the map. Your mileage numbers are correct.

Kennesaw REI sells bear cannisters but does not rent them.

BuckeyeBill
03-15-2013, 21:10
Every place you listed except for Woody's Gap and Lance Creek Campsite is inside the bear canister zone.

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 21:26
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'm going to REI this weekend. Do I have to put my toilet paper in there? I have always kept it in a zip loc bag...

max patch
03-15-2013, 21:42
An extra $80 plus or minus $20 isn't a whole lot in the context of a weekend outing, but if this was the only time I thot I'd need the bear vault I'd take a hard look at my planned itinerary .

If anybody was going to rent one of these things it'd be Mountain Crossings since they are right there at ground zero. It'd be worth a phone call or email to them.

max patch
03-15-2013, 21:45
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'm going to REI this weekend. Do I have to put my toilet paper in there? I have always kept it in a zip loc bag...

No..........

Malto
03-15-2013, 21:54

Only scented toilet paper goes in your canister. That includes the used kind of scent. :confused:

AllenIsbell
03-15-2013, 22:11
An extra $80 plus or minus $20 isn't a whole lot in the context of a weekend outing, but if this was the only time I thot I'd need the bear vault I'd take a hard look at my planned itinerary .

If anybody was going to rent one of these things it'd be Mountain Crossings since they are right there at ground zero. It'd be worth a phone call or email to them.

I can foresee myself using it every year, so I'm not opposed to dropping the dime on one. I hear that the Bear Vaults are pretty common, but I think I like the Bear Kegs or Garcia bear container better. I'm going to get all of my food/toiletries together too see what size I need to get.

Only scented toilet paper goes in your canister. That includes the used kind of scent. :confused:

No scented, used or new, will be included in my pack haha.

Dogwood
03-16-2013, 00:31
Allen, I thought there was a Half Moon Outfitter in Athens. Call them tomorrow. If they don't have canisters for sale they would probably know where you could get one in a pinch that might be closer than one of the REIs. Even if you do decide to go to REI you probably should call first to make sure the store has them on hand so you don't make a wasted trip.

Here's contact info fort HM in Athens.
Half-Moon Outfitters
1225 S Milledge Ave Athens, GA 30605 (http://www.mapquest.com/?le=t&q=1225%20S%20Milledge%20Ave,%20Athens,%20GA%203060 5&maptype=map&vs=map&ICID=mqdist_patch_athens) | Get Directions » (http://mapq.st/directions?q=1225%20S%20Milledge%20Ave,%20Athens,% 20GA%2030605&maptype=map&ICID=mqdist_patch_athens)

706-548-7225

AllenIsbell
03-16-2013, 11:24
I had no idea about Half-Moon's Outfitters. Thank you for telling me about them! I am actually on my way home from REI right now. I got the BV-450. It looks like it's going to be a perfect container/seat/table/bear toy.

I'm going to check out Half-Moon sometime soon. They may be a good Academy alternative.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 11:45
You don't need a bear canister.

leaftye
03-16-2013, 11:49
Do I have to put my toilet paper in there?

Do you mean toiletries? While toilet paper is part of your toiletries, the toiletries recommended to put in a bear canister is soap, toothpaste, scented floss, shampoo...stuff like that.

max patch
03-16-2013, 12:01
You don't need a bear canister.

He has chosen to spend the nite in the required bear cannister zone. He is obeying the law. He's doing the right thing.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 13:34
What law theirs no law stating you got to have a Bear canister before a person hikes in a certain section the GATC only reccomends that you have one in the blood MT area, the ATC only suggests that a person uses the bear cables, or hang your food bag useing the rope a person should be packing and follow the LNT practices, "LAW" now thats a funny joke.:datz

max patch
03-16-2013, 13:44
What law theirs no law stating you got to have a Bear canister before a person hikes in a certain section the GATC only reccomends that you have one in the blood MT area, the ATC only suggests that a person uses the bear cables, or hang your food bag useing the rope a person should be packing and follow the LNT practices, "LAW" now thats a funny joke.:datz

You're the guy who swore up and down last year that Rainbow Springs -- which closed 2005ish -- was still open.

Not only is it a law not camp between Jarrard and Neels this time of year without a bear vault; but if you get caught you are subject to a fine of up to $5,000.

Stuff on the trail changes constantly.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 13:58
First i didn't say it was closed what i said is it changed names, and i hike in the section all the time and i never take a bear canister and i never heard of a LAW.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 13:59
Also i will say whatever the hell i want to on these threads.

leaftye
03-16-2013, 14:01
Also i will say whatever the hell i want to on these threads.

Gotcha. You intend to spread incorrect information.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 14:23
It is what it is.

Northern Lights
03-16-2013, 15:04
You can pick them up for free at several shelters North of Blood Mt. this time of year as they are discarded as a weight savings measure. It's better to use the bear cables and bear boxes provided at the shelters anyway. There is also the scoff factor as your fellow hikers make comments about spending your money on that thing and then lugging it out into the woods. The same stores that sell those canisters sell snake bite kits, tin whistles and bear bells, you also might want to get some garlic to hang around your neck.

