PDA

View Full Version : Hammock and tarp strategy...

Spirit Bear
03-15-2013, 11:38
I am a newhiker and have only hiked about 100 total miles on the AT, all weekend trips.This spring I am planning on hiking from Neel's gap up to Standing Indian tofinish up the Ga section.

I have turned into a hammock guy now and have an Eno Pro rainfly for my tarp. Ihave a big Agnes air core pad I use under the hammock with a Car Sun screen Iput underneath. In addition I use a space blanket under the hammock for addedwarmth. I have two sleeping bags, an ultra-light marmot 40 degree and a marmot15 degree bag that is about 15 oz. heavier.

I do get a little chilled under 35 degrees at night hanging so my new thoughtis to just sleep on the ground with the air core using the pro rain fly as aground tarp with one trekking pole. Stake down one side of the hammock thenstake down all 4 sides to the ground as well then use my pole on the other endwith it low, just high enough for me to get my butt in there. I even consideredbuying some nylon to use as a flap with Velcro for the front end when I use itas a ground tarp.

That way when the temps dip below 35 degrees at night I will just ground it, ifabove 35 I can hang. Hanging is much more comfortable than the ground, but getschilly easier.

Any thoughts?

bannerstone
03-15-2013, 11:58
Get an underquilt, find the money and just do it. I think most hammock folks would agree that bottom insulation is the more important. If that part is right, it will allow you to run much closer to or even below the comfort rating of your top insulation.

I often take my 40* quilts into mid 30's with minimal clothing to test the limits of my gear.

If I could have only one underquilt, it would be a partial length 20* down, probably a Hammock Gear Phoenix. I would use a foam pad in the foot box of my sleeping bag or top quilt under my feet.

David

Spirit Bear
03-15-2013, 12:07
Get an underquilt, find the money and just do it. I think most hammock folks would agree that bottom insulation is the more important. If that part is right, it will allow you to run much closer to or even below the comfort rating of your top insulation.

I often take my 40* quilts into mid 30's with minimal clothing to test the limits of my gear.

If I could have only one underquilt, it would be a partial length 20* down, probably a Hammock Gear Phoenix. I would use a foam pad in the foot box of my sleeping bag or top quilt under my feet.

David

Thanks, I will check it out. If I can get an underquilt that weighs the same or less (bonus) than the big agnes air core I will get one. I have heard nothing but great things by people who use under quilts.

MDSection12
03-15-2013, 12:12
Go to HammockForums.Net and ask there...

Tinker
03-15-2013, 20:20
Get an over-and-under quilt like the one in my avatar at left. The hammock goes through the bag, and when the bugs come out the bag and hammock go inside an ENO bug net.

Altarboy
03-16-2013, 09:46
And if you can sew there are plenty of DIY vids on youtube.

Theosus
03-16-2013, 21:01
Hammock gear has awesome stuff! I have their 0* underquilt and a 20* top quilt. The two together are about the same size as my 20* cats meow bag. I've made a DIY underquilt too, but it's only good to around 40, and it's much bulkier.