Not one person scoffed at me, and I carried mine 157 miles. And no one scoffed at my bearbells. I will carry them until the day I quit hiking, or the Canadian flag rubs off of them. And then I will try to find more.

AllenIsbell
03-16-2013, 16:02
Lots of hostility in here!

Not one person scoffed at me, and I carried mine 157 miles. And no one scoffed at my bearbells. I will carry them until the day I quit hiking, or the Canadian flag rubs off of them. And then I will try to find more.

Yeah, I have never heard of someone talking crap about bear canisters. To be honest, I may carry mine if I need it or not. It would make a great seat or small table if my surroundings are all wet. It's not too heavy, either.

I saw the bear bells at REI today. Almost picked one up.

Sly
03-16-2013, 19:05

ignorantia legis neminem excusat

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5351877)

Northern Lights
03-16-2013, 19:53
Lots of hostility in here!

Yeah, I have never heard of someone talking crap about bear canisters. To be honest, I may carry mine if I need it or not. It would make a great seat or small table if my surroundings are all wet. It's not too heavy, either.

I saw the bear bells at REI today. Almost picked one up.

Someone here suggested putting reflective tape on bear cannisters, I have it on mine and it works great if you are trying to find it in the wee hours of the morning, if you have stashed it away from your campsite. I bought my tape at a hardware store.

AllenIsbell
03-16-2013, 20:34
That is a very good idea^.

What do you guys recommend as far as distance to place bear containers away from your campsite? I don't mind stashing it somewhere, but should I cover it up with leaves, put in in a tree, or ??

I am afraid someone may steal it to be honest.

max patch
03-16-2013, 22:21
i don't know the answer to your question, but I had to laugh when I saw the instructions of the box to put the bear cannister "downwind 100 yards from your tent". If I did that I'd lose the darn thing before a week was up.

Northern Lights
03-16-2013, 22:22
That is a very good idea^.

What do you guys recommend as far as distance to place bear containers away from your campsite? I don't mind stashing it somewhere, but should I cover it up with leaves, put in in a tree, or ??

I am afraid someone may steal it to be honest.

lol, no one wants to carry one! So don't worry about someone stealing it other than a bear of course. I stuck mine in a tree, threw it on the ground. Stuck it in the shelter with me, asked other hikers if they minded that if I kept it in the shelter one night when it was pissing down rain and I didn't want to run back out after arriving late to a shelter. (it was dark and I never would have remembered where I put it) I like mine, no fuss no muss. No worrying about stinky mice getting in my food.

AllenIsbell
03-16-2013, 22:49
lol, no one wants to carry one! So don't worry about someone stealing it other than a bear of course. I stuck mine in a tree, threw it on the ground. Stuck it in the shelter with me, asked other hikers if they minded that if I kept it in the shelter one night when it was pissing down rain and I didn't want to run back out after arriving late to a shelter. (it was dark and I never would have remembered where I put it) I like mine, no fuss no muss. No worrying about stinky mice getting in my food.

Good points. Man...I HATE the rats out there... I had to listen to one for hours tearing into some ramen that someone left in the shelter. I was too tired to throw something at it lol. There should be mouse traps on the ready at all shelters, all the time, every time.

Sarcasm the elf
03-16-2013, 23:51

I am one of those "my foodbag is my pillow" folks, but I certainly agree that I would never make fun of someone who chooses to carry a bear cannister. If carrying one makes you feel more secure and helps you enjoy your trip more, then it may well be worth it for you. It certainly doesn't cause me any hardship ( as long as you don't make me carry it :rolleyes:)

As one of our fellow members just pointed out, the southern bears are smart have plenty of chances to practice ways of defeating bear bags. Do what you want, I certainly won't hold it against you for taking safety precautions.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93487-just-got-food-stolen-by-bear-on-cowrock-mountain-Georgia

AllenIsbell
03-24-2013, 11:46
I carried it this weekend from Woody's Gap to Blood Mountain and back. Neither a convenience or inconvenience. It only weighs 2lbs, and it kept all of my food in one place, and not crushed. Worked like a charm. Once my food got low, I was able to put my MSR Pocket Rocket and fuel in there. I enjoyed having the extra container, but was it worth the 2lbs? Sure.

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:59
I'm sure its just a coincidence, but a couple weeks ago I noticed that the Kennesaw REI (60 miles from Springer) had 1 small bear vault on the shelf. I was back there a couple days ago - after the highly publicized theft of a food bag from a tree by a bear posted by a WB member - and they had 3 small and 1 large on the shelf.

AllenIsbell
03-24-2013, 21:54
Ha very nice.

Dogwood
03-24-2013, 23:05
I'm sure its just a coincidence, but a couple weeks ago I noticed that the Kennesaw REI (60 miles from Springer) had 1 small bear vault on the shelf. I was back there a couple days ago - after the highly publicized theft of a food bag from a tree by a bear posted by a WB member - and they had 3 small and 1 large on the shelf.

Or, a REI Manager was trying to boost sales of bear canisters? There were 100's of customers in the REI Perimeter store on Sat. Made me feel like I was back at a AT Shelter during thru-hiker season.